Tried everything but: SKSE + Mod Organizer = CTD

stamstamstam

Question

Hello,

Before starting this topic, I've been looking for a solution for a long while.

I followed different "tutorials" in order to make SKSE work along with Mod Organizer, but every time I use SKSE through Mod Organizer, the game CTD on launch.

I have the latest versions of both programs, no mods activated, the game works fine when using skyrim launcher/skrim exe through Mod Organizer.

Of course I copied .exe and .dll in the main skyrim folder, and archived the scripts in a new .rar that was added to mod organizer.

But what the hell? Nothing works.

When using SKSE WITHOUT Mod organizer, I mean copying the files the regular way, it works.

It's clearly the combination of both programs that doesn't work.

And I can't use my mods if I don't use Mod Organizer to start the game.

Please help me, it's getting very frustrating.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am not seeing a SKSE.ini in the SKSE folder.

Open the SKSE folder in windows explorer and create SKSE.ini and paste the following into it and save:

[General]ClearInvalidRegistrations=1[Memory]DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768ScrapHeapSizeMB=256[Display]iTintTextureResolution=2048

Edit: This should be done in the scripts mod you created.

I did create skse.ini, I just removed it while attempting different manipulations, it's not the problem. (just put it back and still crashing)

I also tried running MO as Administrator.

When I install SKSE manually and start it using the loader (not through MO), it works fine. Of course I need MO if I want to use my mods.

Crashing when activating SKSE in MO + manual install (skyrim folder) and starting through MO.

Crashing when installing manually and starting through MO.

Crashing when installing only in MO and starting through MO.

Works when using skse_loader in skyrim folder.

Edited by stamstamstam

Yep I did that too, still crashing.

Does that mean I have to reinstall everything some place else? It took me like a whole week to install everything (I was stupid enough to start the game using skse_loader in the skyrim folder, so I didn't notice it was broken in MO).

Is there a simple way to move the mods I have installed without having to download everything again?

How do I install Skyrim to a different location through steam?

Why would SKSE work as intended when using the loader in the skyrim folder, and crash when lauching it through MO?

It has to be a compatibility problem with the latest versions?

Edited by stamstamstam

Gopher describes that here: https://youtu.be/PYY1OV2_ZTk?t=3m2s and we recommend not doing it here: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Installation

The only way to move it would be to re-install Steam to a different directory. For example, mine is located at: E:ProgramsSteam. The Programs folder is one I created myself on a separate partition so Windows User Control doesn't kick in when I modify things. You could also add a Library Folder in the Steam settings and just re-install Skyrim to that folder so your not re-installing all of your Steam games. Then you can move MO to the new Steam installation and correct your executables in MO to point to the new location. At least that way you're also not having to reinstall all the mods.

It can't be an skse-MO incompatibility, because it works for us. You must have something wrong, but I really can't tell what, as I can't find a reason why it would. As it is, I need all the information you can give me. Did you install it EXACTLY as installed here? https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

And here

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#tab=Third_Party_Programs

Steam is running at launch of SKSE, correct?

I did everything as specified in the step tutorials + it wasnt an update, fresh install.

Now see what happened: started "skyrim" exe via MO, crash. I was like "what the hell", launched skyrim launcher via MO, it worked, then started skyrim via skyrim launcher, it worked.

Ok, now I tried running skyrim exe again via MO. it worked (??). Now, launching SKSE via MO, it works... what the hell.

I promise I didnt change anything...

Ok, now Im activating my mod list (step core) nd start skse; crash. Nice, now have to go through the whole mod list and check them one by one, unless it's skse not working again.