"dotnet is not installed" error

Frejoh466

Question

I'm having an "There are potential problems with your setup" message,

dotNet is not installed or outdated. dotNet is not installed or the wrong version. This is required to use NCC. Get it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

I did use the guide, uninstalled .Net with the tool, downloaded and installed 4.0 didn't work, then I tried the latest version 4.5.1, did not work(anti-virus was disabled during the time). It's on Win7(could not use Create System Specs, becuse it "is limited to users in the group: Users.") Mod Orginizer is up to date. And I'm using it for Skyrim.

@Tannin Doesn't the portion of Nexus Mod Manager we use require .Net 4? I was pretty sure when compiling it that it required 4. If it indeed needs .Net 3.5 to work, than I need to change that on the wiki guide as well.@Frejoh466Actually, Skyrim includes the .NET 3.5 redistributable when you install it on Steam, so how you do not have it is beyond me. At any rate, navigate to your Skyrim folder and locate the DotNetFX folder. Inside there is the dotnetfx35setup.exe. Make sure you run it as administrator.

It's completely possible the dotNet-check isn't up-to-date with what NCC requires. NCC has been updated more frequently than that test, so...

It's also rather crude, checking for the presence of a specific registry key, but I haven't found a clean way to check for the dotNet version from a native application.

Been awhile since I was on Windows 7. You might need to turn it on by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Features On and Off > .NET framework 3.5.

Thank you sir. Built a new rig, on Windows 8.1 actually, and could not figure out for the life of me how to get rid of this error in MO. This worked perfectly.

Edited by Vexzarium

The problem is that MO is still looking for an obsolete version of the .NET libraries. This is ongoing and progressive, as the current version for Windows 7 (actually NT and up supposedly) and up is now 4.6.1 and you cannot install any previous version if you have this one installed.

Since other applications use .NET and may require a more recent version, MO needs to be able to detect the presence and version of .NET, no matter which version it is (ideal situation), or just not bother checking since it is everyones responsibility to keep their own computers up to date.

Here is an example of how to detect the presence and current version of .NET installed on a computer, it took all of 5 seconds to find with Google and works for all versions of the library that have ever existed:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2009/06/16/sample-code-to-detect-net-framework-install-state-and-service-pack-level/

Note that there are two versions. The preferred method of use is to use the first version to detect and the second to verify the install state and version.

Edited by GlassDeviant

The specific issue here is that Mod Organizer is using .NET 3.5 and versions of .NET prior to 4.0 require jumping through a few hoops with assembly redirects to bind to a newer version of the framework like this. .NET 4.0 and later have this built in so they automatically bind to the earliest matching version of the framework installed (e.g. DLLs requiring 4.0 automatically use 4.0, 4.5, 4.6, or 4.6.1 and DLLs requiring 4.5 automatically use 4.5, 4.6, or 4.61 depending on which one is found on the system).

Of course, you should be able to go into control panel, programs and features, add/remove features and install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 so all this is relatively moot.

So I just had this problem. I solved it by editing my registry, seems excessive to me. :(

There was no add features in my version of windows 7 control panel / programs and features.  :(

I am a little curious why i am having it 2 1/2 years later?

I do not mean any offence, i am just curious.

dotNet is not installed or outdated. dotNet is not installed or the wrong version. This is required to use NCC. Get it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

​i came across this when i had reinstalled my fresh windows 10, and was rushing my installs , ie steam, but i hadn't installed any games, i had back ups which i had just copied from a drive to the steam common folder.

i didnt even even launch my game, just installed MO to the game folder. Rush Rush Rush!!! Excited Excited Excited!!! i was!!! to have a fresh set up with games on.

My FIX was, launching game in question, as shown with picture. and then installed what was needed It SOLVED straight away.

If anyone does encounter this in the future, which they shouldn't do if they take their time

ME

problem will be solved Happy Gaming Everyone.

post-12236-0-70478900-1521607836_thumb.png

• +1 1