Mod Organizer FOSE installing with FO3 GOTY

sutex

Question

I can see no instruction to install FOSE , with Fallout 3 when using MO.

Do I just drop FOSE into the GOTY folder, given the scripts ?

There was a suggestion by Youtube video , about MO not do to this, but it focus is Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKhdiJYBqo

Very new to MO , Have run mods and managers before , but using MO for first time .

Have a CLEAN  installl of the game  DATA folder backup, have saves so using those mods , for my new MO install

WHAT I HAVE

Steam Fallout 3 GOTY .... Patched with Updated FALLOUT patch latest

FOMM fork .... Installed to default , MO points to it  exe, works

FO3Edit_3_0_31_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-31 ... Installed into own Folder (FO3edit) inside of Fallout3 GOTY

A side note, with FO3edit , still a bit confused do I check or uncheck backups.  When I first ran FO3edit, I closed it after opening. A box popped up saying there was a problem in Overwrite. I removed the FO3editbackup it was refering too. Correct ? as all I have at the moment is the DEFLAUT esm plus the Updated Patch Overwrite is emtpy in MO , I have no mods installed, as yet.

Edited by sutex

The file 'hook.dll'. Can you verify it exists in the:

C:GamesMod Organizer folder and not in:

C:SteamLibrarySteamAppscommonFallout 3 gotyDataFOSEPlugins folder?

If that is the hook.dll that ships with MO, then it shouldn't be in the plugins folder, it needs to be in the MO folder. Looking again shows it being checked in the plugins folder, unless it is an unrelated plugin from some mod I am unaware of.

Relocate it and see if that helps. The game will stumble from MO if that dll isn't where it should be and starting it from outside MO means the fose.dll will just skip it if it isn't an actual plugin, thus the game will start.

At least that is what my latest theory is!

I'm having this exact same problem, FOSE refuses to run from within MO but, runs fine from the instalation directory. I randomly tried unchecking the "let MO manage archives" under the archives tab the tried again and the game launched. Althought during the intro screen I didn't have the mouse cursor and was unable to click anything and shortly after it crashed. It's a step in the right direction though, could it be a BSA related problem?

Edited by musclegeek

The file 'hook.dll'. Can you verify it exists in the:

C:GamesMod Organizer folder and not in:

C:SteamLibrarySteamAppscommonFallout 3 gotyDataFOSEPlugins folder?

If that is the hook.dll that ships with MO, then it shouldn't be in the plugins folder, it needs to be in the MO folder. Looking again shows it being checked in the plugins folder, unless it is an unrelated plugin from some mod I am unaware of.

Relocate it and see if that helps. The game will stumble from MO if that dll isn't where it should be and starting it from outside MO means the fose.dll will just skip it if it isn't an actual plugin, thus the game will start.

At least that is what my latest theory is!

C:GamesMod Organizer  'hook.dll'  is there size 64.0 MB (67,170,222 bytes)

C:SteamLibrarySteamAppscommonFallout 3 gotyDataFOSEPlugins  is empty

Just a quick update on mine. Somehow it seems to be mod related, when I disable all mods and run FOSE through MO it works but when I start adding mods it fails. Which is weied as I could run FOSE with the same mods theough Wrye Bash/Flash with no problem, so why it's playing up when using MO is beyond me.

Just a quick update on mine. Somehow it seems to be mod related, when I disable all mods and run FOSE through MO it works but when I start adding mods it fails. Which is weied as I could run FOSE with the same mods theough Wrye Bash/Flash with no problem, so why it's playing up when using MO is beyond me.

By all do you mean Fallout with DLC , which is mine no mods install yet,  but this did not work ,

Edited by sutex

By all do you mean Fallout with DLC , which is mine no mods install yet,  but this did not work ,

With DLC yes. There dose actually seem to be a problem with MO and the handling of BSA archives for FO3, a few mods have caused this to happen but when I allow the BSAs to be extracted things seem to work. Under the archive tab, untick the box that allows MO to handle the BSAs then try again and see what happens.

One other thing comes to mind, did you clean any ESPs or ESMs and have them as a MO mod? The cleaning process may have corrupted the file, not speaking from experience here.

I cleaned a few of mine, yes. Didn't think of that actually. Thing is, if that was the cause, wouldn't it then be the esp that is causing the game not to load instead of the BSA?

hook.dll is the file that is shipped with MO and it is the heart of the whole vfs operation.

This image shows the version details and size that it needs to be:

post-5242-0-59179400-1413076926_thumb.png

@sutex

Something has gone awry with your installation. Either do a purge of MO, backing up the necessary folders like "downloads, mods & profiles" or if you like just reinstall over the installed version with the latest copy.

Perhaps also do a system wide security check for malware or viruses or even just for other 'hook.dll' files on your system.

Something is terribly wrong if your hook.dll is 64 Mb in size.

These steps are in no way impugning wrong-doing on the part of MO. It has been checked by numerous sources as clean.

Edited by GrantSP

UPDATE  just download the new MO and tried to get MO to launch fose or fallout 3 .exe ,nothing , still wont launch the game , Clean install no mods.

But if I click FOSE or Fallout 3 .exe in Fallout 3 GOTY folder the game will launch, I still have the same problem , just cant get MO to launch Fallout 3

Edited by sutex

Wow, long-time between drinks!

Can you recap for us, are you running MO with the same privileges as the Fallout executable? To put it another way, is Fallout being run with 'Admin' privileges and MO is just with your user account?

lol I thought I'll wait for awhile , to see if others had come up with a solution , but I've been missing my wasteland , after been in space ( Elite dangerous)

Yes , all  have Admin' privileges, checked thats FOSE Fallout.exe , the launcher  MO anything that has .exe

This is how MO looks now

https://i.imgur.com/hRclzoW.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ni0T6Bl.png

Edited by sutex

So why do you have the DLC plugins active, yet you haven't activated their BSAs in the 'Archive' tab?

If you don't want MO to handle the BSAs then uncheck that and allow the game engine to load them based on the plugins. If you do want MO to handle BSAs, then you need to check each one so it loads.

Going back through this thread it seems that this is what you were trying to say, but failing, when you said you could start Fallout but it fails to allow 'Play' in the menu.

This is how it started , Ive touched nothing , and I did follow the guide , before ,so to start uncheck everything ?

Going back through this thread it seems that this is what you were trying to say, but failing, when you said you could start Fallout but it fails to allow 'Play' in the menu.

No the thread is about no matter what I did MO would not start Fallout 3 , using MO.

All unchecked ,just the Fallout esm checked , wont start

All esm & BSAs checked , wont start

Edited by sutex

Could you post the CRC-32 value for the Fallout3.exe you are using; this would be the file that has been modified by using the LAA progam. In another ongoing thread we found that GrantSP and I have the same value for this but the user having problems had a different CRC for his executable. We are still trying to determine how that happened for the other user.