Enhanced Skyrim Factions - Companions Guild (by DreamKing)

Neovalen

Discussion thread:

Enhanced Skyrim Factions - The Companions Guild by DreamKing

Wiki Link

Skyrim's Companions guild questline suffers from being too short and too linear; it is possible for a low-level character, and/or one with minimal combat skills, to quickly accend to the highest ranks of this famed guild of warriors. Moreover the questline railroads the player, denying them the opportunity to make several key choices. ESF: Companions is a project that aims to improve this situation in several ways.

This first release of the mod adds skill, level, and time requirements for each of the Companions guild's milestone story quests. Specifically, this mod adds the following prerequisites, all of which must be met, to those milestone quests:

Before Your Trial in "Proving Honor" (Quest C01)

- One defensive combat skill--Light or Heavy Armor, or Block--at least 30

- One weapon skill--One-Handed/Two-Handed/Archery--at least 30

- Player level at least 10

- At least 10 radiant quests done since joining (including one for each member of the Circle)

- At least 14 days passed since joining the Companions

Before Being Invited to Join the Circle in "The Silver Hand" (Quest C03)

- One defensive combat skill--Light or Heavy Armor, or Block--at least 50

- One weapon skill--One-Handed/Two-Handed/Archery--at least 50

- Player level at least 20

- At least 20 radiant quests done since "Proving Honor" (including one for each member of the Circle)

- At least 28 days passed since completing "Proving Honor"

Before Kodlak's Request in "Blood's Honor" (Quest C04)

- One defensive combat skill--Light or Heavy Armor, or Block--at least 55

- One weapon skill--One-Handed/Two-Handed/Archery--at least 70

- Player level at least 25

- At least 10 radiant quests done since "The Silver Hand"

- At least 14 days passed since completing "The Silver Hand"

These requirements can be customized through console commands; see the readme file for details.

In progress and not yet part of the mod are several other enhancements to the Companions: new choices and consequences to the milestone quests; new radiant and story quests, both during and after the vanilla questline; and miscellaneous other improvements.

------------------------------------

Found this gem of a mod the other day, makes being a Companion feel more earned. :)

• +1 1

Some of those time and radiant quest requirements are bit long, but I like the idea behind the skill level checks. I slow down leveling about 30% with Community Uncapper and slow down time quite a bit with Dynamic Timescale, so this would actually take me forever to complete.

These requirements can be customized through console commands; see the readme file for details.

See Above. :)

Some of those time and radiant quest requirements are bit long, but I like the idea behind the skill level checks. I slow down leveling about 30% with Community Uncapper and slow down time quite a bit with Dynamic Timescale, so this would actually take me forever to complete.

See Above. :)

Some of those time and radiant quest requirements are bit long but I like the idea behind the skill level checks. I slow down leveling about 30% with Community Uncapper and slow down time quite a bit with Dynamic Timescale, so this would actually take me forever to complete.

Yeah I saw that part and I looked at the readme and saw this:

iRequiredArmorSkillForTrial

iRequiredWeaponSkillForTrial

iRequiredTotalCombatSkillsForTrial

iRequiredLevelForTrial

iRequiredQuestsForTrial

fRequiredDaysForTrial

bRequiredEachForTrial

iRequiredArmorSkillForCircle

iRequiredWeaponSkillForCircle

iRequiredTotalCombatSkillsForCircle

iRequiredLevelForCircle

iRequiredQuestsForCircle

fRequiredDaysForCircle

bRequiredEachForCircle

iRequiredArmorSkillForKodlaksRequest

iRequiredWeaponSkillForKodlaksRequest

iRequiredTotalCombatSkillsForKodlaksRequest

iRequiredLevelForKodlaksRequest

iRequiredQuestsForKodlaksRequest

fRequiredDaysForKodlaksRequest

bRequiredEachForKodlaksRequest

I like customization but that is ridiculous. He needs to add one of those nice spells or books like convienent horses or dance of death.

While the Companions quest line is short, it isn't that different from the other guilds in the game. The Mage's guild has only a few major quests before you are the Archmage. In Oblivion and Morrowind there were more quests for each guild, but only 2-3x more. Uncapper could be used to make increasing the number of quests feasible, but I don't think many players are looking for a very long game. Personally, 10 radiant quests seems like a lot to me between each major guild quest.

The other problem with the Companions is the bugs that Bethesda hasn't fixed. Read the UESP Wiki about the Proving Honor quest. This quest needs to be done while your character is at a fairly low level (<15) because Farkas' skills don't progress properly otherwise (even then they are still bugged).

I like the idea that you have to complete most of the factions radiant quests before you can begin the final stages of the main faction questline.  This means a modder can just add a few extra radiant quests and make the main questline dependent on them and a majority of the vanilla radiant stuff as well and suddenly you have a much more fleshed out experience.

• 3 weeks later...

this mod sounds like a true milestone... going to try... there are multiple implications... the idea of pre-requisites is totally rightfull and could change the simplistic current guild into something decent... or even awesome...really cannot wait to see ingame.

we need more of this kind i think

• 1 month later...

Version 0.2 is out.

• Changed the maximum level of Farkas, Vilkas, and Aela to 81, up from 50. Gave them each a few low- and mid-level perks.
  • Added a custom class for Aela to avoid snafus with the Unofficial Skyrim Patch after it changed her class\'s armor specialty to heavy armor.
  • Changed Aela\'s Ancient Nord Armor and her Shield from Heavy Armor to Light Armor, to match her default skills.
  • Slightly increased Farkas\'s height and weight, to give him a bit more visual personality and distinctiveness from his brother.
  • Gave Farkas some wolf armor, to fit the dialogue during the player\'s Trial.
  • Added a custom class for Farkas to match his skills and gear.
  • Once you join the Circle, the miscellaneous radiant quest objective will now read \"Talk to the other members of the Circle for work.\"
  • In the vanilla game the player must have visited a hold in order to be assigned Companions radiant quests there. Holds are now gradually unlocked over time.
  • Added the dialogue option to decline the \"Rescue Mission\" radiant quest (CR08) given by Skjor and Vilkas.
  • Radiant quests for Vilkas and Skjor will now only become available after you\'ve done a few quests for Farkas and Aela, to match Farkas\'s dialogue during the tour he gives you.
  • Extended the time Aela mourns at the end of the \"Silver Hand\" quest, giving the player a day or two to discuss Skjor with the other Companions.
  • Added the option to block characters who have already joined the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood from joining the Companions.
  • Added some unvoiced dialogue in various places for better roleplaying and atmosphere.
  • If you have done more radiant quests for Aela than any other Companion at the time of your Trial, it will be she rather than Farkas who is sent with you as your Observer during your Trial.
  • Added a radiant animal pelt collection quest to Aela.
  • Added a bat file with all configuration options for easier configuration changes.

• 4 months later...

Thought I would bring this thread back to the forefront as this mod deserves more attention.

The author has updated both the requirements only and full version quite a bit. A MCM configuration menu is implemented in the requirements only version that easily lets you define how many radiant quests before each stage. The full version also make some nice lore-friendly changes and improves options available. I am becoming a big fan of the mod, and am really looking forward to his next full version which he anticipates being released in 3-6 weeks.

I consider this a "must-have" as the original companions requirements were ridiculous. I complete one brawling quest and they immediately offer me the proving honor quest? It moves at an almost comical pace.

On a side note: I am also a big fan of his Enhanced Skyrim Followers: Aela mod, which complements this nicely.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/11450

I am also using this mod, and the Aela companion mod, in the new game I just started. I previously tried Companions Arise, but it was buggy and the author didn't have time to maintain it. Since then this mod has been significantly improved.

• 5 months later...

This is a nice mod. It's been updated recently and the mod author has promised compatibility with Moonlight Tales and Werewolf Mastery (right now somewhat compatible with Moonlight Tales), both mods are a must for Werewolf players in my opinion.

There is also a Requirements-Only version which I think is a better option for STEP. It basically doesn't expand anything in the Companions, but has requirements for advancing in the main questline.

I've been using it too, along with ESF: Aela, both of the werewolf mods and Dreogan's Skyforge related mods. This really is worth it, especially since the author was very nice and incorporated the EBQO-improved objectives into his mod. If you are going to be in the Companions, get all those mods. However, if you don't care about upgrading your Skyforge weapons later on, you can use the new aMidianborn Skyforge weapon retextures (which adds a few new weapons to the Skyforge, as well as a snazzy looking shield).

Not really core STEP material, but would be really good for a Companions overhaul pack.