D&D 4e: Why I don't like the Dragonborn race (and other peeves for the system)

WilliamImm

I was going to post this on the Argonian Fins mod thread, but I'm posting here because I really don't want to completly derail my own thread. In short, I do not like the dragonborn race in D&D 4e. And yes, name's the same with the Skyrim protagionist - so if you were expecting a rant on that (why would you), this thread isn't for you. If you don't play or are not interested in D&D 4e, then this thread is also not for you, and may fly over your head.

So, why don't I like the dragonborn race? The thing that bugs me the most about it it that it's become one of the two most favored races of 4e, the other being the tiefling. This bugs me, because WotC could have gave extra content for the races and classes that could use some more meat, but nooo, let the dragonborn choose between 3 ability score options (when most races only get two) instead of giving the Battlemind something to actually do other than Brutal Barrage all day, or giving other races useful and cool feats.

But there's also a major stylistic aspect of the race that bugs me. No, not the breasts on the females (through I don't think it makes much sense) - but the fact that it falls flat on it's major selling point: It doesn't really look that much like a dragon. Sure, the head is very draconic, but it pretty much ends there. It notably omits proper wings - something that has appeared on nearly all other draconic races and draconic options before, but not here because having flight is completly broken for some reason. Not when omitting draconic wings makes the race fall into uncanny valley, and doesn't make it interest players who are looking for a draconic race to play.

These issues did factor into the TRPG I'm working on off-site, Born of Legend (which I will post when the initial playtests are ready). I'm trying to make an effort to avoid giving too much support at once to a particular race or class, no matter my (or anyone else's) personal preference. There is a draconic race there (called the Dragonkin), which is intended for those times when you want a draconic character. Importantly though, it actually has functional wings, which help it look like an actual dragon.

If anyone wants to discuss this or any other peeves with the system, go ahead.

(Note to those reading: I actually really like D&D 4e, mainly for the engaging tactical combat it had. Born of Legend's combat is itself heavily inspired by the system in 4e.)

Totally with you. In fact it's one of the reasons I couldn't get the 4e books from a friend. All of the ones I know that play on the table top dislike 4e and mainly because of the races if I'm understanding right. I know one of them the one I'd likely be getting the books from thinks that and the spells feel a little too much like an MMO or something.

I'd probably have to rant at a few of the things I noticed while looking through the books since our game 'finished' Will but I'm in no shape to right now, *phazer11 needs food badly* if anyone gets that reference I will be greatly amused.

Totally with you. In fact it's one of the reasons I couldn't get the 4e books from a friend. All of the ones I know that play on the table top dislike 4e and mainly because of the races if I'm understanding right. I know one of them the one I'd likely be getting the books from thinks that and the spells feel a little too much like an MMO or something.

I'd probably have to rant at a few of the things I noticed while looking through the books since our game 'finished' Will but I'm in no shape to right now, *phazer11 needs food badly* if anyone gets that reference I will be greatly amused.

How old are you? That game is 30 years old by now. Now I'm reminded that I owned a Sega Master System.

How old are you? That game is 30 years old by now. Now I'm reminded that I owned a Sega Master System.

It's ok you can cry, let it all out.

*Pats back*

As for my age. I'm only 21. I did however play the PS2 version of the the Gauntlet Legends expansion (Guantlet: Dark Legacy) which got me hooked so I borrowed one of my mom's friend's Atari (and his collection of games) and then no 'retro' console was safe as I soon borrowed the NES, SNES, and got out my Sega Dreamcast...

@Teabag

Not at all. I don't play the table top versions anymore but there are places where you can play online, such as RPG Crossing. It's nice if you can get a group of writers or such in the same campaign.

• 4 months later...

I've found Pathfinder to be a worthy successor to D&D (3.5). Not really impressed with what I've seen of D&D 5 so far, sticking with Pathfinder seems to be the best option for now.

Pathfinder is a good system, it does carry forward some of the underlying problems of 3.5 though (even though much better balanced as a whole). After level 12 well built casters simply start to take off and overshadow everyone else.

I personally love D&D 5. It simplifies a lot of imho unnecessary rules, they are very straight forward. It's power curve amplifies the level range that was most enjoyable in 3.5/PF stretching them.