Managing .ini paramaters with MO

NameTaken

Question

I just stumbled on the info box about managing .ini files with MO ("Some context on in tweaks") and it looks like a great way to quickly toggle parameters without editing/commenting the .ini files proper.

The info box suggests to use this feature for mods that need a specific parameter to be changed (like SFO), but is it safe to use this feature to make all mandatory STEP modifications to the .ini files? Meaning, the files in my ModOrganizer\Profiles\STEP Core\ folder will remain in their vanilla state and the tweaks will be handled by MO. I have given it a quick try and it seems to work (additions and modifications in both Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini are taken into account in-game), but is there a reason I should stay away from this way of handling these parameters?

3 answers to this question

You should really only use the 'INI Tweak' feature for specific mods that need to have those specific ini edits.

An example I have is for the mod 'Terminal Console'. I've placed a tweak that colours the text differently when I have that mod active.

[Menu]
rConsoleHistoryTextColor=0,200,9
iConsoleTextSize=14
rConsoleTextColor=0,255,12
iConsoleSizeScreenPercent=50

When I don't have that mod active these changes don't need to be active and using a tweak means they aren't.

But, if the established norm with STEP is to not use them, then stick with that.

You must be right. I have played a bit more with the feature and although it seems to work without issues with all recommended STEP parameters, it does not make much sense to manage them this way, so I'll go back the the standard way and use this feature for mod-specific parameters. Thanks for the answers guys.

Edited by NameTaken