ENBSeries (by Boris Vorontsov)

frihyland

Unfortunately, Skyrim Performance Monitor does not work for me.  I've downloaded it properly.  I have the desktop icon, but nothing in-game.  On the desktop, these are my settings:

Skyrim INI File Path:

D:\Documents and Settings\Steve\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini

Skyrim Main Program File Path:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Skyrim\TESV.exe

Skyrim Launcher File Path:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

Export Viewer File Path:

C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe

The in-game counters are not displayed, I see absolutely nothing.  The in-game hotkeys are ENABLED, but they do nothing.  On the desktop, my total data samples = 0.

My system is still crashing at irregular intervals, fairly often.

To use Skyrim Performance Monitor with Mod Organizer and ENBoost, run Skyrim Performance Monitor, click Setup, and change the settings as follows.

In the File Paths tab, change the Skyrim Launcher File Path to point to ModOrganizer.exe

In the Miscellaneous Settings tab, check "Attempt Support for Custom D3D9.dll"

Click Save to save the settings

Click Launch Skyrim to run Mod Organizer. When Mod Organizer loads, run SKSE from Mod Organizer to play the game

EDIT: Note that checking "Attempt Support for Custom D3D9.dll" is the most important step because this allows Skyrim Performance Monitor to work with ENBoost.

I had been using "Attempt support for custom d3d9.dll" from the outset.

I carefully followed the STEP Wiki instructions.

I have never used a Mod Organizer, maybe that's my problem, so obviously cannot link to a Modorganizer.exe

Seems odd that Skyrim with EnBoost was working pretty well for me until about Level 30, and now constant desktop crashes.

In any event, I've given up on Skyrim Performance Monitor, can't get it to work.

I made a radical change to my ENBlocal.ini file:  changed "VideoMemorySizeMb" to 1666, down about 350.

Still got a desktop crash.

Thanks for your help.

I think I will give up on Skyrim for now, wait until I buy a new computer (which will have 32GB RAM, 8GB video card) and then I can play it properly.

If Windows 10 has a bug that limits ENBoost to only 4gb of vram in Skyrim, why am I using 6gb of vram in Skyrim?

sN6S3Y9.png

Specs:

6600k @ 4.84/4.84 ghz 

GTX 980 ti @ 1494/3891

16gb DDR4 3131 16-16-16-35

Samsung 950 Pro 512gb

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

(Drivers: Latest one, from 2/15/2016)

ENB version 2.79

The ridiculous Vram usage was done by Nvidia Geforce Experience DSR, @ 1440p x 2 resolution, x8 msaa in launcher, x4 msaa in Inspector, AO on in Inspector, my own personal texture mod overwritten by Tamriel Reloaded. Started in Whiterun, coc to Riverwood, run around, coc to Windhelm, go outside in the snow. VideoMemorySizeMb=9860.

Edited by Dark_wizzie

I'm pretty certain it's referring to RAM not VRAM. Someone corrected me to say it's VRAM recently, but you seem to prove my point of it being RAM. This makes sense because ENBoost uses RAM, not VRAM for its "boosting".

Thank you for the reply. In the ENBLocal ini STEP page, under VideoMemorySizeMB setting it states:

"Windows 8/10 users: Microsoft has, unintentionally, introduced a memory limit for DirectX 9 games/software. This limit is 4GBs (4096) and there is nothing which can be done to circumvent this limit. For users seeing the VRamSizeTest tool reporting 4064 or similar, this is not a mistake. This is actually the limit for the OS in use and the maximum value you can set the VideoMemorySizeMb to."

Boris' vram tool reads 4gb max for DX9, 6gb for DX11. It seems to me what you are saying and what the guide is saying (along with Boris' tool) are contradictory.

Edited by Dark_wizzie

Hmm. I would have assumed that since ram typically mirrors vram, if vram usage is at 6gb, then ram usage would be at 6gb as well. Guess not. I checked and only got 2.1gb usage from ENBHost, and 600mb from Skyrim. In order to hit 6gb of vram usage I had to do some pretty ridiculous things.

So, let's ignore videomemeorysizeMB then. Boris' vram tool tool clearly says 4gb of usuable vram, not ram.

It is a bug with VRAM, as far as I know. Boris made a posting on the Nvidia forum about it, before Microsoft admitted they were at fault.

Maybe it's been fixed in Windows 10...?

That would be amazing, if so.

MOTHER OF GOD. I know Boris is a pain to deal with when he's annoyed, but some of the guys in that Nvidia thread are downright cancerous. They respond to his attitude by multiplying his attitude tenfold and spewing it back to the thread.

A reddit user has responded with this:

Then the 4GB TAGRAM cap applies to you as well.
The display driver, however, is not subject to this limit, so when you use DSR it is able to use the extra space to give you that extra resolution scaling.
SPM gets the VRAM usage value from the display driver. It will report what it is using. This is why without DSR you'll see >4GB occasionally when you have a card with physically more than 4GB or VRAM onboard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/45h1fd/clarifying_enbenboost_on_windows_7_and_an_apology/

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/45so6k/skyrim_system_ram_vram_comparison_between_windows/

Now some users of Windows 8/8.1 and all users of Windows 10 are stuck with a 4GB graphics RAM cap for DirectX 9 applications.

The number you'll get from Boris' tool is 4064.

This means ENB and Skyrim have less than 4GB of graphics RAM to do all they need.

But wait! Windows tells me I have 12,222MB of graphics RAM. Indeed it does! The display driver also knows this. You might see signs of this if you use tools like MSI Afterburner or use the in-game ENB gui to see how much VRAM is being used and see numbers greater than 4064.

In that case the display driver decided it needed some of that shared system memory, or that it still had on-board vram to spare and grabbed some for some purpose.

For users faced with the 4GB VRAM cap, neither ENB or Skyrim, will be aware of this extra VRAM. In this case, Skyrim will start purging textures and meshes from VRAM prematurely to avoid hitting this VRAM cap. This is the reason users of Windows 10 won't see more than one ENBhost process running. When Skyrim decides it wants to purge texture data from RAM, ENB complies.

Edited by Dark_wizzie

I would like to test the behavior of ENBoost/Skyrim with my texture packs on Windows 7 vs 10. Unfortunately, getting 7 onto a seperate partition of my drive when the drive is GPT is causing a motherlode of problems. I've been at it for over 12 hours now (basically after I posted my last post here).

I could go back to MBR, but I really don't want to go back to old tech. Then again, that's what Windows 7 is. The guy I linked via Reddit links, he did a test, but he used textures more akin to something you'd see in STEP. My texture pack is heavier and textures more things, so if I could end up doing my test, I think my test would be more revealing. I'm not buying another 950 Pro just so I can do the test though. 

Huh... I thought it should be as simple as setting the BIOS to UEFI boot mode and then booting a Windows 7 x64 installer from a USB stick. The caveats here being that UEFI boot must be used with GPT partitions and UEFI doesn't supports 32-bit operating systems.

This link is more specific to dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8.html

Huh... I thought it should be as simple as setting the BIOS to UEFI boot mode and then booting a Windows 7 x64 installer from a USB stick. The caveats here being that UEFI boot must be used with GPT partitions and UEFI doesn't supports 32-bit operating systems.

This link is more specific to dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8.html

Don't want to derail this thread, but it's not that simple. I've spent 3 entire days, asked multiple people, and brought a friend along to figure it out. First, a working 64bit ISO must be used, then some file tweaks need to be done to boot in UEFI mode. UEFI needs to be configured, CSM enabled. Download 950 Pro NVMe drivers and paste it in one of the HDD, then select it in install so it can proceed. Microsoft says not to install a newer OS and then install an older OS, it should be the other way around. There were some computer STDs contracted, so I decided to reinstall Windows 10. I couldn't get 7 to work on GPT, I got 225 error which I couldn't fix with repair DVD or command prompt. This is after many, many hours of trying to get stuff working with Rufus and other utilities. Now it's Thursday, 4 in the morning, and I'm trying to reinstall programs in Windows 10 because my image isn't being recognized.

And now here's a part that's relevant to the thread: The compromise I went with is to install Windows 10 on 950 Pro (along with all my normal files, including Skyrim and mods), and Windows 7 on my 850 Pro. Since game files are on 950 Pro, I think it's still a fair test when looking for vram caps/stuttering.

EDIT:

I pinged Boris and he responded.

Hello Boris,

Regarding the 4gb Vram cap with Windows 8 or 10: If I use dynamic superresolution to increase Vram usage past 4gb, would that not be a valid test? At what point does the 4gb vram problem affect the player enough so that a difference can be seen on SPM, or a performance penalty can be felt, or the game crashes with Windows 7 vs 10? A thread on Reddit suggested that when Vram usage goes close to 4gb, Skyrim will try to unload textures preemptively. There will be only 1 ENB exe running, and it will comply. This means there will be some stuttering. Correct?

I managed to get 6gb vram usage with DSR (1440p x 2), and 4.3gb at 1440p on Windows 10.

Ignore all tests, except VRamSizeTest DX9, because games in dx9 mode can't see and use more memory than reported by it. Supersampling in drivers do not change anything from game side, even if driver itself will handle invisible memory for something useful, game still don't have access to more than 4 gb. Stuttering and amount of vram used till flush occurs depends from many reasons and not just 4 gb, this happens earlier and game do not free resources at all in such case, it just crashes, because it can't allocate so much memory without ENBoost, so behavior of out of vram error is undefined (CTD basically). But with ENBoost this is handled and crash never occurs (except cases when driver/os/other apps causes it on no vram condition), this error leads to removing oldest unused resources from video memory to create new, with backups to enbhost.exe processes (multiple, if one is not enough).

Edited by Dark_wizzie

Go to the page to see the photos on the reddit page to see what they look like up close. Too small here.

That is insightful. Is this testing with the latest Windows 10 version? Because I noticed that Microsoft fixed some major game issues with the latest version that i had had originally, and perhaps they silently changed this. Go to Settings --> System --> About and what is your version and build numbers?