• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 koreador

koreador

Prisoner

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

@pStyl3 Hooray! It worked (kind of  :;): )! I repeated the whole process on a clean Oblivion an MO Install and I made sure to activate the TES4LL-Mod. I also changed the name of the MO-folder to something without "space". I'm not sure which of these changes made it work, but I suppose that forgetting to activate the TES4L-Mod before the first run seems more likely imho.

This is the result after running the tes4ll_ultimate.bat:

Neues%2BBild.jpg

So thanks especially to you pStyl3, but also to everyone who keeps modding Oblivion and through this keeps it from becoming obsolete!!!

Edited by koreador, 02 January 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#32 gruftikus

gruftikus

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Now .. speaking from MO's perspective .. it would be ideal, if these sorts of manual edits wouldn't be necessary, so that TES4LL can be used though MO. I think, that a command line to specify an output folder - like TES4LODGen.exe's -O: argument - could do the job. So that the user can specify, that files should be placed in a custom folder, and not into a static location like $_gamedir\Data\.......

This is easy, each variable can be set in the command line, e.g. like tes4ll.exe _gamedir="blabla".

There is still the additional "Data"-directory at each place, but I think I will change that to $_data, by adding some line like

@!_data SetFlag -name="_data" -value="Data"

it is possible to add a default which is not used when defined in the command line as described above.

Edited by gruftikus, 02 January 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#33 gruftikus

gruftikus

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

I can't say for sure, but what I read once was to do these things in this order:

1. tes4ll_ultimate.bat

2. tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat

3. tes4ll_normalmaps.bat

The first one is used to generate distant meshes for terrain, the second one is used to generate textures for distant land meshes and the third one to create normal maps. Given that, it makes sense to me how that order was presented. #2 and #3 might be switchable, but I am not sure of that.

Everything is completely independent. Only the tes4qlod cache has to be generated before

#34 pStyl3

pStyl3

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

This may sound strange, since Windows is supposed to be case-insensitive but I was still getting files being placed in the overwrite folder and messages in the logs showing this location:

mods\TES4LL\Textures\landscapelod\generated
When I changed them in the tes4ll_all.mpb to match those set by the instructions above, ie. case-sensitive, they correctly were placed into the mod and not the overwrite.

Thanks for the note! Do I understand you correctly? You changed the two filepaths "TES4LL\Textures\landscapelod\generated" inside of "tes4ll_all.mpb" to "TES4LL\Textures\LandscapeLOD\Generated"? Whether or not that is correct, could you please also clarify of which files you were talking exactly (inside the overwrite), so which files were previously in the overwrite, and after the adjustment not anymore?

My observation is:
  • using "tes4ll_ultimate.bat" puts "tes4ll.log" into the overwrite - the actual meshes will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL"
  • using "tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat" puts "tes4qlod.log" + the three empty folders "Textures\LandscapeLOD\Generated\" into the overwrite (those empty folders can be deleted) - the actual textures will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL"
  • using "tes4ll_normalmaps.bat" puts "tes4ll_normalmaps.log" into the overwrite - the actual textures will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL".
So "tes4ll_ultimate.bat" and "tes4ll_normalmaps.bat" put their files correctly into "TES4LL", only the .log files will be in overwrite, and "tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat" is basically the same, only that using this one puts also the mentioned three empty folders into the overwrite.

I tried adapting the "tes4ll_all.mpb" file, but that didn't change anything for me .. the three .log files and the 3 empty folders (through tes4qlod) were still be in the overwrite mod.

@pStyl3 Hooray! It worked..

So thanks especially to you pStyl3, but also to everyone who keeps modding Oblivion and through this keeps it from becoming obsolete!!!

No problem and great to hear. Don't forget to thank especially gruftikus aswell! :)

This is easy, each variable can be set in the command line, e.g. like tes4ll.exe _gamedir="blabla".

There is still the additional "Data"-directory at each place, but I think I will change that to $_data, by adding some line like
@!_data SetFlag -name="_data" -value="Data"
it is possible to add a default which is not used when defined in the command line as described above.

Just to clarify this aswell and to be absolutely sure .. you plan to this all for the next version and this is not already possible, is that correct? In any case, that sounds great.

Everything is completely independent. Only the tes4qlod cache has to be generated before

So that means, that I have to run "tes4ll_tes4qlod_cache.bat" everytime before I want to run "tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat"?

Edited by pStyl3, 05 January 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#35 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yes, you are understanding me correctly. ALL references in the tes4ll_all.mpb that were, TES4LL\Textures\landscapelod\generated, are now, TES4LL\Textures\LandscapeLOD\Generated.

What that means is every file that would go into the 'overwrite' folder now is correctly pointing to the folders as outlined in the TES4LL mod.

Now ALL files are found in the TES4LL mod and nothing is in the 'overwrite' folder, including the logs.

If you are finding the logs in the 'overwrite' it is because they don't exist in the virtual file system when the batch file are run. ie. if you copy those logs into the TES4LL mod and then run them again, they will update the existing files because MO finds them in the VFS. For those files its simply a matter of choice. Do you want them in the 'overwrite' so you are prompted to examine them and then perhaps remove them, or do you just accept them as being correct and they can stay in the mod folder?

The basic thing to remember about what ends up in the 'overwrite' folder is this:

If it exists in the VFS then it SHOULD be updated and not be found there.

Files exist in the VFS ONLY if the mod is active in the left-hand pane.

I've added these instructions to the Oblivion specific MO page.

Do you feel they are accurate enough?

Edited by GrantSP, 06 January 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#36 pStyl3

pStyl3

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

It appears that I "accidently ignored" that aspect of MO (updating known files in mods, instead of placing those known files once again into the Overwrite mod) while trying to figure out, why on earth ..

My observation is:

• using "tes4ll_ultimate.bat" puts "tes4ll.log" into the overwrite - the actual meshes will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL"
  • using "tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat" puts "tes4qlod.log" + the three empty folders "Textures\LandscapeLOD\Generated\" into the overwrite (those empty folders can be deleted) - the actual textures will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL"
  • using "tes4ll_normalmaps.bat" puts "tes4ll_normalmaps.log" into the overwrite - the actual textures will be correctly in the defined modfolder "TES4LL".

I actually still don't know why that happens - I mean, the folder is correctly predefined and all - but that isn't really important anyway.

All that said above in the quotebox is what happens if I run the batch files the first time. I then drag&drop the .log files into the TES4LL mod (and delete the mentioned empty folders in the Overwrite mod). The second time I then run the batch files, everything will be corretly updated within the TES4LL mod, just as it is supposed to be. So no problems regarding that!

Regarding your change ..
TES4LL\Textures\landscapelod\generated --> TES4LL\Textures\LandscapeLOD\Generated

If that happens to help on your system then I would agree that this change should be carried over to the "install instructions" we are setting up here for MO users. Note though, that I personally can't seem to replicate your issue with "TES4LL\Textures\landscapelod\generated" .. with this "original path", no files will be placed in my Overwrite mod on the batch files' second run. MO's warning triangle always stays grey here. But as said, if it helps you to adjust that (--> LandscapeLOD\Generated) aswell, I'm all on your side.

Regarding your instructions:
I find them very well written and on the point. Maybe two or three additions.

Set the correct data folder and let MO install the mod.

Maybe mention at this point, that MO's warning about a to-be-happen false installation can be safely ignored (in this case)? Also, maybe you could add gruftikus' note, that a particular order in which the three batch files need to be run, isn't really necessary.

Last but not least, a reminding note that both "Landscape LOD generator" as well as our "TES4LL" mod need to be activated in the left pane, would be good.

Edited by pStyl3, 13 January 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#37 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Page updated with your suggestions.

#38 pStyl3

pStyl3

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

Looks great. An up-to-date, working procedure to get TES4LL working under MO. ::): Let's see what gruftikus might come up with in the future, but for now that's the way to go.

#39 Matriga

Matriga

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

Landscape LOD generator tes4ll - 5.00

Content of the updated file:

Data\Docs\..

- README-tes4ll-Oblivion.txt

- Triangle_Copyright.txt

Data\Ini\tes4ll\..

- CityPolygons.dat

- FortEmpire_Aleswell.dat

- FortUrasekToAleswell.dat

- FortUrasekToBridge.dat

- RumareCoastLine.dat

- tes4ll_all.mpb

- tes4ll_little_tamriel.mpb

- UL_RollingHills.dat

- WayToCheydinhal.dat

- Weye_FortAsh.dat

- WeyeNorth_FortEmpire.dat

- WeyeWaynet.dat

Data\tes4qlod_tex\Oblivion\..

- too many files to list here..

Data\..

- tes4ll.exe

- tes4ll_DibellasWatch_ultimate.bat

- tes4ll_highres.bat

- tes4ll_midres.bat

- tes4ll_normalmaps.bat

- tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat

- tes4ll_tes4qlod_cache.bat

- tes4ll_ultimate.bat

- tes4qlod_Oblivion_ltex.dat

What I've tested in conjunction with MO:

tes4ll_ultimate.bat

tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat

tes4ll_normalmaps.bat

I tested these three files of TES4LL v5.00 under MO and found, that they are all working - if some additional editing is done.

Installation and Initialization:

First, TES4LL needs to be installed. The normal installation instructions are, that it needs to be installed directly into:

..\Oblivion\Data\..

Because we (the ones looking up this particular thread) use Mod Organizer, we can install TES4LL from within MO; MO's virtual file system will make sure, that TES4LL will see all relevant files. So I added "Landscape LOD generator" as a normal mod in MO - Screenshot - Installation.

Click "OK", then "Ignore". It should work nonetheless (as this is "only" a tool, and not a mod that should work ingame).

Once that is installed, I added the 3 files mentioned above as executables in MO, with these filespaths:

C:\Spiele\Modding\0_Programme\Mod_Organizer_Oblivion\mods\Landscape LOD generator\tes4ll_ultimate.bat

C:\Spiele\Modding\0_Programme\Mod_Organizer_Oblivion\mods\Landscape LOD generator\tes4ll_tes4qlod.bat

C:\Spiele\Modding\0_Programme\Mod_Organizer_Oblivion\mods\Landscape LOD generator\tes4ll_normalmaps.bat

So I used the .bat files from my just installed Landscape LOD generator-"Mod".

So far so good, but that isn't everything that needs to be done. If I would now run these executables from within MO, the files wouldn't appear where I want them to be. For example, if I now would run "tes4ll_ultimate.bat" from within MO, the newly created meshes would be placed - if another mod already has such meshes with the same file names - inside that mod, replacing the mod's original files. In this case, that would happen with the "Unofficial Oblivion Patch". That is basically the problem I reported here aswell.

That, of course, must be prevented.

Step 1:

- Go to your "Oblivion Mod Organizer"-folder and open the "mods" folder.

- Create a new folder named "TES4LL". Open it and create the following (empty) folders:

Meshes

- Landscape

-- LOD

Textures

- LandscapeLOD

-- Generated

So this should be the result (in MO). This first step is necessary (or better said, to me it seems to be), because if this "mod"-folder wouldn't be setup prior to running the batch files, the batch files would throw an error and thus wouldn't create the files they should. That said, if the instructions of "Step 1" are followed, everything is playing nice.

Step 2:

Open your "Landscape LOD generator"-mod in Windows Explorer, and goto:

..\Ini\tes4ll\..

Now open "tes4ll_all.mpb" with an Editor of your choice - I use Notepad++

Now change the path $_gamedir\Data\ in several places* to C:\Spiele\Modding\0_Programme\Mod_Organizer_Oblivion\mods\TES4LL\ .. well, actually do not copy that second path just like that, you must use your own correct path, that points to your "TES4LL"-mod, which you have just created in "Step 1".

* here is my entire modified "tes4ll_all.mpb" file, where you can see what I have changed:

Results and thoughts:

If those two things from above are made, all three .bat files can be successfully run through MO and the files will be placed into the "TES4LL"-mod in MO. The three .log files..

tes4ll.log

tes4ll_normalmaps.log

tes4qlod.log

.. that will be created during this process will showup in MO's "Overwrite" mod .. nothing to complain here, they easily can either be deleted or manually moved to the TES4LL-mod by drag&drop.

Now .. speaking from MO's perspective .. it would be ideal, if these sorts of manual edits wouldn't be necessary, so that TES4LL can be used though MO. I think, that a command line to specify an output folder - like TES4LODGen.exe's -O: argument - could do the job. So that the user can specify, that files should be placed in a custom folder, and not into a static location like $_gamedir\Data\.......

I can't really say if that is feasible - and if my conclusion is correct in the first place - and if yes, how much work that would require .. but that's how I currently see it.

So, I would say .. TES4LL can be workarounded under MO now! ::):

Thanks a lot gruftikus.

Thanks for this, pStyl3. Worked like a charm with no problems in MO 1.3.5 <3 *muah*

#40 gruftikus

gruftikus

Prisoner

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

There is a little bit cry for help here: http://forum.step-pr...tess4ll-and-mo/

as it was suggested above I added two more variables to the mpb file (for the Fallout version!), namely $_tmpdir, an installation directory, and $_datadir, just in case the Data directory should be combined with $_gamedir. Both can be defined in the bat-file which starts the process.

It would be nice if someone could test this, so I can add this also in the next Oblivion version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users