STEP v2.2.0 Official Bug Reports Thread

Farlo

Please forgive the noob misposting mistakes. I'll tune into those sections and read up.Although being a newbie modder' date=' I would much rather install everything manually. This takes a great deal more time but it's a sure fire way to make sure everything installed correctly. I tried NMM and it was having issues installing some mods. Bash would be perfect if they added mod tracking for updates. Thanks again for reading though![/quote']

As a new modder, I recommend that you install one or two simple mods by hand to get an idea of what goes where, overwrites, etc ... then abandon that method altogether and learn how to install STEP using Wrye Bash by visiting our Wrye Bash wiki guide. This provides a simple (albeit tedious) step-by-step walkthrough with plenty of detail and examples. Be certain to note the pre-installation setup tab to learn the best way to install Steam, Skyrim and the supporting utilities.

The problem with manual installation is that you really cannot undo what has been done without making a bunch of mistakes and ultimately breaking your game and forcing yourself to delete all but the base, big Skyrim files and performing a Steam validation of your Skyrim install (details in the Guide). Wrye Bash on the other hand provides tools that let you see exactly what is being installed, where and how and allows complete and clean removal of mods in a predefined sequence orchestrated by you.

Save yourself a thousand hours of slow going and learn this stuff up front. Judging by your writing ability and breadth in the post above, you have the aptitude to succeed in getting it right out of the gate. Stick around, learn a few things, and we will welcome your contributions to the forums and the wiki ... but more on that later.

Good luck :thumbsup:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a new modder' date=' I recommend that you install one or two simple mods by hand to get an idea of what goes where, overwrites, etc ... then abandon that method altogether and learn how to install STEP using Wrye Bash by visiting our Wrye Bash wiki guide. This provides a simple (albeit tedious) step-by-step walkthrough with plenty of detail and examples. Be certain to note the pre-installation setup tab to learn the best way to install Steam, Skyrim and the supporting utilities.

The problem with manual installation is that you really cannot undo what has been done without making a bunch of mistakes and ultimately breaking your game and forcing yourself to delete all but the base, big Skyrim files and performing a Steam validation of your Skyrim install (details in the Guide). Wrye Bash on the other hand provides tools that let you see exactly what is being installed, where and how and allows complete and clean removal of mods in a predefined sequence orchestrated by you.

Save yourself a thousand hours of slow going and learn this stuff up front. Judging by your writing ability and breadth in the post above, you have the aptitude to succeed in getting it right out of the gate. Stick around, learn a few things, and we will welcome your contributions to the forums and the wiki ... but more on that later.

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely look into that! Also, thank you for the comment and you'd be correct. I may be new to modding but I'm a fast learner and have a background in IT. The manual install is child's play (not to sound cocky); basically boiled down it's just copying, pasting, activating and ordering. The first couple times it took me several hours to complete STEP. The last time it took all of 20-30mins with manual installing.

I'm sure that Wrye Bash would cut this down to minutes once I get it set up; however, I'm curious if WB cleans your saves? I know from reading that saving with mods installed and then removing those mods can cause issues without cleaning your saves. Even then it could be end-game for those saves without those mods in place. Does Wrye Bash help in this area?

As a new modder' date=' I recommend that you install one or two simple mods by hand to get an idea of what goes where, overwrites, etc ... then abandon that method altogether and learn how to install STEP using Wrye Bash by visiting our Wrye Bash wiki guide. This provides a simple (albeit tedious) step-by-step walkthrough with plenty of detail and examples. Be certain to note the pre-installation setup tab to learn the best way to install Steam, Skyrim and the supporting utilities.

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely look into that! Also, thank you for the comment and you'd be correct. I may be new to modding but I'm a fast learner and have a background in IT. The manual install is child's play (not to sound cocky); basically boiled down it's just copying, pasting, activating and ordering. The first couple times it took me several hours to complete STEP. The last time it took all of 20-30mins with manual installing.

I'm sure that Wrye Bash would cut this down to minutes once I get it set up; however, I'm curious if WB cleans your saves? I know from reading that saving with mods installed and then removing those mods can cause issues without cleaning your saves. Even then it could be end-game for those saves without those mods in place. Does Wrye Bash help in this area?

WB won't clean your saves at this point, but it is a potential feature enhancement.

The single most important feature of Wrye Bash (IMO, contrary to popular belief) is not the Bash plugin-management & patching facility, but rather the BAIN installer facility. The former is definitely important and unique to Wrye Bash; however, WB's ability to expose conflicts based on package installation order before as well as after any mods are installed --and to update those conflicts dynamically, based on changes to the installation order-- are representative of the true power of WB at vastly simplifying the installation and uninstallation of mods at any granularity.

Definitely stop using the manual installation method, as you stand to gain much more insight by interpreting the information that Wrye Bash exposes during the installation process.

Here are some Bugs i found while modding/playing:

To be honest I´m really new to modding, so a few bugs could be bay myself .

This Thread is a bit more detailed: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1200

Here are some Bugs i found while modding/playing:

Guide:Page 2-4 are named in the right bottom corner as 'Changelog' although being Information/Table of Content

In the changes for v2.2.0b.

The link in the welcome message of the forum is not working

Fix'd.

You sometimes hit a target standing at your side without seeing it' date=' or even through solid targets (pillars...)[/quote']

Never seen that o.0

This might be from Burn' date=' Freeze, and Shock Effects, Cinematic Fire Effect, or Deadly Spell Impacts make sure they're installed properly and in the right order (the order I listed them).

Looks like it's just a texture glitch, stuff happens :P  If it's anything more it'd stem from Enhanced Blood Textures I believe.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=111571965 there is a blue shade on the horse.

Did you DDSopt your textures?  If not it's probably an issue with Bellyache's Creature Pack.  Unfortunately TPC is a little out of date (although I don't think Bellyache's has been updated recently) so I'd say just install it as a normal mod and see if that fixes it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=111588414 Are this map mods overlapping each other?

You should only be using HQ Skyrim Map from TPC.  Throw it on top and see if that fixes it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=111589243 This is a guard after being burned by a dragon.

Same as the "the burned texture" image above.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=111589572 I think these red stars shouldn´t be there.

Not sure how that's happening.  Neither Milky Way Galaxy nor Enhanced Night Skyrim have a "red stars" option.

Yeah' date=' that happens, try shouting at it :P

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111748547 same as above

To be honest I´m really new to modding, so a few bugs could be bay myself .

I've seen it happen occasionally.  You can usually force them out of the chair by using it and they'll re-adjust.

Thank you for another fast and detailed response!

I didn´t install Burn, Freeze, and Shock Effects because in the guide it is not recommended for its structural errors. The other two i installed in the right order.

I think i didn´t DDsaopt my textures, probably its just a problem with my graphics card.

I installed everything as recommended and i think the problem is another mod included military maps too in a release after STEP 2.2.0a but along with other maps so they don´t overwrite each other but overlap ingame.

Is there any way to track the temperature of the graphic card back, because sometimes the screen gests black, reports that no connection is available but after a few seconds i am able to strg-alt-entf the game and restart it, may that be because my graphics card overheated or something?

Edit: I see the problem with red stars has solved itself after reinstalling it!

I didn´t install Burn, Freeze, and Shock Effects because in the guide it is not recommended for its structural errors. The other two i installed in the right order.

I think i didn´t DDsaopt my textures, probably its just a problem with my graphics card.

I installed everything as recommended and i think the problem is another mod included military maps too in a release after STEP 2.2.0a but along with other maps so they don´t overwrite each other but overlap ingame.

Is there any way to track the temperature of the graphic card back, because sometimes the screen gests black, reports that no connection is available but after a few seconds i am able to strg-alt-entf the game and restart it, may that be because my graphics card overheated or something?

Unless the Military Maps mod adds another texture to the object they won't overlap.  Each object only uses one texture and mesh file specified by the file name, so there's no way for two competing textures to "overlap" unless there's an ESP involved.  If you're using MO or WB (otherwise this will break your installation) then I'd suggest disabling everything besides STEP and see if any of the issues are resolved.

Usually if your graphics card overheats you'll start getting artifacts on the screen or a complete crash accompanied with a Windows message saying that your card has recovered from an error or just a complete system halt altogether. As long as your card isn't overclocked, is dust free, the fan is working properly, and the air has a good flow to escape your system then your card shouldn't be overheating. You can monitor the temps with third party tools that are easily found if Googled. If it's an nVidia card use nVidia Inspector.

Besides Skyrim & Step i just use Dawnguard, Hearthfire & the unofficial Hearthfire Patch, vanilla skyrim.7z and sky bash

If you're you're using Dawnguard, then you should probably be using the Dawnguard Unofficial Patch as well. Skyrim Unofficial patch should also be used, tho I think that's a part of STEP. Make sure any additional mods you use are compatible with Dawnguard and Hearthfire as well. If they're not, then those mods could cause issues in certain areas of the game. Also, use BOSS if you're not and make sure your load order is correct.

Like Farlo suggested, if you're not having any issues with just the completed STEP (no additional mods installed), then uninstall or deactivate anything that is not a part of STEP. Then test the additional mods one-by-one to find the specific mod that may be causing any issues.

I think just about everyone here uses additional mods that aren't in STEP. Personally, I use around ten additional mods (most against STEP like Lockpick Pro...don't judge me! :rolleyes: ) but none conflict and cause any issues because I've done the testing.

You can monitor the temps with third party tools that are easily found if Googled. If it's an nVidia card use nVidia Inspector.

Oops' date=' forgot to to reply to this.  Any of the various overclocking programs can monitor/log/graph your tempuratures.  Personally I'd recommend MSI Afterburner but if you want something a little less intrusive there's always HW Monitor.

I think just about everyone here uses additional mods that aren't in STEP. Personally' date=' I use around ten additional mods (most against STEP like Lockpick Pro...don't judge me! :rolleyes: ) but none conflict and cause any issues because I've done the testing.[/quote']

Cheater!

Usually if your graphics card overheats you'll start getting artifacts on the screen or a complete crash accompanied with a Windows message saying that your card has recovered from an error or just a complete system halt altogether. As long as your card isn't overclocked, is dust free, the fan is working properly, and the air has a good flow to escape your system then your card shouldn't be overheating. You can monitor the temps with third party tools that are easily found if Googled. If it's an nVidia card use nVidia Inspector.

Besides Skyrim & Step i just use Dawnguard, Hearthfire & the unofficial Hearthfire Patch, vanilla skyrim.7z and sky bash

If you're you're using Dawnguard, then you should probably be using the Dawnguard Unofficial Patch as well. Skyrim Unofficial patch should also be used, tho I think that's a part of STEP. Make sure any additional mods you use are compatible with Dawnguard and Hearthfire as well. If they're not, then those mods could cause issues in certain areas of the game. Also, use BOSS if you're not and make sure your load order is correct.

Like Farlo suggested, if you're not having any issues with just the completed STEP (no additional mods installed), then uninstall or deactivate anything that is not a part of STEP. Then test the additional mods one-by-one to find the specific mod that may be causing any issues.

I think just about everyone here uses additional mods that aren't in STEP. Personally, I use around ten additional mods (most against STEP like Lockpick Pro...don't judge me! :rolleyes: ) but none conflict and cause any issues because I've done the testing.

Yeah, there is always a message that my graphics card restarted after a crah or something....

Is this very bad?

Of course i use the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, but it is included in the guide so i did´t mention it, mentioning dawnguard was a bit confusing, sorry.

Yeah, there is always a message that my graphics card restarted after a crah or something....

Is this very bad?

Of course i use the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, but it is included in the guide so i did´t mention it, mentioning dawnguard was a bit confusing, sorry.

You have a hardware or a driver issue. STEP/Skyrim is not causing this.

Download the latest drivers for your card and uninstall all of your Nvidia/ATI software (you can use TwL Cleaner or Revo). Restart and reinstall the updated drivers and see if that fixes.

Otherwise, remove the card from your mobo (and hit it with an air sprayer while you are in there) and re-seat it into the slot.

last resorts are to update your BIOS, reinstall Windows and get a new card (recommend in that order ;) )

Cheater!

*hides*

What? Nothing, nothing :whistling:

Hey, when you've played through the game a couple of times lockpicking just becomes one of those things you don't want to spend time on! lol! Lockpicking makes me feel like this: :wallbash:  Lockpick Pro makes me feel like this: :pirate: