Starting NVSE/FNV4GB through MO does not work

Peanut7633

Question

Hi there.

I've run into a bit of a problem when i switched to MO. I did a clean install of the game and started anew with MO. I already use MO for Skyrim and i thought i might aswell use it for New Vegas since the UI/HUD problems has been fixed by UIO. I reinstalled all of my mods in MO aswell as a new install of both NVSE and FNV4GB. Now to the problem at hand, it seems i cannot start either NVSE or FNV4GB through MO. They work perfectly fine when started by themselves but as soon as i try it in MO i get the loading mouse aswell as the message "MO is locked wile the executable is running". This should normally mean that the game has started, though it hasn't. I can see it in task manager but after a while it disappears. I have attempted various "fixes" such as adding various arguments to the exe and starting everything as admin. Adding the argument "laaexe .FalloutMO.exe" starts the launcher normally through steam and none of my mods gets loaded.

I'm losing hope and i'm considering switching back to NMM. Works like a charm with skyrim though.

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

If you have all you mods installed then it's probably the BSA limit from the way that MO handles BSAs and FNV. Extract some mod BSAs one by one until the game starts with the 4GB loader.

EDIT: leave the vanilla BSAs alone.

This fixed the problem. Thanks alot!

Actually I hit this issue in my Fallout3 game and didn't know why. Disabling the BSA management in MO for Fallout3 fixed it for me.

If we could get some figures together on what is exactly the limit for those game engines when run in MO, we could add it to the guide.

Is it the number of bsas or is it the combined memory needed to load them? ie. 2 bsa files totalling 1GB or 10 bsas totalling 1GB which will fail?

@EssArrBee

Any ideas on how to measure this? I would be willing to do some tests if we could define the parameters so as to avoid coincidental changes.

There is a limit on INI loaded BSAs by the combined character count. It's 254 for vanilla and 1000 with NVAC. Then I think there is a separate limit on plugin loaded BSAs and I don't know what it is. I was so frustrated by the issue that I never tested it to see what it really was. I'm guessing it could be another 254 character limit, but it also could be the total number of plugin loaded BSAs. Or, it's a combined number BSAs, but I doubt that because I have like 23 right now and I don't see why it would be 23 since that isn't a relevant binary number.

The easiest way to test it would be to only have one mod installed with a BSA and make the name 254 characters and start the game. Then add one letter at a time and see if it works or stops working. I think the BSA will need to have the title of the plugin first: <plugin name> - <extra stuff>.bsa

So it's not the size of the bsa files that is the catch, it's the references in memory, ie. the name of the bsa.

Interesting. That makes me wonder though, since MO manages the bsa files, as far as the game engine is concerned, they should appear as separate files and therefore null the INI bsa limit. Yet my problem was resolved by removing the MO management, which means those bsas were then viewed as bsa files and under the limit restrictions again. Confused!

I'm going to do a bit of fiddling. With the game that is!