Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM (by Brumbek)

z929669

And one more update

Version 1.31

SMIM'd the Nordic Catacomb (norcathallbg) series that used low polygon skeletal remains. Now uses the highly-detailed skeleton creature mesh and texture.

Minor UV fixes for Nordic Catacomb (norcathallbg) series on the rock parts.

Updated adventure load screen art that used a lantern (loadscreenadventure01.nif). Now uses SMIM lantern for lantern install option.

Updated barkeep load screen art that used a tankard (loadscreenargonianbarkeep.nif). Now uses SMIM tankard.

Updated my tankard textures to fix teal mipmap issue.

Updated the Dawnguard Bloody Tankard to use my SMIM'd tankard mesh and new bloody texture.

Minor fix to Riverwood Lumbermill mesh to fix wrong number of BSLOD polygons (my issue). May make no difference in-game but fixed anyway.

• 1 month later...

In Step 2.2.1, the recommendation is "default". There are many options in the most recent version, i dont see what "default" covers.

Can anyone give me a more detailed guide as to which options to use? Some are overwritten later in STEP, while some aren`t.

In Step 2.2.1, the recommendation is "default". There are many options in the most recent version, i dont see what "default" covers.

Can anyone give me a more detailed guide as to which options to use? Some are overwritten later in STEP, while some aren`t.

"Default" refers to the default option selection when using the WB Wizard or FOMOD Installer.  If you're installing the mod manually (STEP highly recommends using either Wrye Bash or Mod Organizer), the corresponding folders are:

• 00 Core
  • 01 Furniture
  • 02 SMIM Barrel Textures Animation
  • 03 Food
  • 04 Farmhouse 3D Ropes No Fade (Best)
  • 05 Misc 3D Rings
  • 06 Signs 3D Rings
  • 07 Whiterun 3D Rings
  • 08 Pull Lever 3D Rings
  • 09 Dwemer Clutter
  • 10 Nordic Tables and Benches
  • 11 Bridges
  • 12 Whiterun Doors
  • 13 Lanterns
  • 14 Stockade 3D Ropes
  • 15 Clothing Fixes
  • 16 Tankard Dark (Closer to Vanilla)
  • 17 Nordic Catacombs Skeletal Remains
  • 18 Farmhouse Woven Fence Dense
  • 26 Human Skull Fixes
  • 30 Rocks - Generic
  • 31 Rocks - Blackbeach

Thanks Farlo, much appreciated. Perhaps add this to https://wiki.step-project.com/Static_Mesh_Improvement_Mod in case someone else needs this info?

I do use WB, i just like to repack and name my own 7z archives so i havent used a wizard before.

Hmmm, sort of have to use the wizard or any available installer if it comes with the mod. If we detail the instructions for this "default", then we would have a precedent for doing the same for all others. Sounds painful to me.

The wizards (and fomod) script is simple to read, and it contains all of the info necessary to determine the standard installation options (but I would rather use the installer, since it is so simple :P )

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like the newest version of SMIM (v1.43) renders Lockpick Inventory Remodel redundant as it makes the same change.

EDIT: It's already been mentioned on the Lockpick Inventory Remodel page. I really should have checked both pages before I posted, what a rookie mistake.

• 1 month later...

Skyrim mod noobie here with a noob question. I am installing the STEP Core Mods, and this is one of them. In the STEP wiki for SMIM, there is a line that confuses me...

"StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp is no longer necessary due to 100% OVERLAP with USP."

Does this mean when I install the mod with Mod Manager, I don't check the box to activate the .esp? And if that's the case, how will the mod run at all?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you use Mod Organizer, after installing but not checking the box to enable it yet, just rightclick on SMIM and choose Information. Go to optional ESPs. Move the StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp up Optional esps from Available esps and then hit Done. Now once you enable the mod it won't include that file, but all other files.