Horizon Color

TechAngel85

Question

Okay, have a quick question for you ENB authors. I'm playing around with enbseries.ini.  Here's the two shots:

Vanilla  >>  ENB >> Edited Fog

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I need to know what controls the horizon coloring. It looks like it's just completely desaturated.

EDIT:

Apparently that darker area is the fog and not the horizon. The horizon sets just above it. Adjusting the fog to 1.0 fixes most of the issue however, there is still some areas that don't match up. Strange use of fog for blending... I was going to try to fix the skies for this test preset I'm doing but it's becoming a pain in butt. *how to get rid of the blending issue :psyduck: *

14 answers to this question

Yes Vividian covers the bug with Mist, wich is anyway strongly used in there. Just make sure you have atleast a density of 1.5 and then lower the exponential fade till it is covered. after that just alter the mist lighting influences so it fits to the gradients around it. Mist also will be heavy influenced by the gradient settings in the Sky section.

Search for horizon and we have a thread where it is all explained in great detail why it is like that and how to somewhat fix it and what the new issues this "fix" does. 

The general gist of it is that you will never get perfect blending... since the game engine have the sky as a dome and not a sphere, and the gameworld is square. Put a square inside a dome and you will never have a full coverage. 

Anyways... that thread somewhere in the depths of the forums! All the good stuff is there. 

Search for horizon and we have a thread where it is all explained in great detail why it is like that and how to somewhat fix it and what the new issues this "fix" does.  The general gist of it is that you will never get perfect blending... since the game engine have the sky as a dome and not a sphere, and the gameworld is square. Put a square inside a dome and you will never have a full coverage.  Anyways... that thread somewhere in the depths of the forums! All the good stuff is there.

Forums here or on ENB Dev? I've searched on ENB Dev without much luck.

EDIT:

Found this but it basically only tells me what I ready knew: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5122-skyrims-horizon-mesh-and-enbs-and-the-challenge-of-fixing-it/?hl=%2Bhorizon&do=findComment&comment=88940 and there is an updated mesh file here: https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1930&p=52290&hilit=horizon+color#p52290

I think Vividian solves the majority of this issue with distance fog/mist somehow. I've at least never noticed this issue while using Vividian. I'll have to look into that more I guess. For now, I'll just not include any of the sky fixes besides the sun.

Yes Vividian covers the bug with Mist, wich is anyway strongly used in there. Just make sure you have atleast a density of 1.5 and then lower the exponential fade till it is covered. after that just alter the mist lighting influences so it fits to the gradients around it. Mist also will be heavy influenced by the gradient settings in the Sky section.

Thanks! Good to know!

Is it mist or volumetric fog? Your mist settings in Vanilla 5.6 are basically the ENB defaults.

The Mist did the trick. I edited the Density and ColorFilter to make it a close match to the visible issue. Then I also altered the FogColorMultiplier and FogColorCurve in [ENVIRONMENT] which helped to almost to completely hide it. Didn't even touch ExponentialFade, but I made play with it.

Vanilla  >>  ENB

Posted ImagePosted Image

The Mist did the trick. I edited the Density and ColorFilter to make it a close match to the visible issue. Then I also altered the FogColorMultiplier and FogColorCurve in [ENVIRONMENT] which helped to almost to completely hide it. Didn't even touch ExponentialFade, but I made play with it.

Vanilla  >>  ENB

Posted ImagePosted Image

What a difference in taste I think the "fix" makes things too washed out. Except for the sky of course the blue and the clouds are much better in the ENB shot.

What a difference in taste I think the "fix" makes things too washed out. Except for the sky of course the blue and the clouds are much better in the ENB shot.

Possibly, but have you ever stood on a beach and looked out across the horizon? You're not going to get that dark color that you get in vanilla. Anything above the water level, you're going to get something much closer to the sky color but washed out a bit. (Been there, done that). Here's some of the pics:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I think some people are just too used to what Bethesda has done to know what it should look like (fantasy world arguments aside). I still kept some of the vanilla "feel" in the horizon out of necessity to hide the issues. That colors chosen were for both this and to blend into the sky more, since technically that is what you should see...a balance between the two was my aim. Not some permanent grey/blue fog in the distance that matched neither.

Besides, this is going to be a bit dependant on lighting and those shots where from weather 81a. I forced to it see as clearly as possible.

I would suggest that you make a habit of comparing both say weather 81a and c821e when working with trying to fix the horizon. And also compare 81a against other clear weather types as 81a has one of the brightest skies.

I made a _weatherlist.ini and divided the weathers based on their overall sky intensity. It can be downloaded from here - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40732/?

When using an ENB preset with DisableWrongSkyMath activated, the fog, Rain and Snow weathers horizon gets extremely dark because ENB removes the Sky Scale (located in imagespaces) setting which acts as an intensity control for the weathers Cloud Layer, Horizon, Lower and Upper Sky RGB values.

However the Sky Scale still works on the Cloud Layers RGB values even if ENB is active.

Edited by JawZ

I would suggest that you make a habit of comparing both say weather 81a and c821e when working with trying to fix the horizon. And also compare 81a against other clear weather types as 81a has one of the brightest skies.

I made a _weatherlist.ini and divided the weathers based on their overall sky intensity. It can be downloaded from here - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40732/?

When using an ENB preset with DisableWrongSkyMath activated, the fog, Rain and Snow weathers horizon gets extremely dark because ENB removes the Sky Scale (located in imagespaces) setting which acts as an intensity control for the weathers Cloud Layer, Horizon, Lower and Upper Sky RGB values.

However the Sky Scale still works on the Cloud Layers RGB values even if ENB is active.

Thanks! I'll try that out the next time am able to work on this. My vacation ended so, I'm back to the real world...