FNVEdit and Wryle Flash bypass MO's overwrite folder?

vidalia

Question

Just starting with the F&LNV guide, I installed LOOT 0.6 & Wrye Flash, FNV Edit and set it up with MO, as instructed. The LOOT sorting works in the sense that its sorted load order for FalloutNV.esm and all the DLCs are reflected in MO and Wrye Flash.

Now after installing all the mods in NV Uncut series and merging them in FNVEdit (launched via MO) I found that the resulting plugin is created in the default FNV data folder (SteamAppscommonFallout New VegasData) and not in MO's overwrite folder.

I anyways forged ahead by moving the esp back into the overwrite folder and then creating a  mod in MO from it.

Creating a bashed patch in Wrye Flash with new bash tags added to the above plugin however again creates the Bashed Patch, 0.esp (overwriting the template Bashed Patch,0.esp) in the default FNV data folder rather than MO's overwrite folder. Intrestingly the docs folder for the bashed patch is created in MO's overwrite folder. 

I am sure I'm mising a configuration step somewhere but can't seem to figure it out. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

P:S Using M.O ver 1.2.11, FNVEdit ver 3.0.32, Wrye Flash ver 16.0. And yes FNVEdit and Wrye Flash are installed in the SteamAppscommonFallout New Vegas and SteamAppscommonFallout New VegasMopy folders respectively.

7 answers to this question

Steam was already running in offline mode in the background before I launched these programs.

Following your suggestion, I quit Steam and tried to run FNVEdit from MO. MO prompted me to launch Steam and then ran FNVEdit - same result as before - the merged plugin got created in the default FNV data folder, however the FNVEdit Backups folder got created in MO's overwrite folder.

Same scenario with WryeFlash - ran WryeFlash from MO - MO prompted me to run Steam and then on creating a bashed patch the esp got created in the default FNV data folder, but the docs folder containing Bashed patch, 0.html file got created in MO's overwrite folder.

P:S I do have another instance of MO ver 1.2.11 running with Skyrim and TES5Edit and WryeBash behave as expected on that install - all the runtime artifacts from these programs get written to the MO overwrite folder.
Edited by vidalia

Ok I seem to have found a workaround for both programs

1.For FNVEdit - Moving the installation of FNVEdit to a subfolder under SteamAppscommonFallout New Vegas or a folder entirely outside SteamAppscommonFallout New Vegas seems to fix the issue - any plugins merged or otherwise created by FNVEdit now are properly saved in MO's overwrite folder instead of SteamAppscommonFallout New VegasData.

2. For Wrye Flash - I copied the generated based patch from the default FNV data folder to MO's overwrite folder - then from within MO I created a mod for the bashed patch, 0.esp and the docs folder - now on generating a new based patch via Wrye Flash, MO directly updates the mod with the new Bashed Patch,0.esp instead of me having to manually sync the mod with the overwrite (as I need to do in Skyrim). 

Hopefully this helps someone having similar issues.

Okay, so for FNVEdit, you should simply extract the folder into the Fallout New Vegas directory, so that you have SteamAppscommonFallout New VegasFNVEdit_3_0_32_EXPERIMENTAL-34703-3-0-32EXPFNVEdit.exe

I'm going to guess that for Wrye Flash, you ran it once outside of Mod Organizer, which caused a Bashed Patch to go into the real data. Every subsequent time it would write into the file, so it would never go to Overwrite.

Just as a note:

When I install Wrye Flash for New Vegas, I run it once. Then, right-click and uncheck "Lock Times" and check "BOSS Disable Lock Times". Otherwise, everytime you run Wrye Flash it will mess up your load order. With these settings it will maintain the load order set by MO.

Also, make sure that when you installed Wrye Flash that the MOPY folder was placed INSIDE the FNV directory and NOT inside the data folder.

Okay, so for FNVEdit, you should simply extract the folder into the Fallout New Vegas directory, so that you have SteamAppscommonFallout New VegasFNVEdit_3_0_32_EXPERIMENTAL-34703-3-0-32EXPFNVEdit.exe

I'm going to guess that for Wrye Flash, you ran it once outside of Mod Organizer, which caused a Bashed Patch to go into the real data. Every subsequent time it would write into the file, so it would never go to Overwrite.

Yes to both - I did run Wrye Flash outside of MO to check if my python install was working.