Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2 not working.

NomenNescio

Question

I just switched to MO the other day and all my mods seem to be working fine with the exception of the Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2. I tried installing to a completely clean install of skyrim with no other mods, and it still didn't work so it's not a conflicts issue, I checked the data tap and the sound files appear under Sound - fix, the latter of which I believe to be made by the mod.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is, have anyone else encountered similar problems?

• Answers 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just wanted to note here that as I am working with LoRd KoRn to update all patches for AOS, I can confirm that any relevant USKP fixes that have been added since AOS' last release in May will be incorporated in the upcoming AOS update.

Good to know. Excellent.

@Guard: Sure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8e1wfp1fcyiga3/ModOrganizer.ini?dl=0

@Thane: I tried disabling the .esp's the sound is still missing

@Daedric Prince: I assume I'm looking for the folder entitled "Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2"? And yes it is there and has a bunch of sub folders and audio files within.

Edited by NomenNescio

@NomenNescio

What version of MO are you using?

I'm curious about your ModOrganizer.ini. In it you have settings for both the Skyrim Launcher and the Skyrim game. These shouldn't need setting by you as they are automatically set by MO. When you look at the 'Add executables' dialog, the launcher, game and the Creation Kit (if installed) will show as greyed-out, whereas all the user set options are black and bold.

Was there some issue with your initial setup that caused you to add them?

It may be that you are running an instance of Skyrim in side MO that isn't recognizing ANY mods by doing it this way.

Try removing those settings by editing it in Notepad. The UI should recognize the game based on registry settings and fill in the game executables for you.

If that doesn't work then perhaps you have moved Skyrim after installation and the registry isn't pointing to the current location.

And did MO start correctly? Did you notice any difference with mods working?

That second ini is closer to what mine looks like.

I did install MO some time ago and just updated the install, not with a complete reinstall of a later version. It possible that Tannin has made some changes to the ini settings though I can't imagine why.

I have MO for all the supported games and none of the ModOrganizer.ini files list the default game executables or their script extender loaders.

@Guard: Sure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8e1wfp1fcyiga3/ModOrganizer.ini?dl=0

@Thane: I tried disabling the .esp's the sound is still missing

@Daedric Prince: I assume I'm looking for the folder entitled "Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2"? And yes it is there and has a bunch of sub folders and audio files within.

By the way, "Guard", "Thane", & Daedric Prince are just cute "titles" STEP users have based on how many posts they've made. The actual username is just above that, in the lighter grey bar, here:

c8ElbLZ.png 

Anyhow, let's review what you have confirmed up to now:

1. The AOS.esp plugin does load correctly when active because you see the extra "Waterfalls and Rapids" sound volume slider in Skyrim's Sound Settings menu. So this tells us MO is working correctly as far as the .esp plugin is concerned.
  2. The AOS sound files exist in the AOS mod folder in your Mod Organizer/Mods/ directory
  3. You can see the AOS sound files listed in Mod Organizer's preview of its virual Skyrim /data directory, as seen in the Data tab of MO's right-hand pane. For example, you confirmed seeing .wav sound files from AOS listed in /data/sound/fx/amb/.
  4. When the AOS.esp plugin in is completely disabled (not just deselected) in the load order, sounds such as bow shooting sounds and footstep sounds still don't play.
  5. If you completely disable the AOS mod in MO, then the vanilla sounds play as normal.

If all of these things are true, then it points to the MO .wav sound files as being the problem somehow.

I suppose the next step is to try playing some of them straight out of Mod Organizer. Try this:

• In the Data tab of MO's right-hand pane, open up the /sound directory and find /sound/fx/wpn/bow/fire/
  • There should be 3 .wav audio files in that folder, named wpn_bow_fire_01.wavwpn_bow_fire_02.wav, and ...03.wav.
  • Right click on each one and select Open / Execute to play them in your default audio player application for .wav files.
  • Do you hear anything?

If you do hear the sounds, then there must be something happening where Mod Organizer is not allowed to access those sound files to play them.

I also would recommend to check one more time that when the AOS.esp plugin is active in MO, you see the "Waterfalls and Rapids" sound volume slider in Skyrim's Sound Settings menu. That is very important in terms of troubleshooting the problem.

Alright first of all @GrantSP It had no effect on my game what so ever.

@keithinhanoi: All 5 assertions are correct, I tried executing the .wav file through MO and it launched VLCPlayer with the correct sound, so no problem here either. (I relaunched to check if the audio sliders were indeed there and they were)

Edited by NomenNescio

@keithinhanoi: All 5 assertions are correct, I tried executing the .wav file through MO and it launched VLCPlayer with the correct sound, so no problem here either. (I relaunched to check if the audio sliders were indeed there and they were)

Okay, well that shows that MO is loading the plugin just fine, but then although the sound files aren't corrupt, they either aren't being recognized or not allowed to play when they're accessed in-game.

There's a remote possibility that the format of AOS' .wav audio files is different from the ones included in Skyrim's Sounds.bsa archive, and for some reason that audio format won't play on your particular system.

Since AOS' sounds still didn't play even when you completely disabled the AOS.esp plugin, it would be helpful to test if "replacement" sounds extracted from Sounds.bsa play in-game as expected. I'm thinking maybe take a very different sound file from Sounds.bsa and rename it to the bow shooting sound(s) and then manually add that as a mod in MO to see if it plays in-game.

If you want to try that, I could make a .zip file with a sound file to manually install like that.

Okay, sorry for the delay - I've been very busy with work.

I've created a very simple "mod" which provides replacement sound files for the 3 bow firing sounds. The origin of the sounds is from Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, but I'm not going to say what sounds they are, so that way we can make sure it works!

You can grab it from < edit: link removed >.

Install it manually in MO (the box with CD icon in the top left corner), and then disable all other mods, even AOS, except for this test set of sounds, and Skyrim and the DLCs.

When you go in game, try shooting a bow, and the let me know what you hear - if anything.

Depending on what happens I think I may know what to try next.

Edited by keithinhanoi

@hishutup: Sorry that wasn't it either.

@keithinhanoi: I installed your "mod" and fired off a bunch of arrows in my vanilla profile. Most of the time I got regular bow sounds, a third of the time I got a sheep or a goat sound, and on my second shot (and only that second shot so it was probably a fluke) I got no sound at all.

Wait… what about archive invaildation?

Could that be an issue

Goto your mo profiles and see if it is checked

Archive invalidation shouldn't have anything to do with this, because AOS doesn't include a .bsa archive.

@keithinhanoi: I installed your "mod" and fired off a bunch of arrows in my vanilla profile. Most of the time I got regular bow sounds, a third of the time I got a sheep or a goat sound, and on my second shot (and only that second shot so it was probably a fluke) I got no sound at all.

Okay. Well the goat sound is correct, and your results pointed out that I made a mistake when renaming the two of the three bow sounds, so hearing the goat a third of the time is exactly what you would expect.

So, this means the problem is not that no loose file sounds are working - just the ones included with AOS.

I've made a second test, which is simply just AOS' three bow fire sounds in a .7z archive. If you delete the first test, and install this one, again with no other mods on except Skyrim and the DLCs, then that should show if there's a problem specific to AOS' audio files on your system. These sounds work just fine for me when I try the same test, so in theory they should work for you.

You can grab it < edit: link removed >.

Edited by keithinhanoi