General Feedback

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my daft questions! I missed the userlist.yaml, will give it ago. Even without it game is running super smooth, even with a couple extra mods, but I´d rather do things the right way from the start, I suppose problems could creep up on you later on otherwise :P

The guide will be updated with more information about timescale since it is important but there isn't much detail. I'm not sure where the comment came from about Wrye Flash not using the Globals and Tweak Assorted parameters; it might be correct but I'm not sure. The time setting in the Globals parameter in the bashed patch isn't needed since FWE includes a menu entry for timescale, with a default timescale of 1:5. If FWE isn't used the Wrye Flash parameter may be useful. If the Powered Power Armor mod is used, the rate of power usage is set for a timescale of 1:5 and if timescale is changed the PPA parameters need to be adjusted. There is also an Immersive Timescale mod that changes the timescale depending on whether the player character is inside or outside; this might be useful as long as PPA isn't also used.

To view the timescale using the console use the "show timescale" command. To change it with the console use "set timescale to x" where x should be between 5 (the FWE default) and 30 (the game default). For me 30 is much too fast. Of course the console isn't needed to change it since the FWE menu provides this capability.

The guide will be updated with more information about timescale since it is important but there isn't much detail. I'm not sure where the comment came from about Wrye Flash not using the Globals and Tweak Assorted parameters; it might be correct but I'm not sure. The time setting in the Globals parameter in the bashed patch isn't needed since FWE includes a menu entry for timescale, with a default timescale of 1:5. If FWE isn't used the Wrye Flash parameter may be useful. If the Powered Power Armor mod is used, the rate of power usage is set for a timescale of 1:5 and if timescale is changed the PPA parameters need to be adjusted.

Well, I'm using FWE and PPA so I guess I'm Ok then. Thanks.

So, I just saw the mention of purified water not quenching thirst. Do we have a solution for that? You talk of a manual patch after the bashed patch but no further instructions are provided. Will it work if I simply delete references to purified water in the DIFF.esp. I'm happy to trade off the unique icon for the thirst quenching effects.

Edited by Dennai

I created a new patch plugin named CPD_Ingestible_Patch that fixes the compatibility between DIFF and the FWE-related ingestibles affected by DIFF. It is included in the patches included in FO3_Guide_test_plugins.7z mentioned in the guide. It can be placed at the end of the load order. Alternatively DIFF.esp, DIFF WMK.esp, and CPD_Ingestible_Patch.esp can be merged into a single plugin; CPD_Ingestible_Patch should be loaded last when this is done. The resulting plugin can be loaded before the bashed patch and can be merged into the bashed patch; add the bash tags for DIFF.esp and DIFF WMK.esp to the merged patch plugin.

I created a new patch plugin named CPD_Ingestible_Patch that fixes the compatibility between DIFF and the FWE-related ingestibles affected by DIFF. It is included in the patches included in FO3_Guide_test_plugins.7z mentioned in the guide. It can be placed at the end of the load order. Alternatively DIFF.esp, DIFF WMK.esp, and CPD_Ingestible_Patch.esp can be merged into a single plugin; CPD_Ingestible_Patch should be loaded last when this is done. The resulting plugin can be loaded before the bashed patch and can be merged into the bashed patch; add the bash tags for DIFF.esp and DIFF WMK.esp to the merged patch plugin.

Thanks a lot, Kelmych. That was the last boulder on the road to start my new playthrough. Finally, I'm ready to go after a month and a half of deciding to play this beloved game again. For some mysteriously dark reasons, my copy of Fallout 3 seems to think to be FNV, i.e. starts working wonkily when approaching 140 active plugins. It took me a lot, but I ended up with a modlist that I'm really happy with. Let's hope gaming goes as smoothly as the final testing.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you merged DIFF.esp, DIFF WMK.esp and CPD_Ingestible_Patch.esp, you need also to change masters in the TWPC dealing with DIFF, right? Or the changes in your patch made that specific TWPC unneeded?

Edited by Dennai

For some mysteriously dark reasons, my copy of Fallout 3 seems to think to be FNV, i.e. starts working wonkily when approaching 140 active plugins. 

I´ve noticed FO3 can be sensitive when using many mods, my sweet spot is usually between 190 and 210 before it gets wonky, usually giant exclamation marks and unable to loot. Remove any mod and all is fine.. I´ve learned to live with it. And I´m finally ready to do a new playthrugh again too, although honestly I´ve probably never played through more than a third of the game before :P 

I´ve noticed FO3 can be sensitive when using many mods, my sweet spot is usually between 190 and 210 before it gets wonky, usually giant exclamation marks and unable to loot. Remove any mod and all is fine.. I´ve learned to live with it. And I´m finally ready to do a new playthrugh again too, although honestly I´ve probably never played through more than a third of the game before :P 

I know it happens to other too, but it seems I'm the unluckiest one when it comes to reaching the sweet cursed spot. You have to do a lot of juggling and merging when 140 is the limit, specially if like me, you like to add a lot of content for exploration and quests. Believe me, at this point, having a limit of "only" 180 plugins it's something I see like a golden dream, let alone the 255 we are suposed to have.

I'll let you now that Queued has uploaded a beta version of NVAC that, quote, "should fix the Windows 10 Anniversary Update + up-to-date Nvidia / AMD video driver crashes / issues for the following:
Fallout New Vegas, Fallout New Vegas No Gore (German), Fallout 3 and Oblivion".

I won't be trying myself anytime soon because after almost expending almost two months (that included a full holiday week) in making FO3 working, the mere idea of any extra tinkering fills me with cold sweat, shivers and a need to cuddle on the floor and whimper, but i'm sure it could be useful for a lot of people if it works as intended.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you merged DIFF.esp, DIFF WMK.esp and CPD_Ingestible_Patch.esp, you need also to change masters in the TWPC dealing with DIFF, right? Or the changes in your patch made that specific TWPC unneeded?

The resources (icons) installed by DIFF are needed for the TWPC patches that include DIFF in the plugin name, but the TWPC plugin doesn't need the DIFF plugin; it isn't a master.

There will be an edit soon to the guide that includes mention of this patch plugin and the new version of NVAC.

I know it happens to other too, but it seems I'm the unluckiest one when it comes to reaching the sweet cursed spot. You have to do a lot of juggling and merging when 140 is the limit, specially if like me, you like to add a lot of content for exploration and quests. Believe me, at this point, having a limit of "only" 180 plugins it's something I see like a golden dream, let alone the 255 we are suposed to have.

I have around 170 plugins in the C&PD guide-based MO profile and I haven't had problems with the number of plugins. The guide does not include details of merging specific plugins (with one exception that was taken from the FNV guide) yet, but if there is enough interest because of users having problems with this these can be added. The DIFF merger and a TWPC merger that I mentioned would likely be the best candidates.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a bit of hankering to play FO3 again, but probably won't have time before 6-ish months... :-(

Random question - have we seen some new resources appearing for Fallout 4 that are useable as part of this FO3 project ? There's precedent as the guide uses FONV resources, and my vague impression is that the engine hasn't progressed that much with FO4.