General Feedback

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried this guide about a year ago and my game was crazy unstable. I think the issue was GFWL and the various other Steam version bugs. Today I picked up the GOG version of Fallout 3 (which is DRM free) and wanna try to follow this guide again and actually complete it.

Wondering if there are any dependencies for the guide that require me to use Steam? I know I will not need GFWL remover and the steam launcher, but is their anything else I will need to keep in mind?

I'm led to believe the GOG version of both the Fallout games just released have LAA enabled by default, so there's one bonus right there.

You should see no issues regarding not using Steam when following this guide.

I'm led to believe the GOG version of both the Fallout games just released have LAA enabled by default, so there's one bonus right there.

You should see no issues regarding not using Steam when following this guide.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is LLA?

Edit: oops, you said LAA. Based on a google search its Large Address Aware. Anyhow, thanks for the response

Edited by Ethan

• 4 months later...

Just so that Kelmych knows (if he doesn't already), but Museum of History Expanded  has been update to version 2.0 from version 1.4 (which is at the guide) and now has an optional file.

Also, the Brooken Looktout Retexture and the Broken Steel Retexture links to Adonis_VII Dropbox are not working.

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...

It may be worth noting that the GOG.com version of FO3 solves "all kinds" of start up issues. I'm showing the installation and setup process for GOG and Steam in my next video.  (the video series in progress will be showing how to install 95% of CaPD).

GOG does not need:

-Windows Live Disabler (comes with a live file and the program itself is not needed). The "LIVE" button on the main menu cannot be remove with Windows Live Disabler as the Disabler won't work (states that it's disabled already and can't be used on launch).

-Comes 4GB aware out of the box. Doesn't need Large Address Aware Enabler.

-Can be played offline. 

Generate Tags for Wrye Bash question:

Should this be run for each mod? Would it help make things work better? I am brand new to it. I read what was written in the CaPD guide and it makes sense but I wouldn't yet know anything about how to manually check them all? Happy to have some guidance. If it can "make things better" I'd love to learn how. 

EDIT:

At the beginning of the Setting up Mod Organizer section it says that Wrye Flash will need extra steps (along with 3 other programs) though Wrye Flash is the only application that doesn't actually show any extra steps being performed with Mod Organizer (I don't think I'm missing them?)

Would love confirmation on this as I don't know how to check? (would love to be shown how to check too lol).

I've read that the Fallout 3 Steam version has a built in memory leak due to DRM. Someone posted (without explanation of proof) that the memory leak is fixes on GOG versions of the game due to their being no DRM. If there was a leak and it is fixed on GOG Versions that would be something major, no?

Not sure about the bash tags. Makes it more manageable I suppose to do so after each new mod is installed, but it may also be just as easy to do it when they are all installed, trial and error I guess.

As to what you describe as "memory leaks". Perhaps you are referring to the LAA flag being enabled on the GoG version. This means you don't need to patch it to make it use the available memory that more modern software does in Windows. I've not heard about any such memory leaks on Steam games due to their DRM.

Regarding Bash Tags it's not Bash itself that I'm talking about but the script for xEdit, Generate Tags for Wrye Bash. I don't even know what half the tags do... time to learn = ) 

Yeah, it's something different than the LAA flag. Was curious if this was a fact or people just blurting non-sense = ) I came across a comment where it mentioned memory leaks on reddit (I'm still not entirely sure what memory leaaks are lol... I assume memory gets caught in some sort of usage loop and over time the save can't utilize any more of it because it thinks you "ran out"?... I really don't know lol... no one has ever been able to give me a straight definition for it). So I googled Fallout 3 memory leak, FO3 DRM leak and various other things... I found a few people who mention that FO3 has memory leaks but only the one person who said it had something to do with DRM. No clue. I figured if it was "a thing" then somewhere here would have heard of it. I can always count on STEP to set me straight = ) It's fun to be modding again.