SMW questions and help

hishutup

Question

I created this template which is very much unfinished because I always wanted to give it a shot and I figured this may be a good time.

I don't know about you but this is very complex and my poor variable naming skills are really shining.

I want what you think. Is there a way to optimize some of the code. There are parts that can be broken off into other templates like the list thing. Now come to think of it, I think it should.

This should for any of the guides that are out there. If there is something specific that you want then I'll add it but right now my brain hurts because of this mess.

I'm not going to rip out code so that the template become more generic because I developed it for myself, I will add though. I can make another one if it desired

Soon to come:

My mod install procedure.

variable header tags.

• Answers 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I did not follow anything but the examples that are already present. The only thing I did is ask DoubleYou, Is it possible and a few question regarding the use of the arraymap thing.

I remember the standards but like I said, it isn't finished and its unlikely anyone but me is going to use it, I may either...

I 100% think that a simple macro is significantly easier, especially when you are using a keyboard that has a lot of buttons like my old Logitech G510 or my newer Razer blackwidow chroma. 
Once you poke around the software, you can do way more by hand.

The only reason I made it is a universal template that is easy to change on large guides. changing one think like padding is going to be a pain on free hand but templates do have that benefit... You can definitely make the same relation with the .css, yes I am still salty about that.

Ess, that is a level that I wil probably have to take part of the code and do that with.

<h5 style="text-decoration:none;">{{#switch: {{{Color}}}
 | green = [[File:Green_Box.png|20px|link=|bottom]] 
 | yellow = [[File:Yellow_Box.png|20px|link=|bottom]] 
 | orange = [[File:Orange_Box.png|20px|link=|bottom]] 
 | red = [[File:Red_Box.png|20px|link=|bottom]] 
 | blue = [[File:Blue_Box.png|20px|link=|bottom]] 
 | tba = (Not Included Yet) 
 |
}}[{{{2}}} {{{1}}}]</h5>
<ul style="list-style-type:circle">
<li><b>Author:</b> {{{3}}}</li>
<li><b>Version:</b> {{{4}}}</li>{{#ifeq: {{{Forumlink|}}} || <li><b>Forum link TBA</b></li> | <li><b>[{{{Forumlink}}} Forum Link]</b></li>}}{{#if: {{{DESC|}}} | <li><b>Description:</b> {{{DESC}}}</li> }}{{#if: {{{Notes|}}} | <li><b>Notes:</b> {{{Notes}}}</li> }}</ul> 

Like that block... Let me figure out how to do it.
Can someone give me a rundown of the some good examples that are not cluttered like the systemspecs.

What sort of pages that I am going to need to create?

I tired out the create form thing and this is what happened.

I have no idea what I am doing...

What is this called and how do I go about rearranging the fields to look like that 646a1b96c3.png

If you want any kind of control for the layout of a Form, you're going to have to edit the Form source by hand. You can use the Create Form special page to at least add all of the fields you want, then edit the source to modify the layout. The biggest issue is allowing for creating multiple entries on a page. It's a bit painful to implement and also hard to maintain.

The initial pack implementation that Farlo did was mirrored from the setup that I did on the Project:Data_Dictionary page. It's pretty cool, but I cringe every time I need to go in and update that monster. Still trying to find a better method.

Even if only you will use it, we have the standard set so that others can follow along and understand how to use any template with confidence that they are all created and documented in a manner that is easy to predict. Consistency is good.

Also, if you are the only person that plans on using it, that will no longer be the case since you did create this thread, which advertizes it somewhat, so expect that others will be interested.

If you want a very basic rundown of how it all works, take a look at all Properties, Templates and Forms associated with Class1 and Class2, which are simple examples that I created when learning for myself how it was all supposed to work. This will be much simpler than trying to understand what s4n developed and all of our production SMW examples.

Go ahead and create any pages you want using these forms, as they are only for mockup and learning purposes (just give your pages names that will not get confused with legit stuff (e.g., https://wiki.step-project.com/HishutupTest1 ... etc.).

s4n, you and farlo deserve a cookie, wiki dev is bloody hard...

I have been adding the the term Oblivion at the beginning to keep it located in one place alphabetically.

Z thank you for that, I'll take a look around. 

If I am going to use a for then I should be breaking the code up so that it can be assembled in one of those floating boxes. Most of the code is going to be easy. The hard stuff is the dynamic lists. Those lists are going to take some thinking in how it is set up.

Setting it up in a controlled environment like the template is easy but when you are handling multiple there is going to a need for a unique variable which will be generated either manually or automatically by the page that it is sitting on.

oh, I am going to borrow the [[Category:HishutupStuff]]  

That is where I can locate everything that I am making because this is confusing and it doesn't seem like it is going to hurt anything

this seems like it is going to take awhile to learn... *sigh* I hope its worth it in someway.

Yes, do create your own Category. Or you can use whatever Categories are associated with the examples above ... without looking, my guess is "Category1" and "Category2" are safe bets ;)

Also, have you begun digging into the documentation at SMW? If not, you should read up on all of that, but particularly SMW base and SMW Forms. You can find the links to relevant doc in Special:Version

I asked this I guess when you were typing. 

What is the purpose of classes?

I have looked around the site quite a bit. The problem with the wiki on SMW is a lot of the functions are described in words which I am terrible at when it comes to understanding. Examples are the best because it show how things are linked.

If any one cares here is the cat.

EDIT: Full mental block on the form creation... Maybe tomorrow

There are no classes as one might equate to programming languages. It's just their term for attempting to create everything at once based the semantic properties you define. This includes the properties themselves, templates, and forms.

It's not the ideal way to create an SMW structure, as it can lead to a lot of manual cleanup, especially if you are first learning about SMW as you will go through several revisions.

Actually, creating the "Semantic Class" using the Special Page is instructive and 'correct' for creating a basic SMW structure associating, say, Authors/books or composers/music and the like (including publisher info, locations, and other relevant metadata); however, as s4n said, there are more sophisticated ways to go about it ... it is important to remember that he built our structure somewhat outside of the 'box', and our implementation is not typical or simple and arguably deviates somewhat from the intended use of SMW.

Take my advice and learn the intended methodology using the tools SMW provides out of the box. This is very instructive in teaching the basics through example.

... BTW, Form:Classx probably should have been renamed to Form:Formx for clarity and consistency. Changing an SMW structure after the fact IS challenging (and that is one of the lessons you will learn by going through the exercise using the built-in tools and related methods).

... BTW, Form:Classx probably should have been renamed to Form:Formx for clarity and consistency. Changing an SMW structure after the fact IS challenging (and that is one of the lessons you will learn by going through the exercise using the built-in tools and related methods).

Yes, I was looking at that and couldn't figure out why it was a template.

Okay... I took a look at a class and it seems utterly useless other than create a bunch of properties at the same time.

I created all the pages just as easy but w/e

The Image I  posted above, what is that floating mod block called?

What is the style called and where can I see an example of it?

The pack system is really large and its hard to navigate.

How do I make the forum create a page outside of the main area?

Can you delete this and this.

Can I get the perms to delete pages?

Yes, I was looking at that and couldn't figure out why it was a template.

Okay... I took a look at a class and it seems utterly useless other than create a bunch of properties at the same time.

I created all the pages just as easy but w/e

The Image I  posted above, what is that floating mod block called?

What is the style called and where can I see an example of it?

The pack system is really large and its hard to navigate.

How do I make the forum create a page outside of the main area?

Can you delete this and this.

Can I get the perms to delete pages?

Class# are templates because they are dependent upon the Form with same name, so actually calling then Form# would also have been confusing, so Class# is actually more generic and appropriate. Forms and associated Templates need not use the same nomenclature, but it is good practice to do so, because it provides a visual association.

I actually like the "Create a Class" tool, because it does create the Property pages and formats for you, which is much simpler than doing the same by navigation. It works nicely for setting up a basic SMW 'class' structure. What it does not do is format the Form nicely or give you other SMW structures that you may need, and you would still need to go in and edit everything to your liking ... good for initial creation if you know exactly what you want and it is simple.

What image? You can look at the HTML element names by hitting Ctrl+Shift+i in your web browser to bring up Inspector (Chrome and Firefox), or you can use Stylish plugin for Firefox.

What about forum pages? I though we were discussing wiki pages?

You are not ready for deletion rights until you have a good understanding of how our current relationships work ... only s4n and I and Farlo can do that.

the Yellow and green text: I was poking around and it edited other pages then I realized its use. It does most of the framework, which is okay, just not spectacular.

This image, it was higher up than I thought.

646a1b96c3.png

This is from the edit with form on this page. That is the floating element.

What is that called?

Where can I find that inside the massive pack system?

I gotten used to typing forum that form sound similar.

Just let it be know that 90% of the time I am going to mean form in this topic.

Yes, we are talking about wiki pages.

Well, okay then 

What yellow and green text??? I have no clue as to the context.

If you go into edit any page on the wiki, it will link to any template pages used by that page (see bottom of the edit page). This way you can navigate to the pages that describe the elements of interest.

Could you stop using https://puu.sh for hosting images? That site is blacklisted by many anti-maleware services that provide hosts file. Many using a configured hosts file will never see your images. Use Dropbox, or any number of other 'safer' services for that. Doesn't Puush offer this domain name instead?

Also, please stop using your mobile for any serious posting. The typos and autocorrections are very obvious, and many of your posts are difficult to follow because of that. Alternatively, be very careful and dilligent when posting from your mobile ... no convenience posting please ... it is inconvenient for everyone else and should be addressed within our Citizenship guide ... grrr (will add NOW)