Freeze & Lagging in New Vegas

StupidFox

One thing you can do is just put the newly optimized textures in place of the old ones of MO's left pane. You could delete the originals as well since you have a copy in your downloads folder. No reason to to have two copies unpacked from archive. Only keep what you need to save some disk space.

On NMC I overwrote, so I don't think that's valid? I kept a backup copy to see that it works, but I'm still testing before I delete that. That said, I figured out what was causing all the crashes. It was Zan's Autopurge Anticrash amusingly. >_< So that got ticked off and now I'm back to how it was before. Stutters less, lags less, crashes less. Still lags more than I'd like. Hard to make split-second moments count. I stepped up to a landmine in Nipton that I might have thought quick and disarmed but my screen froze for a few beats and when I came back it'd blown up already. I'm down to like 117 plugins after merging, so I doubt it's just the plugin limit. I just optimized a bunch of textures, so not sure it's that. At this point, I dunno why it's still so laggy.

Go to FNV folder, move the d3d9.dll to desktop. If you get better performance without it then just don't use it.

If you have borderless window, AA, AF, or anything else through enblocal.ini, then remember to open the Fallout INIs in MO and add AA, AF, and anything else like fullscreen.

If performance is worse then you can replace the d3d9.dll. If it is better then delete any other file from the FNV folder that starts with 'enb'.

Removing enboost is what I was gonna suggest. I had similar symptoms but in FO3 while following clear & present danger guide; ridiculous stuttering, mouse pointer delay (couldn't target a damn molerat in real time combat) and in random cases freezing from 2 to even 6-7 seconds. The stuttering while moving my character sideways or while trying to do a full 360â—‹ turn was what frustrated me the most.

Well, as you might guess tweaking around with enblocal settings didn't help at all so I decided at some point to just remove enboost to see if performance was gonna get any worse and voilà. Freeze gone, stuttering gone, mouse lag gone. I'm even running an ENB preset (with enboost removed as I said) and the game runs flawlessly.

That with FO3 for me, but I think you should definitely give it a try with NV.

Enblocal settings as per request:

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=1024
EnableCompression=true

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
KeyCombination=16
KeyUseEffect=123
KeyFPSLimit=36
KeyShowFPS=106
KeyScreenshot=44
KeyEditor=13
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableAccumulativeAA=true

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=false
FixTransparencyBugs=false

Oh gosh yes the ENB seems to be the problem. Took out that dll and soooo smooth! I can't believe how much better. What values do I fix in the base inis to put AA and such back? AF?

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=false

It happened to me

AA AF are not super heavy...

I would also say

EnableCompression=false

Unless you have VRAM problems.

If you did the DDSopt thing with a 1k limit you should be fine...

I have 2GB and I had all 2k and 4k for what I could find

You might want to also reduce

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512

to something really low... 64 or 128

Edited by hishutup

• 1 year later...

I, too, had freezes. Frequently triggered by entering menu(Esc) and Pipboy, and on using qqq.
I didn't need to disable anything. Launching the 4G loader once with " -exe FalloutNV.exe -laaexe .\FalloutNV4GB.exe -SteamAppId 22380" seems to have fixed it, I can now even play without those parameters. Odd.