G.E.C.K. problems

saintbrew

Question

Hello and good day,evening and night, i've been suffering some problems whenever i try to save my moded .esp, i know the file goes to the overwrite folder, but, the file only save my last change on the file, so when i change a door on a vault that i created from a copy cell, in my next save of the .esp, only the door that i put will be saved on the esp, and even not let me save over the file, i even thought it was the fact that the file was on the overwrite folder, but it was not the case, i have him putted on a separeted folder as a mod from archive and the problem persist, so i need some information, i don't know if i doing something wrong cause i could not found anything related to the use of G.E.C.K. on Mod Organizer, well anyway, this is the only problem that i have with Mod Organizer so far, so if anyone know how to solve this issue, i would appreciate.

Edit. So, i discovered what i have done wrong, a really newb fail, i didn't have the Active file on in the mod .esp, so that was the fail, and it's not MO fault (Thank God) anyway, thanks for been considerate with my problems even if was really punny, i will be more careful before creating a topic in the forum, again, sorry and i apologize for the trouble that i did.
Edited by saintbrew

15 answers to this question

Let's see if I can break this down into manageable bits so we can analyse it.

1. You have created/edited a plugin (*.esp) using GECK and after your first edit the file was in the overwrite folder
  2. You have then moved that plugin into its own mod
  3. Later you again edit this mod and only the edits from that session are showing up (not sure about this one, it isn't very clear) Could you clarify this statement: so when i change a door on a vault that i created from a copy cell, in my next save of the .esp, only the door that i put will be saved on the esp
  4. Trying to save this mod, during the subsequent edits, you are refused access and can't save that file

Can you tell us if this is what you are trying to do?

Also please provide details of the installation paths to Fallout, GECK & MO. This is to see if there are any Windows restrictions in place.

Yup all the points that you highlighted are right GrantSP, i having all those issues, so i will put some images that hopefully will help solve this.

https://oi59.tinypic.com/34ig36e.jpg

- Here is my parameters for the diretory of G.E.C.K. and Mod Organizer.

https://oi61.tinypic.com/2pphrgi.jpg

- Then i have created a Vault74.esp and did not activated on the Load order, and this .esp is on the overwrite folder.
https://oi61.tinypic.com/28tj9xi.jpg

- Ok, in this part i have selected the .esp alone, and opened, did some cellcopy and created a simple vhallway, then i try to save as a vault74.esp and say that the same .esp is select or it is a master, i have this part is a little confused to me, so a created a vault74a.esp and saved.

https://oi59.tinypic.com/os7ear.jpg

- at this point i have 2 .esp files in the overwrite folder, so i created a mod folder to allocated the mod (Just a to be clear, i have the vault74.esp on the overwrite remove and renamed the vault74a.esp in other tests, and the problem persisted), then have the vault74a.esp renamed and placed there.

https://oi59.tinypic.com/fx3yte.jpg

- So i opened the file again, and made some changes on the render, add some other parts, and saved the same way, renaming it, but when i opened again this massage shows up, i clicked yes and continued.
https://oi61.tinypic.com/15hk0hz.jpg

- And this is what gave me some rage time, the only part that saved was the curve and the exit of the hallway, the only two things that i changed in the other file.

I really don't know what i did wrong, or is a problem with the way that MO manage the files of G.E.C.K. or i did something really, really wrong when i had saved the file or managed, i do really hope that i wrong in this matter so i can learn something from all this, anyway i hope the images could clarify my problems.

Ps: sorry for my english is a little dull, and my way of manage the forum topics, i still new in this.

Edited by saintbrew

Okay, good something I can see.

Hmm... lots of stuff here but I'm not sure its all MO related. I haven't edited in any the TES Construction Kit for years and never with the GECK, so I'm a little rusty on what is supposed to happen. Someone else may be able to point you in the right direction with that.

If I may make a suggestion. Since the mod list you are working with is only the vanilla anyway, try all these steps again from outside the MO environment, it may be the issues you are facing are not MO related and may be just the GECK environment?

That was my fear, i didn't want to try outside of MO cause i like the Profile system that let me install any mod without messing with the original files, well anyway, i will try modding with a copied fallout 3 main folder and see if it works, and if works i will really be sad.

for all thanks GrantSp, when i finish here i will inform in the same reply to let anyone knows if it worked.

Edited by saintbrew

Shouldn't have to copy the Fallout folder, just start the GECK from the desktop and load your plugin or create a new one just to test the setup.

This is just to eliminate all the variables first so we can start seeing what is and isn't a MO thing and then fix from there.

I just installed GECK from Steam and loaded up MO to test and I can't even get it to initialize properly. Runs fine from the desktop but hangs on the load screen when through MO.

That's not good, if I'm trying to help someone use GECK in MO and I can't get it to work. :O_o:  ::O:

That strange i didn't have this problem, but i have something that MO warn me when i installed G.E.C.K. it tells me to look up in the .Ini file and change some pattern or delete if i not wrong, because sometimes the .INI would not let load some files from the Data, i think, anyway i just a newb in this world of script but i think is worth a shot see if its something with the .INI.

I just tried it with no mods installed, just the vanilla, as you have it and now it loads just fine. Very strange indeed.

I take it you are following the tutorial for GECK, I'll give that a go also and see where we differ in results.

Edited by GrantSP

I'm actually working in FalloutNV, but the process should be the same as Fallout3.

Anyway after setting the vanilla *.esm as active and then saving for the first time this is the result for me.

4137dd6adb.png

My saved plugin was automatically set as the active plugin. What isn't shown in my screenshot is the FalloutNV.esm is also checked whereas your Fallout3.esm isn't used as the master plugin thus setting your plugin as the only one available to make active, but it can't because it is set as master because Fallout3.esm isn't loaded. At least that is what I make from it.

Apparently ENB can screw the GECK up...

That's true of the Construction Set also. You need to remove the d3d9.dll from the root folder or else the render window can't work properly.

A real pain as I may need to set scripts or batch files to do that moving automatically if I plan on doing any major work with either kits.

@saintbrew

Where did you assign that ini tweak reference that the GECK advised in the 'overwrite' folder?

I applied it to the mod I created from the vault74.esp.

Double-click on the new mod in the left-hand pane and on the INI-Files tab right click in the bottom left window and assign it there.

d4a2446226.png

Edited by GrantSP

I'm actually working in FalloutNV, but the process should be the same as Fallout3.

Anyway after setting the vanilla *.esm as active and then saving for the first time this is the result for me.

4137dd6adb.png

My saved plugin was automatically set as the active plugin. What isn't shown in my screenshot is the FalloutNV.esm is also checked whereas your Fallout3.esm isn't used as the master plugin thus setting your plugin as the only one available to make active, but it can't because it is set as master because Fallout3.esm isn't loaded. At least that is what I make from it.

That's true of the Construction Set also. You need to remove the d3d9.dll from the root folder or else the render window can't work properly.

A real pain as I may need to set scripts or batch files to do that moving automatically if I plan on doing any major work with either kits.

As i can see with this, for G.E.C.K. be used, it has to be vanilla clean, without .INI changes, and need to had the modded .esp activated (Pretty obvious) so you can save the modifications, and about the active Fallout3.esm its not activated but marked when i open my .esp file, but,  i don't know if the .esm have to be activated at this point.

Okay, just loaded it up and you need to unselect all the uneeded masters from the list and ONLY double-click the plugin you are working and the master, in my case FalloutNV, in yours Fallout3 and then with the cursor on the plugin, Vault74, click 'Set as Active File'.

This loads Vault74 as the working plugin with the assets from Fallout available to include in it.

This may be important or just a difference with Win8 and Win7 but I have the name of the active plugin shown in the Title bar whereas you just have the name of the application.

Garden of Creation Kit - [Vault74.esp]

compared to

Garden of Creation Kit

Edited by GrantSP

Okay, just loaded it up and you need to unselect all the uneeded masters from the list and ONLY double-click the plugin you are working and the master, in my case FalloutNV, in yours Fallout3 and then with the cursor on the plugin, Vault74, click 'Set as Active File'.

This loads Vault74 as the working plugin with the assets from Fallout available to include in it.

This may be important or just a difference with Win8 and Win7 but I have the name of the active plugin shown in the Title bar whereas you just have the name of the application.

Garden of Creation Kit - [Vault74.esp]

compared to

Garden of Creation Kit

yup that settle about every worry of mine, and about the name, it not seems to be important, it only shows if you had activated the .esp in the start when you opened xD