53 replies to this topic

#46 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

I'd like to help with that if I may. This UIO oddity is something we need to get a handle on and the more systems we try it with I think we may cover as many options as possible.

Just to clue you in again, that grenade icon issue I fixed with the copy of the Darn menu has, for reasons unknown to me, returned. No changes to mods or load order just another session with a save that had the fix in it.

Checking the files reveals the files I expect to be there, are and it all should just... work.

#47 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

sure, go ahead. I'm still working on understanding exactly what UIO does in Fallout NV

#48 vugavavy

vugavavy

Prisoner

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hey guys, I know you are probably busy with other things, but any updates?

#49 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

Updates with what?

#50 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

Only update I might offer is I've PM @jazzisparis on both his Nexus and Bethsoft accounts to ask for the source code to his UIO NVSE plugin.

I figure it would be very helpful to see exactly how that plugin does what it does. Haven't received any word back yet, but I'm hopeful.

I may not be able write new code but I think I can decypher existing code well enough to understand the basics.

#51 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

For MO users aHUD in FO3 is a little more complicated than it needs to be, and I added some changes in the guide to simplify how it is installed and used. The xml files in aHUD in OneHUD in FNV are very similar, and when I've finished determining the right changes (which will be very similar to the FO3 changes) I'll recommend some instruction revisions.

#52 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

I just noticed something odd about UIO that I seem to recall was mentioned before, but I can't put my finger on it.

It was mentioned that after running UIO there would often be a fallout.ini.uio file found in the overwrite but I never ever saw one. Well after doing a bit of fiddling with a TTW profile I have created, I noticed that my My Games\FalloutNV\ folder had that file in it! hmm, what is going on?

So I did some more testing with both the Fallout 3 versions and the Fallout New Vegas versions of UIO and it seems that file gets created only once for each profile but it never gets overwritten or re-created if removed.

Anytime I create a new profile in MO and use UIO in it that file is found, but not in my overwrite. As soon as I remove it the functionality is identical but it is never again used.

#53 Migck

Migck

Prisoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hi there,

I was suggested over at Nexus by MistakenMystic to discuss an issue od sorts I have with UIO here (source: https://forums.nexus...er/?p=43730270)

Basically the problem I have is that UIO will modify the xml files in the mods folders directly, and sometimes when swapping to another profile this results in those files retaining data fields that make them unuseable in that setup. I was under the impression that UIO changes were never directly done to files and if anything any needed files were put in the override folder, but that doesn't seem the case. The modification date of the files changes accordingly, and one can see the new code being added to them.

Thing is after some thought, I don't really think it's an issue but rather just how UIO has to work. If I weren't using MO, it would be altering files in my Data folder just the same. The problem must be in its inability to sanitize previous changes if for example, I activate a mod with menu files that override those of another mod with lower priority, and which UIO had modified before. UIO would then apply its changes to the new mod, so if I later deactivate it and the menu files from the lower priority mod are the ones that come into effect, it will have xml fields that UIO doesn't have info about what to do with. Or something like that, it's really confusing to me since I have no idea how xml actually works.

I did a tentative try of packaging the xml files from Darn's UI in a BSA, but right as you said it seems they can't be loaded. It seems I'll have to be extra careful with what menu addons I use in which profiles to avoid having to reinstall their menu files every now and then.

#54 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

At least in Fallout 3, where I have looked in detail at what UIO does, UIO modifies the menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml from the last loading mod that includes this menu file. If there was an optional version for use with only with MO it could have put this modified file in the UIO mod vs. another mod folder, but since UIO has to work with all mod managers it needs to change this file, as you mention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users