STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures (by z929669)

z929669

MFG Console just gives the BaseID/FormID and the path of the mesh. I've never seen it give the name of the texture, but I think the name(s) of the textures are typically in the mesh as seen in NIFSkope.

I have yet to find a way to get MFG Console to provide information on LOD meshes, albeit I don't know if this is because MFG Console doesn't or because I haven't figured out how to do it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have confirmed that this texture is the source ... and it should not have been optimized.

It is OK to optimize terrain if done correctly ... but not tamriel.objects.dds

It is weird though, because the compression format was not changed by DDSopt at all, so this texture should just be totally skipped (and I thought it was skipped according to my DDSopt.ini)

If you are willing, please replace that one file and keep checking though and let me know if you find anything borked that is not from tamriel.objects.dds

OK, I have confirmed that this texture is the source ... and it should not have been optimized.

It is OK to optimize terrain if done correctly ... but not tamriel.objects.dds

It is weird though, because the compression format was not changed by DDSopt at all, so this texture should just be totally skipped (and I thought it was skipped according to my DDSopt.ini)

If you are willing, please replace that one file and keep checking though and let me know if you find anything borked that is not from tamriel.objects.dds

Would you consider re-uploading the pack? I really like having those optimized textures as a BSA :) Besides what hishutup reported (Did not realize that it was caused by this pack) I have not encountered any weird stuff so far, and I have used the performance version since the beginning of November :) 

Yeah, that one texture snuck through in my processing and 'should' be the only problematic texture.

I will re-upload soon, but would like to verify that there are no more obvious issues ... and there are some USP textures that were recently added to the USP, so I need to delete those as well and update the Readme, so give me a few days to do so.

in the meantime, you can manually create an MO mod with that one unoptimized texture inside and load it after the optimized textures package.

Yeah, that one texture snuck through in my processing and 'should' be the only problematic texture.

I will re-upload soon, but would like to verify that there are no more obvious issues ... and there are some USP textures that were recently added to the USP, so I need to delete those as well and update the Readme, so give me a few days to do so.

in the meantime, you can manually create an MO mod with that one unoptimized texture inside and load it after the optimized textures package.

Z, instead of reuploading the whole thing, you should just release a hotfix with the texture. It can overwrite the bad texture and you do not have to reupload the large file.

Uploading a small patch to fix tamriel.objects.dds and forward several USP assets that have been added to the USKP and the USHP since first release.

I will shortly be overwriting the main files, but this will save those that have already downloaded v1.0 the trouble of grabbing another large file.

Uploading a small patch to fix tamriel.objects.dds and forward several USP assets that have been added to the USKP and the USHP since first release.

I will shortly be overwriting the main files, but this will save those that have already downloaded v1.0 the trouble of grabbing another large file.

Thanks. I really appreciate this :)

NP ;)

The Nexus is (again) having issues with these large files, so my updates are not available yet (Nexus virus scanner seems to be mucking up file size for large files and endlessly 'scanning' these without releasing them for download).

I have updated the OP with links to my Copy share for download of the full versions.

Correct ... also, tony971's stuff has more options and likely does not use quite the same techniques for certain textures ... for example, I convert uncompressed terrain textures to 565 format, but most would convert to DXT ... not sure what exactly tony is doing, but there are many ways to skin a cat, and i have not examined his readme's or techniques to be able to say how much differs ... his files are smaller though, so that tells me that I have more files included in mine (or that he has reduced more than I have).

It would probably be a good idea for me to take a close look at his mod to determine the differences. I will do that one of these days unless someone beats me to it.

@ophansologo

I included the DDSopt log in the download, which provides all details as to the conversion of each texture provided.