Crappy Download speeds

Th3Rush22

Question

I recently switched to mod organizer from NMM. I rerally enjoy all of the features that mod organizer provides, but i am having a problem with download speeds.

The download speeds are at about a tenth of what they were with NMM and thats really frustrating. That along with half of my mods getting an error half way through and pause and i have to completly redownload again is really making me question the switch. Its all mods and the large one take like all day to download. and then if i have a few large mods downloading at the same time its like mod organizer just says "screw it" and stops all the mods and i cant get them to download again.

I dont believe that the download speeds are suppose to be this slow so if any one has a fix for this could they please let me know.

12 answers to this question

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't believe it is a MO issue as such but... it is possible the Nexus web page code has been tweaked to look for NMM users and assign a server that is crappy to non-NMM users. Nexus does do things like that as is evidenced by the NMM version lock out that happens from time to time.

I have MO setup for all the supported games and the download speeds I get are in the range of 250 - 300 Kbps so maybe I'm just lucky or it is because I had my servers set in MO before Nexus fiddled.

There is snippet from Tannin that has a bearing on the matter.

Edited by GrantSP

No, how would it? MO lists all servers Nexus transmitted in the last download in that instance of MO If there is only one (which is it? CDN?) then that's what Nexus tells me, I highly doubt NMM has any faster mirrors available (unless you are premium user and didn't enter your account info in MO).

Problems with CDN are a matter for Nexus.

In my XP, MO download speed is akin to downloading any other way and thus limited by Nexus side of things. Switching preferred servers like tannin mentions can have a big impact (unless there are no choices, then try refreshing MO maybe).

The other major difference is whether or not one has a Nexus Premium account or not. Any serious modder should consider forking over the $64 (maybe more now) to get lifetime Premium membership at the Nexus. I purchased this years ago, since I had been using the site for so long that it just seemed 'right' to support it. Afterwards, I noticed right away that my 1GB downloads only required a few minutes to complete.

Premium servers are probably one to two orders of magnitude faster than standard servers, and you can prioritize them in MO I think.

No, how would it? MO lists all servers Nexus transmitted in the last download in that instance of MO If there is only one (which is it? CDN?) then that's what Nexus tells me, I highly doubt NMM has any faster mirrors available (unless you are premium user and didn't enter your account info in MO).

Problems with CDN are a matter for Nexus.

I understand MO has no impact on the selection of servers but I am confused why on my first installation of MO my available servers box shows this:

5efe9c5bb7.png

but subsequent installs only show servers like this:

67f83749b4.png

I haven't been a premium account user for years and certainly never since using MO so why are my settings so different?

On other side of the table, consider how much money it costs Nexus to maintain server racks, redundant disk storage, network bandwidth, and electricity (and employee costs) to give us easy access to all these free mods. Quite frankly, I think $64 for a lifetime premium membership is dirt cheap. I keep all the mods I've downloaded/installed safely tucked away on a NAS so I don't have to keep eating Nexus' bandwidth when I setup a new playthrough because I know it's easy to think downloading SMIM is free, but CDN and bandwidth fees aren't exactly free for Nexus.

I think the only servers I've used are the premium servers and the CDN, so I'm not sure if the standard servers are generally slower or the non-premium accounts are throttled (or perhaps both). Before Nexus moved to the CDN I just picked whichever server was at the top of the list and these are normally the premium servers. After Nexus moved to the CDN, I didn't bother to change my preferences so it always picked CDN and I think in the case of the CDN the non-premium accounts may be throttled.

Yeah, I got to second this thread... As a lifetime Nexus Premium Member... MO2 downloads suck... Dont know if its Nexus or MO2 but if I manually download (Ninja Download Manager) or download using NMM or the new vortex I get ~4MB/s while using MO2 I get ~200kbps... If Nexus is responsible shame on them, I paid for premium service... and it always seems to me anyways that their premium servers selected dont offer better speed than the CDN downloads...