General Feedback

A memory leak basically means the game needs to allocate a block of memory for something but forgets to free this memory when it's no longer used so this block of memory can never be used by anything else. If this is a one-time leak in the application for a small block of memory, it's probably not a big deal. Where it gets to be a big deal is when the application needs to allocate memory for the same thing over and over and over again but never frees that memory so it can't be used by anything else.

A real world analogy might be you buy a box of cereal every time you go to the grocery store but you never throw throw out the old boxes. Over time your pantry is full of unopened, half-eaten, or empty cereal boxes so you no longer have room to store new groceries.

I can't really think of a good non-morbid real-world analogy for this, but the operating system reclaims all memory used by the game after the game exits or crashes.

A real world analogy might be you buy a box of cereal every time you go to the grocery store but you never throw throw out the old boxes. Over time your pantry is full of unopened, half-eaten, or empty cereal boxes so you no longer have room to store new groceries.

I can't really think of a good non-morbid real-world analogy for this, but the operating system reclaims all memory used by the game after the game exits or crashes.

To extend the analogy, the operating system acts like your mother coming over and throwing away all the old cereal boxes.  :)

Edited by Mator

Generate Tags for Wrye Bash question:

Should this be run for each mod? Would it help make things work better? I am brand new to it. I read what was written in the CaPD guide and it makes sense but I wouldn't yet know anything about how to manually check them all? Happy to have some guidance. If it can "make things better" I'd love to learn how.

EDIT:

At the beginning of the Setting up Mod Organizer section it says that Wrye Flash will need extra steps (along with 3 other programs) though Wrye Flash is the only application that doesn't actually show any extra steps being performed with Mod Organizer (I don't think I'm missing them?)

Many of the mods in the guide don't add resources in plugin records that overwrite vanilla resources, so these don't need bash tags. I used the Generate Bash Tags scripts on some of the mods in the guide and then examined the results in FO3Edit. I added the bash tags for these mods to the userlist.yaml file I created for the Fallout 3 guide available here. It would certainly be good to look at creating tags for more of the mods in the guide, but this hasn't been done yet. Note that the weapon and other patches that are part of TWPC and the plugins they patch don’t need bash tags since the TWPC patches load after the bashed patch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We don’t include any links to mods that the mod author hasn’t approved since this violates the mod author’s rights. It also violates the terms of use of the Nexus if the mod was originally downloaded from the Nexus. The Nexus has been trying to get mod authors who no longer want to maintain a mod to give the rights to the Nexus and they will make arrangements to maintain it so it doesn’t get removed from the Nexus.