ENBSeries INI Guide

TechAngel85

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't see this in the current set up instructions for ENBoost - Windows 10 users need to install DirectX9 June 2010 runtimes, or they will CTD as the Bethesda logo with ENB installed.  Seems like that should be in bold letters on the wiki page since Microsoft is making their final big push to get everyone moved over before the upgrade stops being free at the end of this month.

It's on the "Guide:ENB" page, but not on the "Detailed Instructions' linked from the guide.

Edited by c0c0c0

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the question of whether Skyrim Project Optimization becomes redundant when using this application. My question has mainly to do with the occlusion culling that both seem to do. Are these aspects mutually exclusive or does one need to be disabled in favor of the other?

I don't have a definitive answer either. I know that SPO uses planes to let the engine hide stuff but I don't know how boris implements his version though.

I usually see people use both at the same time.

With some city mods its obvious that boris' implementation does increase the fps along side SPO which is probably due to the mods not properly utilizing the occ. planes.

However, with the base game I cannot see any note worthy impact either way due to my specs but I do use both.

SPO is not compatible with some city overhauls. SPO manually places the panes in the game so sine changes the overhauls make would likely not be compatible.

ENBSeries does this dynamically with calculations (is this object behind this object? If so, hide hidden object.) At least that is my understanding of it.

These two mods (ENBSeries and SPO) can be used together from what I know.

SPO is not compatible with some city overhauls. SPO manually places the panes in the game so sine changes the overhauls make would likely not be compatible.

This is another time where the term "compatible" can be misinterpreted.

In general is it fine to use with everything unless, there is a particular mod that changes the layout of a city in way where some visible objects would toggled, when they are clearly in view.

This will never cause any issues other then some visual oddities. I think the collisions remain but I cannot remember.

I havent come across a mod that changes the cities so much that this is very apparent but then again I wasnt look for this issue, I was observing performance and the overall feel.

I appreciate @hishutup and @TechAngel85 for taking the time to answer. One thing I didn't include in my original post is that although I've since completed a new build (almost the same as: hishutup), I did have these mods installed on my other PC. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the performance in some areas was so, well... "not good". I'm sure a lot of it had to do with my system at the time, but still. On my old system, I removed ENBoost because it didn't seem to be helping. I was still getting lots of stuttering, et al... and yes, I tried many different tweaks. However, once I removed ENBoost, things got a lot better and a lot more stable. *shrugs* Don't ask me why, but that's what happened.

Now that I have a significantly better build, I don't want to go through the hassle of installing both mods, only to find that I'm facing the same issues. My instinct is telling me that it might be better to give the preference to ENBoost because of the amount of RAM I have and if I understand correctly, this is the main thing that ENBoost addresses. (Please, do feel free to correct me.) Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Tremere

ENBoost allows you to bypass the 3.1GB memory limit of the Skyrim engine. Settings need to be properly adjusted, though. See here: https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost#Recommendations

Thanks, but with all due respect... "Been there. Done that." I've used ENBoost before, so I'm familiar with what it's intended to do and have tried different adjustments. My question was more about the compatibility between ENBoost and Skyrim Project Optimization.

My apologies, from your previous post when you mentioned, "...if I understand correctly, [RAM usage] is the main thing ENBoost addresses (please do feel free to correct me)" it sounded like you were trying to find out exactly what ENBoost did.

You can use both ENBoost and Skyrim Project Optimization at the same time without issue unless you have a specific case as mentioned above (city overhauls and such). I don't believe either is totally redundant when both are used. Both are recommended to be installed in the STEP guide and in the SR:LE guide. I'm definitely no expert on SPO or ENB, though.

Edit: More info.

My apologies, from your previous post when you mentioned, "...if I understand correctly, [RAM usage] is the main thing ENBoost addresses (please do feel free to correct me)" it sounded like you were trying to find out exactly what ENBoost did.

You can use both ENBoost and Skyrim Project Optimization at the same time without issue unless you have a specific case as mentioned above (city overhauls and such). I don't believe either is totally redundant when both are used. Both are recommended to be installed in the STEP guide and in the SR:LE guide. I'm definitely no expert on SPO or ENB, though.

Edit: More info.

:0) Again... Thanks. With all the tweaking and modding, it's sometimes hard to get a grasp on what really works, and then it's usually specific to this build and that modlist or the other. I mean... I get it, but it's sometimes a little confusing. I guess there's no getting around the old "trial and error".

Edited by Tremere