BOSS (by WrinklyNinja)

Bealdwine

Question

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm having an unusual problem with BOSS. The program works fine out of MO and normally but other programs that use BOSS e.g. BUM and any skyproc program such as DSR and reproccer get stuck at the running BOSS part. Also BOSS will not read any of the changes made in the userlist made by BUM only the generic one included with BOSS.

Has anyone come up with this before?

It's getting annoying now so would love to find some kind of solution, pretty please, fingers crossed etc...

:)

Ok problem is solved - it never occurred to me that placing BOSS in it's own folder in \Common would be any kind of an issue but moving it out of the folder and into the common folder seems to have fixed it - don;t know why, don't know how, don't care/ SOLVED.

Hi, I haven't been using MO very long but I just noticed that for some reason any changes in the userlist.txt file are being marked as inactive and when I run BOSS (through MO) it doesn't seem to sort any of the changes in the userlist. This includes changes made through BUM (also run through MO) and manually added ones. Actually manually added it seems to work the first time but then at some point after it switches the change to inactive. I don't have very many changes to it so it's not too much of a hassle to resort manually the few files I have different but it seems odd that it doesn't seem to be working correctly. Maybe I'm just being dense and the answer is obvious but it's bugging me.

By inactive I mean each entry has //Inactive: (insert userlist rule)

Meant to post an update on my issue yesterday but I forgot. I don't know how I did it but I seem to have fixed it by deleting the userlist and making a new one. I'm pretty sure I did this before when the problem first popped up and it didn't work so maybe something else fixed it but either way it's working for me now ;)

I ran into a problem myself trying to get the newest version of BOSS to load properly (version 2.2.0).  It turned out that I didn't have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package properly installed.  I think it's important to mention the proper way to install the new version of BOSS in the "detailed instructions" link in the STEP guide.

At first, I didn't even have the MSVCR installed at all.  Then I checked out the BOSS download site again and saw that it was mentioned there as being required, so I downloaded it.  I still could not get BOSS to load properly.  Then I realized that it was because I downloaded the x64 version instead of the x86 version (which was the one mentioned on the BOSS download site).  So after uninstalling the x64 version and installing the x86 version, it now works.  I think this can be easily overlooked though, so that's why I think a note should be placed about it in STEP's detailed instructions.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I'm not sure if this is a BOSS question or an MO question. I installed BOSS in my Skyrim directory but MO still didn't see it (I closed and reopened MO and it still wasn't in the list). I found the executable and added it as described here in the "MO Users" section (even though it *was* in the skyrim directory) and now it's in the list, but when I try to run BOSS from MO it can't find my skyrim. It asks me what game it's supposed to be used for, but it says all of them are not detected, including skyrim. It didn't mean the skyrim/skyrim directory did it?

Looking more closely at my skyrim directory, I also seem to have a Fallout directory inside it and an Oblivion directory and a Nehrim directory and such. I think I may have done something wrong somewhere and may need to start over once I look carefully and try to find where this happened.

Installing BOSS to the skyrim directory (not skyrim/Skyrim) is only preferable so that Mod Organizer can automatically detect it and add it to the executables list, and so that if there are any UAC issues, it will be readily noticeable as it will be the same for everything, causing less potential for issues.

I'm pretty sure BOSS checks the registry for your skyrim installation. Did Mod Organizer automatically detect your Skyrim installation? Or did you have to browse to the folder. And if so, is Mod Organizer pointing to the skyrim directory, or the skyrim/Skyrim directory?

Mod Organizer found both Skyrim and Skyrim launcher fine. MO has a Mod Organizer folder which is sitting in the Skyrim directory next to the tesv.exe. BOSS when I installed it did not make a folder, but threw all its stuff loose in the Skyrim directory. (That is, my skyrim directory, the one with tesv.exe in it, has "boss gui.exe" as well as boss.exe and bosslog.html, and boss's uninstall executable. I am not sure why MO didn't find BOSS, but even after I added BOSS GUI manually to MO and it can now be launched from MO, it says skyrim is "not detected" like it does for the other games.

Update: I just now accidentally clicked BOSS (regular, not gui) in my start menu looking for MO and ran it that way. Now when I run BOSS through MO it can find skyrim. It got identical results run both ways, but that is probably expected in this specific case since I currently have no mods installed and have all the DLC deselected both in the skyrim launcher and in MO.

It would appear that there is something BOSS is looking for to see what games are installed that it cannot find from within the virtual file system, but also that when it does find it it writes something to somewhere it can read from within the virtual file system. Not knowing how BOSS decides what it can detect, I do not know for sure if this is correct, but it would explain my observation (and if anyone has more details on this, I would probably find it a fun read).

I may end up starting over if I can't find why there are loose folders named after other games in my skyrim directory. I bet they were added by either MO WB or BOSS but I do not know which. If it helps, the folders are called "Fallout 3" "Fallout New Vegas" "Nehrim" and "Oblivion" and each has a folder ".git" inside. But then so does the skyrim/skyrim directory (ie, inside the skyrim folder that has tesv.exe, there is a skyrim folder which contains the .git folder) but it also has a BOSSlog.html masterlist.txt modlist.old SkyrimPrefs.ini and userlist.txt. I am suspecting these are BOSS folders. Should I delete the ones that are not for skyrim? Or did I do the installation wrong?

I'm currently thinking I should read the whole guide two or three times before next attempt and take notes to look for anything else that might catch me by surprise. Once I've got an install of STEP:Core, I may have some suggestions for guide clarity. (I'll try to find the right thread for them.)