Fallout3.exe fose_loader.exe - won't launch from MO

perrob

Question

Hi,

I can't seem to get Fallout 3 to launch from Mod Organizer. I was sure it worked a couple weeks ago, but for whatever reason I can't get it to launch either the main Fallout.exe or fose_loader.exe. It just exits MO like you'd expect, then nothing. No new process sitting in the background either.

It *does* launch the Fallout Launcher, but then telling it 'play' does the same as before... launcher exit, back to desktop, no message or box or anything.

I can launch all 3 exe's from the desktop, but of course I get a CTD after the first logo (missing master crash I think?). I've used the LAA enabling program on fallout.exe but it made no difference to this.

Any help would be appreciated!

15 answers to this question

I've seen 4 situations when MO fails to launch Fallout 3 through FOSE. They probably don't apply to you but:

1. FO3 launcher needs to be run outside MO once to set .ini files and registry entries

2. Steam needs to installed outside of any UAC directories

3. If LAAis used GFWL need to be disabled

4. The multi-core ini tweak may be needed; it was needed for my system

I forgot one. If you have too many unextracted BSAs (based in total character count of the BSA names) there is a problem in MO. This is mentioned in the FO3 guide, but perhaps not strongly enough. I might put in the specific instructions in MO to enable BSA extraction while installing MO so the choice comes up whenever a mod is installed that includes a BSA (vs. wAiting until a problem occurs).

I think it is a hard cap of the Data folder for Fallout of the number of BSAs loaded by plugin. If they are INI loaded then there can be tons of BSAs of for FNV, I think Queue raised the cap to 8100+ characters, but F3 may still have the INI limit as well.

I'd suggest keeping the larger ones packed and the smaller ones extracted. As for the cap I believe it is 32, but it may be lower.

I'm having similar issues, I can't play from MO, if I try to the game opens and CTDs after a second. It happens only through MO fose, fallout3.exe and fallout3launcher.exe but if I launch the game from steam or directly from fose everything works fine!! My OS is Windows 8.1, I used CFF to enable more than 2gb (not LAA) from the fallout.exe, don't have any mods installed, put the fose files (without src folder) in the right directory the fallout goty root (not in data), I have the game installed in C:Games so it's not in program files, I tried the multicore fix, I tried to disable GFWL, I tried to delete the .ini files run first from vanilla skyrim and then from MO but nothing! I tried everything I can't get it to work and it's getting frustrating, I really don't understand what is going on here :(

Anyone can help or has an idea of what is happening? @_@

Edited by DoNotBend

I have this problem now after I installed a new video card. I'm not sure if this changed my ini files or something? FNV works fine but I cannot get the FOSE to run in MO for F03. The regular launcher for steam comes up instead in my case. Is there a way to make MO recognize FOSE again? Should I re-install FOSE?

Edited by wimpymilkdrinker

In the past couple of days, I have also experienced the more and more frequent problem that FOSE won't start through MO. I always get the message that a component of the loader doesn't work anymore.

At first, the loader started whenever I had done a restart of my PC. But since yesterday, that workaround has stopped .. working.

And it doesn't matter which profile I use or how few mods are involved - even a default profile with just the DLCs fails to get going.

And yes, Fallout starts without any problem outside of MO, even when I use the "fose_loader.exe".

Actually, after some experimentation, no exe starts by now via MO, not Wrye Flash, nor LOOT, nor the fallout.exe.

Curiously, I have no trouble whatsoever with my 2nd MO that deals with Skyrim.

Edited by thommaal

I think perhaps you might examine the settings of your AV package. There isn't anything inherently different with the Skyrim MO and the FO3 MO, so if it works for one it will work for the other.

If you are getting messages about missing components then perhaps your AV is quarantining some of the files it thinks are malicious.

MO is installed on my machine for four games and I have never once seen any messages like those described and all of my installs are functioning perfectly well, no issues with missing executables.

I think perhaps you might examine the settings of your AV package.

That was my first suspect too - but I haven't found any evidence that my AV has interfered in any way. But my firewall (Private Firewall) might be involved, even though every critical component in process and application management is explicitly allowed to work freely. Yet, when I closed my LAN connection and shut down the firewall, fose started - at first. A second attempt was not successful. A third one was .. and so on.

Still, I reset the firewall to its default settings - but to no avail.

And uninstalling the Skyrim MO and reinstalling the F3 MO to another location wasn't successful either.

There is obviously some weird interference that only gets troublesome with the F3-MO combination but I have yet to figure it out.

Edited by thommaal

The advanced reports done by my firewall have confirmed its interference. It became suspicious of the MO => fose calls and, consequently, started to block any call to 3rd party tools. I'll look into it a bit more, but I doubt that the answer to the why will be of any interest to the MO developers.

EDIT: found fix as described in this thread:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/8178-fallout-3-goty-vanilla-and-fose-crashes-when-launching-through-mod-manager/

Hi,

I am having this exact problem.

Installed FO3 GOTY from scratch (via steam)

Got the GFWL Disabler working

Installed FOSE

FOSE and Fallout 3 crash when run from MO, but run fine outside of MO

Other executables run ok from MO like Loot and FalloutLauncher (but when i hit play from launcher, I crash)

I then modified the ini files as per Clear and Present Danger - didnt help.

Edited by Michi

EDIT: found fix as described in this thread:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/8178-fallout-3-goty-vanilla-and-fose-crashes-when-launching-through-mod-manager/

Hi,

I am having this exact problem.

Installed FO3 GOTY from scratch (via steam)

Got the GFWL Disabler working

Installed FOSE

FOSE and Fallout 3 crash when run from MO, but run fine outside of MO

Other executables run ok from MO like Loot and FalloutLauncher (but when i hit play from launcher, I crash)

I then modified the ini files as per Clear and Present Danger - didnt help.

If the "fix" you linked to worked for you then I suggest you update your MO installation, that BSA issue has been rectified in later versions.