Mod Organizer FOSE installing with FO3 GOTY

sutex

Question

I can see no instruction to install FOSE , with Fallout 3 when using MO.

Do I just drop FOSE into the GOTY folder, given the scripts ?

There was a suggestion by Youtube video , about MO not do to this, but it focus is Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKhdiJYBqo

Very new to MO , Have run mods and managers before , but using MO for first time .

Have a CLEAN  installl of the game  DATA folder backup, have saves so using those mods , for my new MO install

WHAT I HAVE

Steam Fallout 3 GOTY .... Patched with Updated FALLOUT patch latest

FOMM fork .... Installed to default , MO points to it  exe, works

FO3Edit_3_0_31_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-31 ... Installed into own Folder (FO3edit) inside of Fallout3 GOTY

A side note, with FO3edit , still a bit confused do I check or uncheck backups.  When I first ran FO3edit, I closed it after opening. A box popped up saying there was a problem in Overwrite. I removed the FO3editbackup it was refering too. Correct ? as all I have at the moment is the DEFLAUT esm plus the Updated Patch Overwrite is emtpy in MO , I have no mods installed, as yet.

Edited by sutex

Could you post the CRC-32 value for the Fallout3.exe you are using; this would be the file that has been modified by using the LAA progam. In another ongoing thread we found that GrantSP and I have the same value for this but the user having problems had a different CRC for his executable. We are still trying to determine how that happened for the other user.

This is the Size:  of Fallout 3, & this is what was used to modified the file https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/21141 + the update on the download page

Size:    15,044,024

CRC-32:    CF353836

MD-5:    bd5a2117dceb87831abdb7043e27ea62

Well we are making progress, of a sorts. I can now reliably replicate this error and I have no idea why it happens.

I created a completely fresh profile with only the vanilla game files loaded and no matter which method I choose: launcher, game or FOSE it crashes just as "please stand by..." screen shows.

As soon as I choose my 'Clear and Present Danger' profile the game starts and runs perfectly.

" crashes just as "please stand by..." screen shows."  lucky you  don't even get that, just the command box of FOSE shows then disappears , If using MO to launch Fallout3.exe , nothing at all happens

Also side point,  trying to launch the game via steam link , the launcher appears , but clicking play nothing happens , like using MO to launch Fallout.exe

Yet everything works if I click on FOSE or Fallout3.exe directly inside the folder

I've generated some before and after logs and will re-open the issue in the tracker and paste them there.

"Well we are making progress, of a sorts."   Wonder if its the tracker issue I opened a year ago, anyhow thanks for looking into it,  can you post if there's a solution , I'll be emailed, cheers

I have been following this for a while and researching for another thread. I have found that there are a few command line arguments that can be applied at launch. Admittently I don't understand what they mean, but if you run a command prompt in the FO3 directory where fose_loader.exe and run this "fose_loader.exe -h" it will print a short list of commands that are available. I did not find any information on these switches other than the one about fpslimit.

In playing with these, I added this argument to the fose_loader.exe argument in MO, -altexe "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe", and it at least did not crash my game.

From the way I understand it fose only modifies the game in memory so maybe this will help. Just change the path to reflect your system. I figure it is worth a try.

I have been following this for a while and researching for another thread. I have found that there are a few command line arguments that can be applied at launch. Admittently I don't understand what they mean, but if you run a command prompt in the FO3 directory where fose_loader.exe and run this "fose_loader.exe -h" it will print a short list of commands that are available. I did not find any information on these switches other than the one about fpslimit.

In playing with these, I added this argument to the fose_loader.exe argument in MO, -altexe "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\Fallout3.exe", and it at least did not crash my game.

From the way I understand it fose only modifies the game in memory so maybe this will help. Just change the path to reflect your system. I figure it is worth a try.

Hi

No luck , FOSE opens , then closes , sometimes it appears in process and if it does , not for long. , thanks for the  idea.. I always though it was a hooking issue, not that I know what it means

My observations are;

MO cant launch Fallout.exe or fose so whatever Mo uses to "call" to get things stared , clearly isn't been picked up by Fallout 3.exe via fose As both fose & Fallout3.exe can be launched from the Fallout folder

Edited by sutex

It was a longshot. Have you tried to disable your anti-virus, malware, graphic card control programs and any non essential-programs from the Windows notification area? Don't dismiss this as not counting, some programs that are running in the background will interfere with other programs.

I went back through this thread twice and I am out of ideas at this point.

It was a longshot. Have you tried to disable your anti-virus, malware, graphic card control programs and any non essential-programs from the Windows notification area? Don't dismiss this as not counting, some programs that are running in the background will interfere with other programs.

I went back through this thread twice and I am out of ideas at this point.

Yes tried this and I'm not re-installing windows  just in case that's the next suggestion lol, If MO cant work out of the box ,  I wont be changing my OS to suit it, All other software works on my PC.

@GSDFan can you get a crash with using only a minimal profile? ie. only the vanilla assets.

Yes , that is what's happening now.

@GSDFan can you get a crash with using only a minimal profile? ie. only the vanilla assets.

No, I can't get it to crash at all.

Yes tried this and I'm not re-installing windows  just in case that's the next suggestion lol, If MO cant work out of the box ,  I wont be changing my OS to suit it, All other software works on my PC.

I would never suggest this. It is up to the user to determine if that is necessary. I only mentioned background programs as I had a game that would start out at 60fps and about two minutes into the game it would drop to 5 fps. It took quite a long time to figure out that it was a background program.

This post is old , and all has been said many times , I only just came back to see if there was a solution after nearly a year, So done everything anyone has suggested  , just to cover bases

that includes all suggestions above. Mo will not start Fallout 3 or Fose, no matter what I do, be it vanilla or with one mod or just Fallout3 and no dlc , nothing works.

So thanks , but back to Elite dangerous on my expensive well looked after, PC gaming beast ,until the "re-opened" issue in the tracker comes up with a fix.

Thats fine and good luck. How is Elite dangerous, I have been following it on Steam and been mulling over weather to buy it.

I actually have been running TTW for my FO3 fix, but I am behind the current release. I have FO3 installed for TTW and troubleshooting purposes.

Elite dangerous is cool but it not the wastelands and after the blackness of space , you'll miss it

Just a side point , I have my saves still for FO3 , but the reasons I wanted to get MO going was the load out order, for my mods and my save, was causing problems around river city this is why I ended up here a year ago.... I'll re-think it all ,  if there's not a fix soonish, I may have too go back to the old fashion way of loading mods up.

Edited by sutex