Mod Organizer hanging on launch

Ares90000

Question

I've just recently installed MO to replace NMM.  After finishing moving all of my files to MO and attempting to download more, I've ran into some problems with Windows attempting to run another MO process if it is already open when I try to download with manager.  Now more recently MO doesn't seem to be opening in general, all it does is start a process that uses up 15% of my CPU and then hangs, not even the MO splash will appear.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Ares90000/SystemSpecs  If needed, running on Windows 7

There was one around that time, but it was a definitions update.  I uninstalled it anyway, but no change.  

I played around with it some more and got it to start by deleting my categories.dat file.  The only thing I can figure is that it somehow got corrupted.  I have since rebuilt my categories and am in the process of reassigning all of my mods.

• +1 1

I have been running MO since the summer without any problems until yesterday and now I am having the same issue as the OP.  

I did a fresh reinstall of MO and it opened fine.  After I closed it, I restored my profiles, mods, and downloads folders.  It would not start; it just hung on the splash screen.  After playing around with everything I was able to rule out my profiles and my downloads.  MO would load with some mods, but hangs again at around 20 mods.  

I also tried installing MO on a different hard drive.  I had the same results.  

This started yesterday.  

I have not installed any new programs in 8 days.  

The only mod I downloaded yesterday was Ghosu - Horker Weapon Pack.

There were no files downloading.

Skyrim is my only game that uses MO.

I followed STEP to setup up MO.

When it hangs MO sits at 17% Proc and 47,348K Memory.  I have let it sit like that for several hours without change.

That's interesting, keep an eye out for any errors in the ids. Also make sure you save it with the correct encoding. I've stuffed up categories before but never had crashes. If you do have the same issue post your categories.dat so we can check it out.

That of course applies only if you edited it without the GUI.

Edited by GrantSP

I ran into a similar issue 3 times - I was happily downloading/installing mods, then suddenly MO would crash and if I tried to run it again it froze on the start screen. I usually managed to fix it by deleting the contents of my mods/downloads folders and starting over, which was extremely frustrating. It just happened again, and I deleted my categories.dat file, and it works! Thanks HaloGrunt!