Skyrim Installation Guide

• 1 month later...

Hi

New here so hope this is the right place to post.  The link on https://wiki.step-project.com/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Guide%3ASTEP+Community+Citizenship this page is broken (404 error).

The reason I'm posting is to let you know that your page on reverting Skyrim back to vanilla needs to be updated.  https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

1. The .esp & .bsa files for the 3rd high quality texture pack need to be mentioned;

2. My vanilla install didn't have a reslists folder; (what is this, by the way...?)

Also, it might be useful to post a supplementary guide to reverting a Skyrim + CK install to vanilla.  Although it only takes a few minutes to download and install the CK so no biggie...

Thanks

Well, that's one link I can't edit (that I know of)!

You're probably right that guide needs updated. I remember looking at it and thinking it was outdated. I typically tell users to delete all the folders and every loose file in data except the official BSA+ESM files, and allow Verify Cache to fix the rest.

Hiya Frihyland,

I may well be, being sense but the ink you posted says 'ancillary guide' to the official guide. Confused. There aren't (that I can see) any links to the 'official guide'...

I have a clean install - what path/guide do you suggest I follow?

Thank you in advance!

@frihyland being dense! Lol!

@frihyland being dense! Lol!

• 3 months later...

Is the Nvidia tweak guide (listed under configuration) still worth applying. It seems more informative than just telling what the best setting is so it will probably retain some educational value but it is 3+ years old. Wondering if the settings they suggest are worth applying or if it's now out dated?

The information is still relevant. I'm planning to go through and update it soon. The Guide is meant to be more informative as to allow users to choose the best settings for their systems. It would be impossible to cover all systems since video cards vary in the settings that are available and not to mention all cards are not created equal. Therefore, the Guide will simply remain a repository of information to inform the user. The user can test and choose the best settings for their set up.

Reference the Recommendation for SKSE and switching on Sheson's fix : https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Installation#SKSE_.28Skyrim_Script_Extender.29

: Highly Recommended : this will enable the memory fix (Sheson's memory patch) which provides a more stable game.

Changed to read ..

: Highly Recommended for 64bit OS : this will enable the memory fix (Sheson's memory patch) which provides a more stable game.

Reference Sheson's original documentation https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2729

Will this help your ILS, CTD or freezing?

You have a 64bit OS and lots of main memory.

Requirements

64bit OS - 32bit may work but untested, probably should use /userva switch, but if you are that desperate good luck
a decent amount of RAM - more than 4GB
a suitable graphics card with decent amount of VRAM - depending on texture sizes
ENBoost - need to free up main memory

Personally I do not have a need for SKSE being installed, so I use SSME instead .. But I do know from using that on three machines in my house, that the fix only works well on the family desktop, and my eldests laptop ( they are both win 7 x64 )

My own laptop which is win 7 32bit starts to experience lag and occasional CTD if I use the fix on that machine ( tried it once for a few weeks .. Went back to using just ENBoost on that machine, which helps give a few more fps in places ).

Edited by alt3rn1ty

I think that it is a soft requirement rather than a hard one. I don't see how 256MB would break the bank. That being said, I don't know anyone that isn't running a 64bit OS anymore or anyone that has less than 8GB or RAM.

Just going by Shesons advice as quoted, and my own experience with a 32 bit OS on one of my machines.

The guides here are going to be read by everyone, not just people with 64bit.

Now you know one person more who does still have 32bit :). One of my mods attracts a lot more people with old setups I can vouch for too. They are out there still using 32 bit even if they are not in your circle of gamers. Probably on average gamers are more likely to have adopted 64bit quicker than any others. I have no figures ..

Do we need figures to validate the need for the change to the wording ?,

Say less than 10% of users not using 64bit we dont care about ?

Is Shesons advice in doubt ?