Guide to run SRLE + REGS + ENB on Medium Systems

I get what you are saying about the amount of savings from 2k to 1k and 1k to .5k, plus how the ground/terrain textures take up more of the screen than armor and weapons. The saving will be greater by lowering the terrain stuff though, from a hardware perspective you have to think about how many times a texture gets applied. The ground textures get put down over and over again and each one needs to take up more and more thread blocks in the GPU to do so. It is more of a performance issue than a VRAM one because each block will call the textures from the GPU's DRAM into the SRAM and distribute it. The larger textures take up more thread blocks though. Going from .5k to 1k or 1k to 2k is actually a 4x jump so the reduction is warranted until you get your FPS in the high 30s because your GPU can do more with all those extra thread blocks (or can do the same thing more times per second = increase FPS).

I know I'm probably talking about some stuff most people don't understand, but if you know how DX moves data from disk to RAM to VRAM to the GPU threads, then you get it.

Yeah good points, I understand that. I guess I could provide more 'options' for people but I kind of consider my GPU already to be lower than what many would consider medium-end and I still can run the game at a playable minimum FPS (=32 or more). 

Also if you have to reduce exteriors to .5k then it might be worth considering whether it wouldn't be better to drop some more parts of the ENB. 

Edited by Nearox

Yes, you are right about ENB, but that is only if your GPU is working hard. Your GPU may actually not be working hard enough because the CPU has a bottleneck. I figured that out after optimizing more and more wasn't working. I finally gave in and dropped a couple gameplay mods to free up some of the bomdardment my CPU was taking.

Well on my 3.5 year old 2500k I never noticed a drop in performance with any gameplay mod, unless they added actors. I know when I switch off Vividian ENB (even with the performance settings) ingame my FPS goes from approx 30-35 to 50-60. 

Well put, just like I don't need a 2k beard I don't expect to miss 2k boots (especially since I'm trying to inflict kempo style justice on my enemies not perform screen archery, although someone using the game to create a rogue's gallery of character portraits would no doubt think differently).

Thanks again for the advice.

Keep in mind though that the boots and hands are often already at 1k. The major savings for most AMB mods comes from chest, legs and the normals. But yeah, the more recent AMB released by Cabal came with 1k options and ddsopting the other 2k ones to 1k max saves you more than 50% of total file size which amounts to a susbstantial VRAM reduction.

Once you have your game stable you can always go back up. For instance you could choose to only ddsopt the *_n.dds to 1k as a middle-way. But if you don't notice that some armor pieces have become 1k, I wouldn't bother with it personally :)

Edited by Nearox
  • +1 1

Nearox, I believe it would be nice if you created the guide based on VRAM like 1GB and 2GB. 

Nearox has 2GB card. Let's finish the guide with his set up first. 

@Neorox

Do you use The Skyrim Distance Overhaul at all in your setup? Thanks.

Edited by thaiusmle

Nearox, I believe it would be nice if you created the guide based on VRAM like 1GB and 2GB. 

I won't be making a version for 1GB VRAM. If you have a low-end card like that then STEP Core is a better option.

Do you use The Skyrim Distance Overhaul at all in your setup? Thanks.

Yep it is already included in the guide.

On top of that, I also use Bethesda Performance Textures - Armor Clothes Weapons and Bethese Performance Textures - Animals and Creatures. You will find that, despite the name, the quality of the textures actually improves a LOT while the size is reduced even more than the DDSopt as the author manually photoshop-edited each texture. There's a few hundred textures in each pack which don't get overwritten by anything so it's another VRAM saver. Put it after the UHRP in your MO order. I prfer Gamwich's textures instead of the STEP-choice Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized. Imo Gamwich reduced the size more while the quality is better.

Thanks for a recommendation about 2K hair. Regarding Gamwich's textures, do you use add-on 2k option?

what is your screen resolution? if i play with 720p my fps gets 30 fps, but if i play with 1080p my fps lower to 18-20. The only preset i can play around 30 at 1080p is Stakado ENB.

I have tested a lot of ENBs preset and they have almost the same impact to the fps. The first and easy method to rise fps are deactivating effects (dof, ambiental occlusion, etc...) but i don´t know how much i will gain reducing textures and it is a lot of work, and you have to reduce them every time the mod change. I have reduced the vanilla and HD textures and the impact is minimum. 

My rig is only a little better than yours: iMac 2011: i7 3.4, 12 gig, 6970 M 2G

Edited by Roberbond

Updated:

- Vividian ENB for 6.012 (check also SRLE's new instructions for reference, removal of ELE etc.).

- Added BUM rules for SMIM-Light.

- Added instructions for Beards, Brows and Hair mods.

- Added Performance Waterfalls option to Realistic Water Two.

Thanks for a recommendation about 2K hair. Regarding Gamwich's textures, do you use add-on 2k option?

Nope, because the ones he made 2k are almost all overwritten by aMidianborn's superior textures and secondly going back to 2k defeats the purpose of reducing the size :)

what is your screen resolution? if i play with 720p my fps gets 30 fps, but if i play with 1080p my fps lower to 18-20. The only preset i can play around 30 at 1080p is Stakado ENB.

I have tested a lot of ENBs preset and they have almost the same impact to the fps. The first and easy method to rise fps are deactivating effects (dof, ambiental occlusion, etc...) but i don´t know how much i will gain reducing textures and it is a lot of work, and you have to reduce them every time the mod change. I have reduced the vanilla and HD textures and the impact is minimum. 

My rig is only a little better than yours: iMac 2011: i7 3.4, 12 gig, 6970 M 2G

Well if I read that correctly you are using a mobile GPU, which is a lot slower than the deskptop version. Think 30-50% less performance. I don't know much about iMacs but I believe it is common for Apple to install mobile versions in their integrated desktops due to size restrictions (and costs considerations I guess). 

One of the best eprformance ENBs I have ever tried is Realvision ENB Version B Performance. It gives about 15FPS more performance on my system than Vividian ENB, even after the tweaks, so you could have a look at that. 

If you find that you really cannot run with ENB, which frankly I wouldn't be surprised about with that mobile GPU, no offense, than you could always try one of the SweetFX presets on Nexus or at https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/61/

Edited by Nearox

Thanks for the guide. Got a bit more performance from Nvidia 750m 2GB SLI. 50-60 fps in door. 30+ outdoor. Surprisingly, I am not noticing much difference VRAM use, may be because of efficiency of ENBoost.

Do you have any recommendation on Reserved memory value in enblocal.ini?

Edited by thaiusmle

Thanks for the guide. Got a bit more performance from Nvidia 750m 2GB SLI. 50-60 fps in door. 30+ outdoor. Surprisingly, I am not noticing much difference VRAM use, may be because of efficiency of ENBoost.Do you have any recommendation on Reserved memory value in enblocal.ini?

1) If you have DDSopted everything you should definitely notice a large VRAM reduction, to the tune of 200 - 500MB less depending on the scenario. However, as you are running a 2GB card, you may not actually observe the reduction because even before you did anything in this guide, your VRAM - assuming you had SRLE + REGS - would have been at or near the 2GB limit almost constantly. This should have resulted in more offloading to the RAM, which decreases your FPS and is probably the primary cause of stutter that many seem to experience with ENBoost when overloading the VRAM. 

2) My enblocal has ReservedMemorySizeMb=128 as I read Boris saying some time ago that is what he uses on his 2Gb card. Results are system-dependent though. If I put that setting on =64, then I experience quite a bit more stutter. At =256, I have the occasional CTD

Edited by Nearox
  • +1 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.