first time step guide user needs some answers :)

registeringsucks

Question

hi, i use the step guide for the first time and followed every point on the list, now i have some questions:

1) i use nexus mod manager and i am unfamiliar with wrye bash but i downloaded it and tried to start it but it wants me to use winrar. unfortunatly i use 7zip. is there a way to tell wrye bash that it should use 7zip? (actually there is only 1 mod where i wanted to test wrye bash, skyrim redesigned, so if wrye bash doesnt work with 7zip i will try to install it manually. btw what is "==Last==" it appears in the wrye bash installer tab :O)

2) what are step core mods or step extended mods? (my theory is that step core mods have a green line infront of the name, fyi i downloaded all the mods but installed only until "closer quivers and longer arrows" mod which was the first mod that wanted me to decide between core or extended)

3) i own skyrim+dawnguard+dragonborn so i need to install the step combined plugin (?) but what does that mean for the mods that want me to decide wether i want to install step core or step extended patch?

4)i found a enbhost.exe in my skyrim folder, am i supposed to run it? or maybe i did it already and dont need to do it again? when i start a game it tells me in red letters something about enb.ini (or similiar)

5) yes i followed the guide as much as i am capable without understanding some of the things. english isnt my first language and i feel the guide assumes that the user has a certain know how. i am not sure if i did everything right. on the bright side however the mods that i installed until the "closer quivers and longer arrows" mod do run when i start skyrim, the game looks good although i am not so happy with some trees or bushes. they are so very "2D" here some screens

https://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/37479739517742766/7424574DA18FE83D11E57277E31C6735EC200C05/

https://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/37479739517748543/09F63C87A4C1999C9C6CCDAB371538C425180AE9/

https://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/37479739517746352/A8228FF34FFB762FEA4193476965483D96D74CCA/

(i will watch some tv now since the modding was a tad exhausting ;/ i will be back in an hour or maybe tomorrow (tomorrow is unlikely but could happen), i hope u can help me :)

Edited by registeringsucks

4 answers to this question

Just install them manually...

STEP 2.2.9 was written for MO

Wrye Bash became unsupported and the BCFs last time I remember have issues with not working at all.

That is both STEP Core and Extended...

Extended is going to be moving to its own pack for 2.3.0 last time I checked

The green line symbolizes STEP Core.\

STEP Core is like the BASE to all of the Packs... 

STEP Extended is going to be moving to its own pack in the next version...

To play just core, Install the mods with the green tag in the first column of the table.

enboost.exe will automatically start when the game is launched and the d3d9.dll hooks properly

• +1 1

For skyrim it is highly recommended that you use MO, NMM cant really understand mod archives that are not packed perfectly and will then not install it properly and can cause issues.

the ==Last==

The "=" are used as headers in some webpage markup

two "=" that are together and on both sides will result in a header 2 with the text "Last"

In other words... Its the "Last" mod archive that will overwrite all the others.

Core is the required mods to properly use STEP

The Extended is like an extra "Pack" that if you use them then they should all be installed.

Here are some other "Packs"

Packs are extra mod packages and run by members that use STEP Core and Extended as a base to work off of.

You should be using the combined plugin because it merges mod and plugins into this patch.

As long as you use the correct version and have all of the masters everything should go off without a hitch.

Yes, Enboost/enb STILL needs to be in the Skyrim Root folder.

If you thought SFO brushes are bad then you do not want to see vanilla...

If you want something better the try out SFO 2.0 + 2.0D + 2.0E

...Im done typing, yay...

i guess when i start to use MO i need to go through the installing process again? cause i am doing this since yesterday afternoon and i am not eager to start all over ;/

2) so what are the mods that i have downloaded so far? from this site only https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide is this the step core? all of this? what is the reason for the green line infront of the mods?

3) what am i supposed to use when i have to decide wether to use core or extended? u refered to "packs" are the mods from https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide one pack? is it the core pack? atm i just want to play so if this is the core pack i am fine with it and i will install the rest of the mods in favour of the core pack.

4) is it enough if the enboost.exe is in skyrim folder or do i need to run it after i installed all the mods? or before every game start?