Enhanced Lighting for ENB - Patch Collection

Nearox

Yes it is possible to entirely disable it. However then certain effects wont work.. like night vision. Those effects work by adjusting the built in post processing to get their effect. 

However in most cases it is only the brightness and the tint color that you require... all else is really a matter of taste. If you did take the time to make a really good set of values for all your weathers and interiors they could really help make something that ENB on its own would not be able to. Since it cannot touch object and effect specific things in the game, because an .esp is required to do so. 

The enbeffect.fx file I use in skylight ENB only apply the brightness and tint (Specifically.. the "Apply Game Color Correction" or AGCC part of the code).. the rest are disabled entirely. 

You can also do what Prod80 does in serenity and put clamps on the values so even if a mod use some silly values they will still be used.. but not at the same magnitude. Hence you will get more consistent looks all around. 

No.. you have to know what to look for in the enbeffect.fx file. However most files that are more recent will have fairly good comments on what is what. Some of the older ones are still just a mayhem of various code fragments copy pasted in because.... it worked. And like all good programmers then the people who made them never documented what they wrote or how it worked! :)

Just a quick question: Why do i need a patch of Books of Skyrim with ELE?

Cant check right now but using both along now for recent playtrough and didn't encounter problems, at least no obvious ones.

There are no hard conflicts, but the visuals of the building will not look consistent with the rest of the buildings. If your ENB is dependent on ELE, then Books of Skyrim's colors, shadows and lighting effects will look different, if not bad.

See this comparison shot with Vividian ENB:

Without ELE patch:

Posted Image

With ELE patch:

Posted Image

The last screenshot is how Vividian ENB is supposed to look. In the first screenshot, there is an erroneous greenish color layer over most objects, the shadows are bad and the lighting (from candles) doesn't look right. 

Edited by Nearox

Provincial Courier Service by Arthmoor has been updated 18, September;

"Version 1.2.4

Split the house location into exterior and interior components so NPCs passing through won't ask if the player is lost.Added radiant keywords, ledger, and strongbox to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Thieves Guild fishing jobs and heist jobs.Added radiant object keywords to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Companions animal extermination quests."

Will this affect your existing ELE patch for same?

Will you make Complete REGS version? That will be awesome. 

Yes I will cover all the REGS mod that need it, eventually. But as mentioned earlier I will actually have to do more ingame testing for some mods. ETaC and CRF etc. were pretty easy because they use vanilla-type buildings and because JawZ already made templates for the type of building/dungeon or for specific zones. This is not the case for some of the dungeon mods, or for some buildings from Falskaar and WT so I will have to check ingame whether a certain template looks good and whether that template can be used consistently with good results. 

I imagine things like Falskaar and Wyrmstooth will take a bit of time for patch up, but checking this thread with an eagle eye ::):

Yeah I hope to be done within a few days. Don't have much time to spend on Skyrim at the moment. 

Provincial Courier Service by Arthmoor has been updated 18, September;

"Version 1.2.4

Split the house location into exterior and interior components so NPCs passing through won't ask if the player is lost.Added radiant keywords, ledger, and strongbox to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Thieves Guild fishing jobs and heist jobs.Added radiant object keywords to allow the courier's residence to be chosen for Companions animal extermination quests."

Will this affect your existing ELE patch for same?

I will have to check. As long as the FormID of the interior component has not changed then the patch should still work.

Also if the building has become much smaller then I might have to change the template from JZWhiterun_Int to JZSmallHouse_int. Nevertheless the current one should probably still give good results.

Edited by Nearox
  • +1 1

Nice going with putting all patches in one thread like this. I will be sure to post a link to this thread at my ELE thread.

When it comes to making new content mods to use another lighting mods imagespaces or lighting templates I found it better to alter vanilla IS and LT's to the lighting mod "standard". If the new content mod is using vanilla IS and LT's of course. If it's using their own new created IS and LT's a patch would need to be done that would have the lightiing mod as a master file.

The way I did it for Falskaar was to look at what types of vanilla IS and LT's was used through out all of Falskaar's interiors, then I made a plugin that removed any specific cell menu changes to lighting (checking all the lighting boxes in each Falskaar interior cell menu) and the final step was to alter the vanilla IS and LT's inside the ELE interior Lighting modules, which before this adjustment, was untouched.

Doing it like that allowed new content mods that used vanilla IS and LT's to have "ELE standardized" lighting without the need of a patch, unless there was some per cell men changes done to it. And I will continue to do it like that. So the only thing a patch would need is to make sure that all lighting related check boxes are checked for each cell that "new content" mod introduces to the game. And forward any "restrictions" caused between each mod to the file loaded last, which should be the lighting mod, in 9 out of 10 cases.

If you're wondering what I mean when I say "checking lighting boxes in the cell menu", than this is what I mean

Cell menu - Lighting Template/"LT" -> https://www.creationkit.com/File:LightingTemplateDropdown.jpg

Cell menu - Imagespace/"IS" -> https://www.creationkit.com/File:ImageSpaceDropdown.jpg

For ELE with altered vanilla LT's to take full effect all the check boxes must be checked in the LT section of each interior cell menu.

Edited by JawZ
  • +1 1

Nice going with putting all patches in one thread like this. I will be sure to post a link to this thread at my ELE thread.

When it comes to making new content mods to use another lighting mods imagespaces or lighting templates I found it better to alter vanilla IS and LT's to the lighting mod "standard". If the new content mod is using vanilla IS and LT's of course. If it's using their own new created IS and LT's a patch would need to be done that would have the lightiing mod as a master file.

Thank you JawZ for the informative reply  ::):

The way I did it for Falskaar was to look at what types of vanilla IS and LT's was used through out all of Falskaar's interiors, then I made a plugin that removed any specific cell menu changes to lighting (checking all the lighting boxes in each Falskaar interior cell menu) and the final step was to alter the vanilla IS and LT's inside the ELE interior Lighting modules, which before this adjustment, was untouched.

Doing it like that allowed new content mods that used vanilla IS and LT's to have "ELE standardized" lighting without the need of a patch, unless there was some per cell men changes done to it. And I will continue to do it like that. So the only thing a patch would need is to make sure that all lighting related check boxes are checked for each cell that "new content" mod introduces to the game. And forward any "restrictions" caused between each mod to the file loaded last, which should be the lighting mod, in 9 out of 10 cases.

I was wondering all the time why you had changed those vanilla IS and LTs when they seemingly weren't really used! Now I understand :)

So far, if a mod uses its own IS/LTs, then I just changed it to one of yours and went into the game and simply entered the cell to have a look. I did this for instance for Moon and Star, which uses its own templates for e.g. the houses and the dungeon. But the dungeon's colors looked a bit off with ENB, and since it is a Dwemer styled dungeon, I used your DwemerInt template and voila... Now it looks good! Some brilliant work you did with the lighting there JawZ.

Good to know that Falskaar does not need a patch then, I was getting some weird effects when I tried to apply JZTownInt to Falskaar, only to discover now that Falskaar doesn't need to be patched at all... I guess I should actually play that expansion for once... lol.

If you're wondering what I mean when I say "checking lighting boxes in the cell menu", than this is what I mean

Cell menu - Lighting Template/"LT" -> https://www.creationkit.com/File:LightingTemplateDropdown.jpg

Cell menu - Imagespace/"IS" -> https://www.creationkit.com/File:ImageSpaceDropdown.jpg

For ELE with altered vanilla LT's to take full effect all the check boxes must be checked in the LT section of each interior cell menu.

Yeah at first I didn't do this, but as soon as I recognized this was your modus operandi, I went back and checked all the lighting boxes in the patches. I did it via tes5edit though, but the result is the same. Until now I didn't fully grasp why this had to be done, but now I do!

Perhaps I could improve some of the interiors of these mods even further by selecting another JZ template, but the difference between using your templates and the mod's originals ones with ENB is already huge... Therefore I think I won't further tinker with the current patches for ELE. Besides, it seems to me I have used the correct, or almost correct, IS/LTs for each interior cell.

By the way I saw in the ENB thread that you might consider uploading just ELE - Interior to Nexus. I personally think this is a really good idea, simply because we will most likely result in many more ENB authors incorporating them, thereby generally improving the quality of their presets - assuming they are adjusted accordingly. Should you decide to do so, feel free to also upload these patches as optionals (if you think they are good enough).

Glad I could shed some light into this topic :)

I was wondering all the time why you had changed those vanilla IS and LTs when they seemingly weren't really used! Now I understand :)

So far, if a mod uses its own IS/LTs, then I just changed it to one of yours and went into the game and simply entered the cell to have a look. I did this for instance for Moon and Star, which uses its own templates for e.g. the houses and the dungeon. But the dungeon's colors looked a bit off with ENB, and since it is a Dwemer styled dungeon, I used your DwemerInt template and voila... Now it looks good! Some brilliant work you did with the lighting there JawZ.

Yeah well with the lack of info I had put out there explaining the "inner workings" of the ELE modules, I can understand that it raised a question mark for you. Next update will include a seperate readme file containing both a list of the IS/LT applied to their specific interior cell, as well as listing of altered vanilla IS and LT and for what reason they where altered and used for.

The way I'm thinking of doing it is to alter certain vanilla imagespaces and lighting templates to "ELE standard" and when a patch is needed for a new content mod, the patch just alter the assigned IS and LT to those specific altered vanilla imagespaces in the ELE-Interior Lighting

Say that I have altered the "DefaultImageSpaceDungeon" and "DefaultLightingTemplate" in the ELE-Interior Lighting module, then the patch only needs to assign that IS and LT to any cells in that new content mod, without having the ELE module being a master, less fuzz I think.

But any input on that is of course welcome.

Yeah at first I didn't do this, but as soon as I recognized this was your modus operandi, I went back and checked all the lighting boxes in the patches. I did it via tes5edit though, but the result is the same. Until now I didn't fully grasp why this had to be done, but now I do!

Perhaps I could improve some of the interiors of these mods even further by selecting another JZ template, but the difference between using your templates and the mod's originals ones with ENB is already huge... Therefore I think I won't further tinker with the current patches for ELE. Besides, it seems to me I have used the correct, or almost correct, IS/LTs for each interior cell.

Well it's "easy" to assign proper naming to IS and LT in the default game content + DLC's, but when it comes to end user/modder content it can get a bit trickier if you don't know what their intentions was when doing the interiors. But in general you only need to keep an eye out for what an interior cell represents most, interior or dungeon type cell, or "bright" or "dark" interior cell. By either looking at the content in the module, does it have windows, does it have sun shimmer in from pit holes or cracks in the wall,  if no then assign dungeon type IS and LT to it. If yes assign interior type IS and LT to it. And then just go through the visual effects of each IS and lT. For instance Whiterun IS with Solitude LT looked better than "this and that" IS and LT combination.

By the way I saw in the ENB thread that you might consider uploading just ELE - Interior to Nexus. I personally think this is a really good idea, simply because we will most likely result in many more ENB authors incorporating them, thereby generally improving the quality of their presets - assuming they are adjusted accordingly. Should you decide to do so, feel free to also upload these patches as optionals (if you think they are good enough).

I will upload the next version of the Interior Lighting modules to Nexus, and only those as they are the most complete ones out of all modules. As well as being the most used ones as well.

So next update will make the interior lighting modules to go from alpha to full versions and become a ENBDev + Nexus exclusive mod.

A list of possible things in the next version;

• Real full coverage for all Skyrim + DLC interiors, including Falskaar and Wyrmstooth
  • Detailed info on the inner workings for end users/modders
  • Info on how to use ENB and add Dungeon seperation to a ENB preset
  • Adjustments to all IS and LT for better looking lighting, which doesn't "clip" the color range as it does in the current version of ELE
  • Merged plugins, Skyrim only, Legendary, Skyrim + Dawnguard + Dragonborn.
  • Renaming of the .esp files to allow hot load functionality, it might be unnecessary if the console command works with " ", like this -> hlp "ELE - Interior Lighting"
  • Renaming of ELE IS and LT for a more intuitive understanding of what it covers and to allow easier access to them
  • And update your current patches to the new modules

Probably something more that I have forgotten now or implement "on the go".

Oh and by they way, digging the REGS pack :) good mods for making the game feel new.

Edited by JawZ
  • +1 1

JawZ since your here, figure I'll ask. I noted in a lot of your modules you disabled Sky even when there are Skylights, etc but I don't see an advantage in doing so visually or in performance. Also, the USKP team has added weathers and other settings to various interiors.

Was just curious why you elected to do that and if the USKP changes will be reflected in the new version (as needed ofc).

Excellent job on the lighting, it really adds a lot to the game.