Reputation, and tracking its changes

redirishlord

Question

So, I notice my reputation in my STEP profile has suddenly tanked. I'm able to use the "reputation" tab to see the posts related to reputation changes, but not the users contributing the points (up or down). Reviewing the posts I can't see how the majority are anything but helpful or at least inoffensive opinion.

tl;dr

Is there a way to determine if I really ticked off a particular STEP user?

Yes, although I think its other people who are hard for me to be around so I have to make myself hard to be around so they will take a hike and I can get a bit of solitude, but same idea (I'm just pushing the blame off on everybody else). These forums are a fantastic buffer, I can be alone & connected at the same time. I expect the star citizen persistent universe will be dangerous (for me anyway) in that regard, probably a good thing ESO didn't strike my fancy.

>> ninja'd, btw sense is in no way common.

Edited by redirishlord

Weird, I thought there was a limit of 1 rep point that can be issued by the same member every day.@Eproctor: I don't get the feeling that Star Citizen will require you to hang out with a crew. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of MMOs can be still be played without having to deal with guilds (Rift, SWToR, LoL/DotA...)

I'm finding that as time goes on it is harder to be nice to the not smart people after the first couple questions. WHY CANT YOU JUST BE SMART!!!

You should come hang out here in North Africa, not-so-smart people is the reason why I became asocial. ::P:

You should come hang out here in North Africa, not-so-smart people is the reason why I became asocial. ::P:

North Africa? Like the Sahara? No thank you, I already live in a desert that gets up around 45 and don't want to know how much worse 50 is. :no: Also, there seems to be a bit to much war in those continents over there at the moment. Plus, I don't like living within a km of sea level. High elevation training keeps me sharp. :ninja:

I think it is one rep point per post.

Ah, reputation system, one of the biggest mistakes of modern forum software.

I had my share of fans in here as well, getting negative rep for random posts just because I dared to post something.

Hope the admins can sort it out for you, this is a bit over the line.

Edited by Octopuss

Cool.

And you know what? You (along with William and the few other most "loyal" fans) win. I'm out of here. No need to visit forums where significant amount of regulars dislike you.

If any of the admins/mods feel like it, go ahead and ban my account if you want to make sure I don't accidentally come back.

When you post a comment saying people should not press a button because it is silly, then people will press it just for fun! No need to get all angry over that! I admit I was tempted to upvote it just because it was fun! :) 

Also if you feel like you are being treated wrongly then you can pm any of the staff with the issues and it will be taken seriously. This will produce a much better result than making a public post about it. 

I'm glad you got the negative votes taken care of.  

I've been on forums for years now, and many of them have used reputation systems as well.  Reputation is something I've always tried not to pay attention to, but can't seem to help it, LOL.  On a forum a while back there was someone who did the same thing to me as someone did to you, and the Admins wouldn't do anything about it.  ::(:  

Another forum I was on, if you left someone a negative vote, you were required to submit a comment, and include your username so the person knew it was you.  I don't know if that's something that could be used here though.

When you post a comment saying people should not press a button because it is silly, then people will press it just for fun! No need to get all angry over that! I admit I was tempted to upvote it just because it was fun! :) 

Yeah, it's like those big red "DO NOT PRESS" buttons. I couldn't resist it. :D

The user in question has been given a formal warning and this issue has hopefully been resolved. Moderators and Staff can view the warning to see the user's reply and what was done.

I went ahead and did a few upvotes to return you closer to where you were (your at 7+ now).

This topic is going astray and not in a good way. I'm locking it.

We don't allow members to see who voted up/down on posts due to cat fights that would undoubtedly erupt. The member that did this did so without justifiable cause and has been formally warned.

@redirishlord

Unfortunately, there is no way to alter votes given by any member AFAIK, so they do stick. It looks like you are positive again due to some community kindness, but we don't advocate mercy voting just as we reject malicious down voting.

Rep systems are limited and should not always be taken at face value.

That said, the system is a decent indicator of member "likeability-by-consensus", and I'd say that it is working in this case still, although there was an unfair anomaly (which your fans seem to have corrected).

Happy posting, and thanks for contributing