What did I do wrong? a.k.a CTD's after following the S.T.E.P Guide thoroughly.

TehPenguin

Question

Hello there and welcome to my desperate shriek for help!

After having multiple and continuous issues with modding and after having spent a time amount to fix those issues that was almost equal to my play time... I decided to say goodbye to lazyme and take my time to get through the S.T.E.P guide.

I'll try to keep it short but informative so those of you generous enough to help me don't fall asleep whilst reading:

I installed every mod suggested by the guide, used all of the recommended textures and only the recommended ones. The only exception is the water texture where I choose the 1024 version over the proposed 512(because water is a really important ingredient of my eye candy). I applied only the INI tweaks from the guide and from the Rainbow mod(fLODFadeOutMultObjects in SkyrimPrefs.ini was set to 10).

I also took my time with it(nearly a week)to avoid errors caused by exhaustion from the extensive 'modding'.

So! After getting finished with the guide, applying the finishing touches with LOOT, FNIS, Wyre Bash and Dual Sheath Redux Patch I created a profile named S.T.E.P in hopes for creating a working, modded, platform of the game that I can pick-up and mod to my characters needs.

But before doing that, before modding it further I took the S.T.E.Pped Skyrim for a 'spin'. Everything looked great! I created my character, went through the Helgen sequence and the dungeon after that. So what's my problem?

I played the sequence twice and got CTD'd twice:
1. CTD happened while engaging the first pack of wolfs that attack you right before Riverwood. It happened the exact second as I hit one of the wolfs with the sword. Looked the Papyrus Log up:

[09/07/2014 - 10:44:31PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on (0006E279) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

multiple of those preceded by

[ (2200BAEB)].FXBirdFleeSCRIPT.OnCellAttach() - "FXBirdFleeSCRIPT.psc" Line 21

There were also some missing textures on and around the standing stones but I think it's better we focus on the CTD's at the moment.

2. CTD happened while rounding the corner on the path just before the standing stones(where you stand directly in front of the stones after you've rounded that corner).

[ (2200BAEB)].FXBirdFleeSCRIPT.OnCellAttach() - "FXBirdFleeSCRIPT.psc" Line 21
[09/07/2014 - 11:10:32PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000B6CE1) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

This time the textures loaded correctly.

The thing I do not understand is: I started a completely new game, new save. How can there be missing scripts when I did not remove anything from the game?

My System Specs: https://is.gd/QIraeS

My Mod Manager: Mod Organizer

LoadOrder:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - No Homes - Full Version.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Traps Make Noise.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
Footprints.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
Moss Rocks_DB.esp
Brows.esp
Lock Overhaul.esp
Nausicaa's Tweaker.esp
BFSEffects.esp
NoxUE2.00.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RaceMenu.esp
SMDropLitTorch.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
ShootingStars.esp
SkyUI.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp
Soul Gems Differ.esp
Rainbows.esp
Beards.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
Distant DetailHF.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Light.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
BetterQuestObjectives.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp
BetterQuestObjectives-SkyRePatch.esp
ADS.esp
WetandCold.esp
AOS.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
IHSS.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
Oblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.esp
BirdsHFclean.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Waterfall Effects.esp
Point The Way.esp
HearthfireChimneys.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
PilgrimsDelight.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
STEP Extended Patch.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp
BlockSparkles.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Paralyze.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
Chesko_Step418_SN.esp
iHUD.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
randomthunder.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

ModOrder:

+FNIS Output for STEP
+Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS
+Better Shaped Weapons - All in One Installer
+DSR for STEP
+Dual Sheath Redux
+Bashed Patch for STEP
+STEP - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project
+Even Better Quest Objectives
+When Vampires Attack
+Wet and Cold - Ashes
+Wet and Cold
+Traps Make Noise - More Dangerous Traps
+Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
+The Paarthurnax Dilemma
+The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
+Skyrim -Community- Uncapper
+Skyrim Coin Replacer Redux
+SM Drop Lit Torches
+Run For Your Lives
+Oblivion Gates
+Non-Essential Children
+Lock Overhaul
+Gildergreen Regrown
+Follower Trap Safety
+Dual Wield Parrying
+Convenient Horses
+Come together N Out of the way - Nausicaa-S Tweaker
+ClamsDropPearls
+Bring Out Your Dead
+Auto Unequip Ammo
+Ultra Realistic Crossbow Shoot Sounds
+Ultra Realistic Bow Shoot Sounds
+Thundering shouts
+Smooth blades draw and sheath
+Realistic wolf howls
+Lower Sounding Thieves Guild Door
+Improved Combat Sounds
+Immersive Skyrim Thunder V6
+IHSS - Improved Horse Step Sounds
+Heart of the Beast - Werewolf Sound and Texture Overhaul
+Dragons Shout with Voice
+Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2
+Better Weapon Swing Sounds
+Better Horse Pain Sounds
+Better Animal Footsteps
+White Phial Replacer
+Sweet Mother - the Night Mother Improvement
+Super Realistic Ore Textures
+Soul Gems Differ
+Skyrim Redesigned
+Silly Level of Detail - Wine Cellar -- SLOD WC
+Silly Level of Detail - Potions and Poisons -- SLOD PnP
+Septim HD
+Ren's HD Shrines by Rengel
+Realistic Instruments - Flute Lute and Drum HQ
+Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
+Pilgrims Delight - High Hrothgar Shrine Retextures
+Not Really HD Keys
+N-R HD Display Case
+Mystery Modders Shrines HD
+Intricate Spider Webs
+HQ Paper
+HD Sacks Retexture
+HD Ore And Ingots
+HD Linens
+HD Baskets Retex
+Gemling Queen Dragon Claws
+Enhanced HD Dragon Bones 1k v1.6a
+Enchanting Candle Meshes Improved
+Detailed Rugs
+Dark Brotherhood Tenets Restored - Standard Edition
+Better Shadowmarks
+Better Bones
+The 418th Step
+Skyrim Performance PLUS
+Shooting Stars
+Smaller Ice Spike and Ice Spear
+Running with your Bow Replacer
+Rainbows
+NoMaaM Breathing Idles
+Lightning during Thunder Storms
+Improved Weapon Impact EFFECTS Correct Metal
+Finer Dust
+Enhanced Blood Textures
+Enchantment Effect Replacer
+Dual Wield Blocking Animations
+Deadly Spell Impacts
+Dawnguard Rune Weapons FXS Replacer
+Burn Freeze Shock Effects
+Better Turn Animation
+Animated Weapon Enchants
+Animated Clutter
+Ultimate HD Torch
+Not Really HD Mask of Clavicus Vile
+Nightingale Prime HD
+New Thinner Torch
+Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux
+Skyrim Weapon De-LARP-ification Project
+Gemling Queen Jewelry
+Elemental Staffs
+Closer Quivers and Longer Arrows
+Dawnguard Crossbow Explosive Bolts Visualized
+Better Circlets HQ V1o1
+aMidianBorn stormcloak officer armour
+aMidianBorn imperial light and studded
+aMidianBorn - Content Addon
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Bonemold Hotfix
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Weapons
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Dragonborn DLC
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Creatures
+aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Armors
+aMidianBorn Blade of Woe
+Natural Eyes
+Better males
+XCE - Dawnguard
+XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement
+Dawnguard Rewritten - Arvak
+Superior Lore-Friendly Hair - HD textures
+PondFish and Salmon Replacer - texture
+new children
+More Realistic Hair
+Improved Foot Wraps for females
+Frost Atronach HD Retex
+Female Vampires Have Fangs
+Coverkhajiits
+Brows
+Birds and Flocks Cleaned
+Birds and Flocks
+Better Freckles
+Better Beast Races v2
+Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack
+Beards
+Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack
+Whiterun Trellis Redesigned and HQ
+Vivid Landscapes - Tundra Moss Revised
+Visible Windows
+TreesHD
+The Skyrim Distance Overhaul Beta (S.D.O.)
+The Beauty of Skyrim - Dungeons
+Terrain Bump
+Telvanni reborn
+Stalhrim of Skyrim
+Skyrim Improved Puddles
+Cleaned Distant DetailHF ESM
+Skyrim Distant Detail
+Realistic Water Two
+Re-Defined Dungeons WIP
+Realistic Mushrooms
+Real Wood Textures - Farmhouses
+Real Ice
+Point The Way
+Moss Rocks
+Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One
+Improved Vanilla Mountains HD
+Hybrids HD Plants and Herbs Retexture
+HQ Snow Texture
+HiRes Legible Road Signs
+High Quality LODs
+Hearthfire Chimneys for Skyrim
+Footprints
+Enhanced Night Skyrim
+Enhanced Distant Terrain
+HD Enhanced Terrain
+Dragon Glyphs HD - Fixed
+Skyrim Flora Overhaul Basic Edition v187
+aMidianBorn Whiterun
+aMidianBorn Solstheim Landscape
+aMidianBorn Farmhouse
+aMidianBorn Caves and Mines
+A Quality World Map - With Roads
+Enhanced Distant Terrain 2
+High Quality Food and Ingredients
+Tobes Highres Textures
+HD Misc
+SRO
+Serious HD Retexture Skyrim
+Static Mesh Improvement Mod
+SkyFalls + SkyMills
+Ultimate HD Fire Effects
+Realistic Smoke and Embers
+Ruins Clutter Improved
+Unknown Enchants
+Smaller Cursor
+SkyUI
+RaceMenu
+Lockpicking interface retex
+Immersive HUD - iHUD
+High Quality 3D Map
+Better MessageBox Controls
+Better Dialogue Controls
+XP32 Maximum Skeleton -XPMS
+Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
+Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade
+Trade and Barter
+Smart Souls
+Skyrim Project Optimization
+SKSE -Elys- AltF4
+Ragdoll Paralysis
+Improved closefaced helmets
+Guard Dialogue Overhaul
+Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice
+Fast travel timescale fix
+Double Cursor Fix
+Dead Body Collision Fix
+Cutting Room Floor
+Consistent Older People
+Clothing and Clutter Fixes
+Brawl Bugs Patch - Plugins - Modder Resource
+Bowlegged jump animation Fix
+Appropriately Attired Jarls
+Unofficial High Resolution Patch
*HighResTexturePack03
*HighResTexturePack02
*HighResTexturePack01
+Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
+Cleaned Dragonborn ESM
*Dragonborn
+Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
+Cleaned HearthFires ESM
*HearthFires
+Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
+Cleaned Dawnguard ESM
*Dawnguard
+Unofficial Skyrim Patch
+Distant Decal Fix
+Stable uGridsToLoad
+SKSE Memory Patch
+++ SKSE Scripts 1.7.1 ++
+Cleaned Update ESM
+Memory Blocks Log
+Papyrus Log

If you have any comments on how to improve this post to make it more comprehensible for the potential rescuer, please do.

Cheers,

Penguin

EDIT: Updated with LoadOrder and ModOrder(Thank you Gandaganza)

Edited by TehPenguin

In the Mod Organizer directory, go into profiles, open the respective profile (should be named STEP) and everything is in there :p 

Did you install any Packs?

Posting your load order should help the people who actually understand scripts help you!

• +1 1

Yes it did. I ran it both with MO's fix and without(I kept the STEP profile with the guides order and applied the fix to the new profile). Nothing changed though.

That's what MO complained about:

• Move Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf after Traps Make Noise - More Dangerous Traps
  • Move When Vampires Attack after Thieves Guild Requirements - No Auto Quest Start Brynjolf
  • Move Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade after When Vampires Attack
  • Move The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options after Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade
  • Move The Paarthurnax Dilemma after The Choice is Yours - Fewer Forced Quests - Improved Dialogue Options
  • Move Non-Essential Children after The Paarthurnax Dilemma

Edited by TehPenguin

Weird. Now it CTD'd while riding the carriage to Helgen(pretty much at the gate).

Papyrus says pretty much the same:

[09/10/2014 - 06:59:08PM] ~~~~~ Footprints: Switching to SKSE Footprints, SKSE Installed ~~~~~[09/10/2014 - 06:59:11PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8E9D) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 06:59:29PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8F24) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 06:59:29PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 2 on  (000B8F2A) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 06:59:32PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000B8EF2) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:00:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000654FA) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:00:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000D95FB) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:00:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000D95F5) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:01:02PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000198BC) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:01:02PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 2 on  (000527F1) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:01:05PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (FF000D19) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:01:05PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (FF000D0A) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:01:05PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000AAF96) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

It seems pretty random, though. Now it CTD at the headsman. PapyrusLog stays the same.

[09/10/2014 - 07:05:04PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8E9D) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:05:21PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8F24) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:05:22PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8F2A) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:05:23PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000B8EF2) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:48PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000654FA) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:51PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000D95F5) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:55PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (000198BC) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:55PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 2 on  (000527F1) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (FF000D19) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (FF000D0A) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:06:58PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000AAF96) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:20PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000654F9) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:23PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (FF000D15) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:23PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (FF000D13) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:27PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000654F7) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:34PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000AAF99) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:37PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (000AAF97) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:41PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 4 on  (00105EE3) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:41PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 3 on  (00106B85) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:45PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000AAF9A) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property[09/10/2014 - 07:07:45PM] warning: Property DLC1VampireBeastRace on script zbloodnpc attached to Active effect 5 on  (000AAF9B) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

In an attempt to pinpoint the culprit mod(s) -it there is any- I would try the following (very basic pinpointing method, sorry it's a bit time consuming especially if the CTD is hard to reproduce) :

I will explain it step by step, but as I said, it's a rather basic procedure so you will certainly understand the reasoning quickly.

• Don't activate any of the dynamic/bashed patches. Run LOOT, then experience on a new save.                                                                                                                            

If the same script related CTD still occurs, go on to the next step.

If it doesn't, well you have a better idea with what the problem is related to.

• Backup, then delete Skyrimprefs.ini and Skyrim.ini located in your current profile folder (Mod Organize/Profile/Your_profile) and replace them with the ones that are conserved in your Vanilla default profile folder (they should have been left untouched). Run LOOT, then experience on a new save. 

" -same as above- "

" - "

• Activate only one half of yours mod list (which we will call A). Run LOOT then experience on a new save.

If the same script related CTD still occurs : You know that the problem is related to A mod list combination; and that the other half (B) is theoretically unrelated... Just to be sure, activate only B, run LOOT then experience on a new save. The CTD should be gone, continue on to the next step. 

If it doesn't : the problem is obviously related to B. Go on to the next step, replacing "A" by "B".

• Activate only one half of A (we can call the 2 subsets A1 and A2). Run LOOT then experience on a new save.

From now on it's only rince and repeat the procedure, until you pinpoint down with precision the mods subset combination that cause the same-script CTD.

Just keep in mind that it's probably a mod combination that provoke the CTD rather than a mod by itself, the former being obviously harder to pinpoint...

As basic as it is, hope that can help, personally that's what I do when I'm left with a problem with no idea how to deal with.

Edited by Fereval
  • +1 1

Thank you for your reply! Sadly, deactivating the dynamic/bashed patches did not help and I am afraid deleting the ini files won't do it either since I deleted all skyrim files when I started using MO and redownloaded everything. I will try everything, though. It seems like the rinse and repeat option is my only solution, which is sad news. I followed the S.T.E.P Guide because I wanted to have a stable modded platform but I guess life would be too easy then ^^ I'm still not sure if the guide needs to be revised or did I mess up something.

You have the STEP Extended Patch loaded in the load order at the wrong place.

1. Launch LOOT and make sure you have the correct priority assigned to it

2. Sort plugins

Don't use the Sort button, as it uses an older version of LOOT and doesn't sort quite perfectly.

Edited by DoubleYou