Installing LOOT

bitdman

Question

Are we sure that the video for installing LOOT is correct? I'm following it to the letter but when ever I click on "sort" I get the "LOOT needs to close"error" I haven't found anything in other topics about this happening. I ran TESVEdit and did not get any errors. I've got the STEP Expanded downloaded,and the Patch. Everything works except for LOOT.  I've had Skyrim running before with no problems but switched to FONV for a while.

4 answers to this question

Well since that is the STEP official process, ie it applies to Skyrim specifically, then I would say, yes, it is correct.

However, in my opinion that is too narrow an installation process for the more experienced gamer/modder.

There is no reason to have LOOT installed into the Skyrim folder, in fact I would argue against it. I always recommend installing these tools outside of any Windows controlled folders and more importantly game specific folders.

The way I would suggest it is to use either the installer or archive versions, my choice would be the archive version, and when given the option choose a folder specifically for your modding tools. I have a folder called C:\Games\Utils\ that holds all the tools I use for modding.

My LOOT installation looks like this:

C:\Games\Utils\LOOT\docs
C:\Games\Utils\LOOT\resources
C:\Games\Utils\LOOT\LOOT.exe

Since I use MO for all the supported games, I simply add the switch to the arguments field in the executabes dialog to start LOOT with the desired game like this:

--game=Skyrim

or

--game=Oblivion

This ensures LOOT works as expected for all the games and I don't have to remember to choose the game from LOOT's game selector menu.

Installing LOOT in this fashion keeps the game folders free of tools that don't need to be there and means it can be just one installation for many games.

I have never had any errors reported by using this 'non-STEP' method, so you could try that and see if you get any better results.

I'll give it a try. Thanks much.

Nope no go.  I used the uninstaller to remove loot and ran search to see if there was any more LOOT laying around. Then downloaded the installer and ran it and chose a partision on another drive to load it. I ticked "skyrim game" and clicked on "sort" and error "LOOT stoped running, windows can find a remedy on line...blah...blah.  I don't get it. LOOT has always worked so well in the past. Not sure what to do now