Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2 not working.

NomenNescio

Question

I just switched to MO the other day and all my mods seem to be working fine with the exception of the Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2. I tried installing to a completely clean install of skyrim with no other mods, and it still didn't work so it's not a conflicts issue, I checked the data tap and the sound files appear under Sound - fix, the latter of which I believe to be made by the mod.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is, have anyone else encountered similar problems?

• Answers 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Archive invalidation shouldn't have anything to do with this, because AOS doesn't include a .bsa archive.

Actually, you would be wrong about that. Improper AI will cause BSAs to overwrite loose files, so the vanilla files would overwrite the mod's loose files.

@NomenNescio

Try this: Click the wrench Wrench_MO.png button, go to the Workarounds tab, and click Back-date BSAs. Now see if that fixes the issue.

Actually, you would be wrong about that. Improper AI will cause BSAs to overwrite loose files, so the vanilla files would overwrite the mod's loose files.

That's the first I've heard that BSAs could overwrite loose files in Skyrim. I'd love a link that explains more about this phenomenon, just for future reference - thanks for the correction.

@NomenNescio

So, now we know that only the AOS sounds are not working for you. I looked at them in an audio editor, and discovered they have an extra "track" of information, which is a timecode. This is obviously not a problem for 99.9% of users, because people would have posted comments immediately, but maybe it doesn't work on your system for some reason.

I have removed the timecode data from the AOS bow shoot sounds, and resaved them as .wav in the exact same format as before.

So this is a third test "mod" to try, after removing test 2.

You can grab it here.

If the sounds in this third test, then I'd have to guess that there's something about the AOS .wav file format that isn't working on your system for some reason.

@NomenNescio: That is really strange, and not what I expected. Because I re-saved those files, I totally expected them to play in-game for you.

There must be something else about their format that isn't working. I'm quite busy this weekend, so it will take me a while to get back to you.

By the way, AOS v2.2 has been released, though there's a "hot" fix coming soon, so if you were to try downloading it to see if it works any better, you should wait a day or so.

I don't expect it to change anything, but I suppose it's worth a try - I know this has gone beyond frustrating at this point!  :confused:

Hmm, this sounds like a straight up no issue at this point...

I wouldn't be so dismissive, @keithinhanoi is on to something here, there is something odd about the operating environment of @NomenNescio's machine that is causing this.

There can be no conflict as those files exist only in AOS.

The test sounds supplied work just fine on my machine so it can't be the plugin or wav files rather it is the way those sounds are handled on his machine.

Oops, there was a typo.

Stupid phone...

GrantSP, does your comment still apply?

I agree that there is something odd.

Wow what a difference a 'M' instead of a 'n' makes!

I think it still applies. Of course I only deal in MO matters and the wav files supplied work just fine for me. Clearly though some of them just refuse to work for @NomenNescio.

As @Keithinhanoi is linked to the mod and he is already found something odd with those files, I'd let him run through his thinking before trying something else.

The thing is - if it was an MO issue, I would expect no replacement sound mods to work.

However, when NomenNescio tried my test of a "mod" using renamed sound files extracted from Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, he heard the goat sound I had renamed to be used as a bow shoot sound.

Then after I removed the timecode data from the three AOS bow sounds, which was the only thing different I saw in terms of the file format, they still didn't play for him.

This says to me that it's something in those files that on his system, won't play in Skyrim - though keep in mind all of them play fine when using the "open" feature in MO to load them into VLC (his default audio player.)

So, I can't rule out MO has something to do with it, unless the last test I sent is unpacked directly into the real Skyrim / Data folder, and then Skyrim is run without Mod Organizer.

So, NomenNescio, if you still have test #3, can you try that?

Copy the Sound folder directly into the "real" Skyrim / data directory. If you've cleaned out your /data directory to use MO, then there shouldn't be any Sound folder in there, so I expect no message about replacing the folder, etc.

After copying that Sound folder into Skyrim / data, then run Skyrim using the Skyrim Launcher - don't run MO at all. If the bow shoot sounds play, then Mod Organizer is involved in some way, and if they don't play, then MO is not part of the issue.

Troubleshooting should involve discovering what factors are not involved in the issue - Sorry that I didn't think of this test before!

Hey I've been gone all weekend, but now I'm back I'll try out the stuff you guys suggested, but for now I'd just like to leave you with this. I've been using AOS on this system now for about 6 months and I never had a problem with it until I switched to MO, so to say MO isn't the problem I find highly implausible.

Edit: I tested your testmod as you suggested, just dropped the sound folder into my skyrim data directory, I then ran Skyrim through the SKSE launcher in the skyrim folder and the sounds work just fine.

Edited by NomenNescio