STEP v2.2.0 Official Bug Reports Thread

Farlo

BUG REPORTS ONLY PLEASE!

Feel free to report any guide or game bug (related potentially to mods). Those issues will be fixed, if possible, in the next STEP update.

Known Issues/Working Changelog

Guide
  • INI tweaks won't retain their line-breaks when being copied. 
  • Change Log - Unecessary colon at the end of "Revised mod list order:".
  • Table borders "leak" and don't look quite right.  This is something to do with Word 2013's PDF export.
  • 1.B.1 - Step 7: "Important"
  • 1.C.4.1 - "Wrye Bash"
  • Update BOSS link to official site.
  • 3.A.4
  • "SSDs" link now points directly at Wikipedia.
  • "Auglogics Disk Defrag" now points to the product's description, not the download button.
Mods

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Message from joshezzell:

TheCompiler, I was just noticing when installing 2.2 that you still include 'Better Bedrolls'. When I installed it wanted to over write the bedroll texture already installed by the Texture Pack Combiner. The texture included with the combiner is much higher quality (Better Bedrolls is pixelated and blurry, TPC is nice and crisp) Also, HQ Eyebrows (made by the guy who made HQ Beards) has an optional file that does the same thing as closer match eyebrows suggested by STEP (but higher quality). So, maybe these can be included in the STEP Guide with the next hotfix.

Message from joshezzell:

TheCompiler, I was just noticing when installing 2.2 that you still include 'Better Bedrolls'. When I installed it wanted to over write the bedroll texture already installed by the Texture Pack Combiner. The texture included with the combiner is much higher quality (Better Bedrolls is pixelated and blurry, TPC is nice and crisp) Also, HQ Eyebrows (made by the guy who made HQ Beards) has an optional file that does the same thing as closer match eyebrows suggested by STEP (but higher quality). So, maybe these can be included in the STEP Guide with the next hotfix.

Better Bedrolls Comparison

I believe TPC wins.

Just doing an eyeball inspection I'm thinking HQ Eyebrows is better than Eyebrows Match Hair also. I'll upload screens when I have a character I'm not afraid to show... (didn't care about appearance when making tester character).

Howdy, I'm obviously new to the STEP community. Anyways I just thought it might be beneficial to point out a few things.

iMaxAnisotropy=1

NVIDIA users ONLY! Improves Anisotropic Filter quality if you force AF from your NVIDIA card. If you are not going to force AF from the video card (see 1.E.1. NVIDIA Users), do not use this tweak, and leave it to 16!

You recommend ENB, but on the https://enbdev.com/doc_skyrim_en.htm web site, he recommends to not force AA from the driver. This is confusing for me because I don't know whether AA is taken care of with ENB(through SMAA?) or through the launcher video settings. For instance Project ENB and Ehanced Vanilla ENB don't have smaa.dll but Countervibe does. And also TweakGuide is recommending AAx4 or 8.

On a different matter you talk about:

iShadowMapResolution=4096

Together with setting shadow quality set to High in Step-1, this tweak will improve shadows resolution at a huge performance cost. Shadow quality on Ultra already sets this to 4096.

On my machine, if I set shadows to Ultra(4096), my FPS plummet on zoning out of an interior cell randomly. I can correct it by alt-tabbing out and back in or avoid it altogether by setting shadows to "High". At first I thought I had tried to pushed my system too far, until I sharted using fraps and discovered the pattern. I may be missing some fix I haven't been able to find and if I am please let me know what it is. I just thought it might be worth mentioning(it's a known issue btw).

I have a couple of suggestions as well and they are worth what you paid for them ;)

You might consider having a logo for a good housekeeping seal of approval that modders might add, it would benefit both parties I believe.

And since Wrye Bash seems likely to become more of requirement in the not so distant future, having a bcf repository might be a good idea.

I'm really tired and hope I haven't come off too dry or critical. I appreciate all the effort you have gone to and look forward to installing the recommended mods. If I find anything else I'll try to report it along with a possible solution.

Howdy, I'm obviously new to the STEP community. Anyways I just thought it might be beneficial to point out a few things.

iMaxAnisotropy=1

NVIDIA users ONLY! Improves Anisotropic Filter quality if you force AF from your NVIDIA card. If you are not going to force AF from the video card (see 1.E.1. NVIDIA Users), do not use this tweak, and leave it to 16!

You recommend ENB, but on the https://enbdev.com/doc_skyrim_en.htm web site, he recommends to not force AA from the driver. This is confusing for me because I don't know whether AA is taken care of with ENB(through SMAA?) or through the launcher video settings. For instance Project ENB and Ehanced Vanilla ENB don't have smaa.dll but Countervibe does. And also TweakGuide is recommending AAx4 or 8.

Together with setting shadow quality set to High in Step-1, this tweak will improve shadows resolution at a huge performance cost. Shadow quality on Ultra already sets this to 4096.

On my machine, if I set shadows to Ultra(4096), my FPS plummet on zoning out of an interior cell randomly. I can correct it by alt-tabbing out and back in or avoid it altogether by setting shadows to "High". At first I thought I had tried to pushed my system too far, until I sharted using fraps and discovered the pattern. I may be missing some fix I haven't been able to find and if I am please let me know what it is. I just thought it might be worth mentioning(it's a known issue btw).

I have a couple of suggestions as well and they are worth what you paid for them ;)

You might consider having a logo for a good housekeeping seal of approval that modders might add, it would benefit both parties I believe.

And since Wrye Bash seems likely to become more of requirement in the not so distant future, having a bcf repository might be a good idea.

I'm really tired and hope I haven't come off too dry or critical. I appreciate all the effort you have gone to and look forward to installing the recommended mods. If I find anything else I'll try to report it along with a possible solution.

1. iMaxAnisotropy=1 is for Anistropic Filtering (AF) not Anti Aliasing (AA).  Also, if there is no SMAA.dll then that ENB does not provide SMAA support out of the box. It's that simple.

2. iShadowMapResolution=4096 does impact performance but has a noticeable image quality boost. It states that in the quote you provided. If it's too much for your PC, simply don't use it. STEP is a guide, not the bible. :)

As for Wrye Bash, bash patches will likely become the norm soon, yes. There are still other good options out there to manage your mods though such as Mod Organizer (which I'm currently using) which can run Wrye Bash and generate a patch. I do believe we have a BCF repository, and if it's not already linked it probably should be.

Thanks for taking the time to come and post and hope this clears any confusion you might have.

iMaxAnisotropy=1

Good catch, it is a mistake, that information is way out of date and should have been updated to use the SMAA Injector with ENB instead.

As for the shadowmap 2048 is just fine.  I've posted that same alt tab fix many times, its actually a memory leak in the skyrim engine.

BCF's will soon be unnecessary we have a much more flexible project (Thunderbolt) in the works.  We will be using the wizards for Wrye bash and its patcher in the future though, in tandem with Thunderbolt.

Good idea about the logo, I kind of toyed with that idea many months ago, but we weren't really at a point to start up something like that yet, now we probably are.  In fact we have a small logo from the wiki that would work beautifully,  only problem is we can't revoke it once we give someone permissions to use it so it could cause problems as STEP regularly dumps mods as our requirements change (mostly become more demanding).

@Neovalen: Thanks so much for the quick response :) You're right, I did confuse the AF with AA in the ini file :(. After looking at the post I wrote, it's a wonder anybody could make any sense of it. Sleep does AMAZING things ;). What I failed to communicate properly was, The S.T.E.P. documentation seems geared towards people in a broad range of experience with mod installation. And for those with less experience, there are 3 ways to set the AA settings: driver, launcher and enb. I was having some difficulty figuring out which one was recommended. I just wanted to convey that because I believed it to be helpful information.

@frihyland: Psychic and insightful...impressive. Again thanks for the quick response. You understood what I was trying to say even though I said it poorly. And yeah, I forgot the golden rule of the internet, "Once it's on the net, it's there forever".

@thalastwon: Thanks, I hadn't seen that before, I will try that out. I've been having issues with shadows.

@Besidilo: Thanks for the quick response. :)

Thanks so much for your work and dedication. I previously had over 400 mods on Oblivion including a FCOM install, so I understand the monumental amount of effort that has gone into this endeavor. Thanks again. :)

Pressing Q doesnt bring Categorized or Vanilla Favorites menu for me :( 

Check your key bindings, or even reset them to make sure that's not it.  If you still can't, deactivate Categoriezed Favorites Menu and CFM-Oni Edition in your mod manager and try again.

Pressing Q doesnt bring Categorized or Vanilla Favorites menu for me :(

Check your key bindings, or even reset them to make sure that's not it.  If you still can't, deactivate Categoriezed Favorites Menu and CFM-Oni Edition in your mod manager and try again.
Reinstalling the mod did the trick. Thanks a bunch :D