Freeze & Lagging in New Vegas

StupidFox

(I apologize for the title. I couldn't resist.)I'm getting a lot of lag, stuttering, and freezes that end in crashing. The last one was apphangb1. It was not so much early on (mostly just when NS started rain) but now it's happening more often. I'm running a pretty good system. 8gb ram, quad core, nice video card. Any idea where to start on figuring out what to do about this?

Type pcb into console... I remember my game being perfect until about 10 hours in... I later installed a purger, I am unsure of long term effects.

Unless you are consistently maxing VRAM, generally textures shouldn't do anything to performance

Edited by hishutup

From the FNV quickstart guide for DDSOPT:

Before using DDSopt the first time with Fallout NV, launch the Fallout NV' game at least once so some important Fallout NV registry values are set. Since DDSopt uses Skyrim registry values and BSA formats when processing Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 textures, the Skyrim game should also have been launched at least once. The Skyrim BSA format used by DDSopt is compatible with the Fallout NV and Fallout 3 BSA formats.

What if I don't have Skyrim?

Well, I may be wrong about this and I apologize in advance if I am, but I am not certain that Skyrim nor Fallout have to be launched at all. I suspect this primarily because i managed to run DDSopt without either games installed. I trialed this on my brothers computer where he had never played Skyrim or fallout and i managed to successfully DDSOpt a Mod decreasing its size from 18MB to just 4. So I would recommend trying the optimization and let me know how it goes.

I need to ask Kelmych about this I guess. There is no Fallout name in the dropdown, so I'm unsure how to get it to work. I own all the games so it's not something I've ever dealt with.

You know what, try leaving the dropdown for the game on Automatic. That should work since most .dds files are the same.

I used the automatic as you suggested and it's working or it seems to be. I have another clarification question:

These instructions assume that DDSopt is initially setup with the parameters in the figures in the "Setup DDSopt" subsection at the top of the page. In general for the vanilla textures resolution limit parameter of 1024x1024 for graphics cards with 1 GB cards and 2048 x2048 resolution limit for cards with greater VRAM. The vanilla Fallout NVew Vegas textures create noticeably less VRAM usage that the vanilla textures in Skyrim. The recommended settings are usually adequate for almost all systems.

This seems contradictory. The settings mentioned showed leaving the resolution limit at 8192x8192 for uncompressed and compressed. Here it suggests first that it should be 1024x1024 for 1GB cards (which I have) and 2048x2048 for cards with greater vram. THEN it suggests that FNV textures don't use as much VRAM as Skyrim and that the recommended settings are usually adequate for almost all systems.

So does that mean I should lave it at the 8192x8192 because as it says, "recommended settings are usually adequate for almost all systems" or does it mean I should swap that number to match my vram?

Or is it talking about a different setting than the resolution limit on the constraints tab that was setup earlier in the guide?

Okay, the 8192x8192 is just running the vanilla textures through to correct mip levels and formats. They aren't high enough resolution to affect performance and do not need resizing.

Mods on the other hand, are much higher resolution. Typical landscape textures are 512x512 while many of the NMC Medium and Poco Bueno landscape textures are 2048x2048. That is 8x the VRAM, which means you need 8x the GPU thread blocks to process the same textures. By reducing them to to 1024x1024 your 1GB card gets a nice break by reducing the size of those 2k textures by 4x.

The fidelity of 1k textures is still very good, but performance will tend to go up by as much as 10 FPS in some problem areas like Freeside and the Strip. The main wasteland areas should also get a nice boost. It can be the difference between lots of stutter and a little hiccup here and there.

• Click [ignore] from the main menu and untick [Copy unprocessed and ignored files (passthrough)] if it is ticked.
  • In the Browser Tab, select the Browse button in the upper window and
  • If the file type box in the lower right doesn't say "All Documents (*).(*)" change it so this shows.
  • as the initial source folder, select the "Vanilla Ordinary Textures/" directory
  • If it is not already checked, check the Show Recursive box below the center text-box.
  • In the lower window select the Browse button and then select the "Vanilla Optimized/" directory as the current destination.
  • Change the resolution limit settings on the Constraints Tab to 1024×1024 (or 2048×2048 if desired for graphics cards with larger VRAM as discussed above).
  • Click [Process] to begin optimizing the textures from Vanilla Ordinary Textures/ into corresponding locations under Vanilla Optimized/.

There are no corresponding locations under Vanilla Optimized. The guide might should be updated to state that the program will create the corresponding locations. As written, I was agonizing over whether it meant I need to create that file structure or not. (I decided to just click process and see what happened and now realize it creates the structure). I am just saying this because if it reads "Click Process to being optimizing textures from Vanilla Ordinary Textures/. The corresponding locations will be created under Vanilla Optimized/." It would have been clear. 

Can ignore this if it's not helpful. I just think it'd be less confusing for people reading the guide. Maybe it's just me. :)

Okay I'm trying hard to follow along in this guide, but I'm getting confused.

It says Mods that should be extracted. Then it lists NMC's Texture Pack. NMC's doesn't have a bsa that I can find.How do I get NMC's files into the Mod Extracted folder? Am I just supposed to copy them over?Also, at the end of the DDSOPT guide it says I can move the folders into the Mod Organizer/mods folder. How do I then get them to be used by mod organizer? Do I not have to somehow tell Mod Organizer to layer them over the base game? I'm lost there.

I copied NMC Texture mod into the Mod Extracted folder, ran the 4 bat and it put all the mesh files into Mod Optimized and the Texture files into Mod TMP. So I ran DDSOPT on the texture files. I don't understand what I do with the vanilla files that were moved to MO/mods tho.How do they become the textures used?

Hm. I got the vanilla and NMC textures done. I noticed after the NMC ones were put in that my bodies have lost their proper textures. Roberts has black bars again and the girl is messed up. I didn't add any bsas, I just overwrote the NMC files and it was textures only. That's the only mod I optimized. So the vanilla should not be affecting this because the mods I use overwrite vanilla... Any idea what I should do?