Followers, custom houses, some advice needed.

Ok this might be a very basic question, but I have never used a follower in Skyrim. More than 300 hours played and I've never used one apart from Serana (which you can't avoid at some parts). So I have very limited knowledge about even vanilla follower functions.

I'm only using one custom house mod, Castle Stonespire. It adds a couple very basic followers as guards to the place, which are also Essential. 

What I want to do is remove the Essential status, so they can die. And when or if they do, I can move other followers in their place.

I know how to do most of that, but from my understanding, you can't move followers to a home. You need a mod like my Home is your home.

Is that correct?

Any tips on the general direction I should take for doing that? 

Edited by Marthenil

Yes, you'll need something like My Home is Your Home or one of the follower tweak mods that can accomplish much the same thing. For example, Amazing Follower Tweaks lets you tell your one or more of your followers to "dismiss but stay here" so they enter sandbox mode at the current location but don't leave this location. I used Amazing Follower Tweaks for a while earlier last year and it works fairly well for managing multiple followers.

I don't use followers anymore because I finally settled into being a sneaky archer using long-range stealth techniques and followers were more trouble than they are worth. It seems every time I cocked the bow for a nice shot, one of them would shout "I thought I heard something!" and storm in swords blazing. :wallbash:

Yeah, gotta love those followers...