Skyrim Installation Guide

Personally I find it easier to use BOSS with 296 than it is to use BOSS+BUM with 295.5 though, and only using BOSS doesn't work with 295.5 ;) Anyway ofcourse the bashed patch functionality isn't needed for a pure STEP-install, but I also think it will end up really annoying for the people working on WB currently if people here are encouraged to use 295.5, as that will lead to more questions in the WB thread that they wouldn't need to ask if they simply used the latest version. Only reason 296 is still SVN and not on Nexus is because none of the people with access to the nexus-site for WB is currently active (moving etc), it is considered the stable version.

Anyway it's not my call obviously, but that's my 2cp!

I vote that we recommend only one version and that it ultimately be the SVN; however, I also vote to hold off generating questions about this until we can do it in an orderly manner and syncing up all the doc.

Further, I vote that mention of the SVN version in the SIG should be veiled until we can properly articulate with the WB guide. Right now there is disparity between the two, and it makes sense that WB installation instructions be in the WBG rather than the SIG.

Most importantly, the Bashed Patch and mods-tab functionality is NOT REQUIRED for STEP, so it seems really unnecessary that we would be hell bent on rushing this out hastily.

I think the priority should be to assist the less experienced with simply getting STEP installed and simpler to troubleshoot. That means BAIN functionality, BOSS, BUM and nothing more. The more advanced modders can struggle a bit and figure out the SVN in the meantime themselves.

Just my opinions :D

I will be offline until tomorrow evening, then I need to wrap up my DDSopt findings on those damn trees, so I can continue with my installation of STEP 2.1 ... THEN I can edit the WBG as I do this. After this, I will work on WB installation instructions in a deliberative manner and in detail with consideration to the SIG.

For this interim period while development is at a standstill, recommending the SVN is a logical thing to do. Though I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a permanent part of the guide (assuming that development eventually continues).

The main advantage that the Standalone version has is that the python interpreter is bundled in the exe so you don't need any extra software installed. If a user uninstalls the python version of Wrye Bash, it doesn't ask if you want to uninstall Python and the supplemental packages as well. If the user wanted everything gone, it's not a complete clean uninstall, so that would be a useful note to put in the guide as well.

Personally I find it easier to use BOSS with 296 than it is to use BOSS+BUM with 295.5 though, and only using BOSS doesn't work with 295.5 ;) Anyway ofcourse the bashed patch functionality isn't needed for a pure STEP-install, but I also think it will end up really annoying for the people working on WB currently if people here are encouraged to use 295.5, as that will lead to more questions in the WB thread that they wouldn't need to ask if they simply used the latest version. Only reason 296 is still SVN and not on Nexus is because none of the people with access to the nexus-site for WB is currently active (moving etc), it is considered the stable version.

Are the devs telling everyone to download the SVN?? Is 295.5 not still up on the Nexus?

They are only supporting 295.5 right now. Otherwise they would release the SVN as a 296 Beta ;)

EDIT: Still waiting for Monty and Beald to chime in on this topic, as I suspect our brethren across the pond may be inclined toward deliberation and consistency ...

Are the devs telling everyone to download the SVN?? Is 295.5 not still up on the Nexus?

They are only supporting 295.5 right now. Otherwise they would release the SVN as a 296 Beta ;)

EDIT: Still waiting for Monty and Beald to chime in on this topic, as I suspect our brethren across the pond may be inclined toward deliberation and consistency ...

They are telling everyone to download 296 yes. They also tell everyone that they don't supply support for 295.5. And as I said about Nexus, the people that are currently actively working on fixing WB don't have access to upload 296 to Nexus, it's been discussed quite a bit in the WB threads on Beth forums. :)

Personally I find it easier to use BOSS with 296 than it is to use BOSS+BUM with 295.5 though, and only using BOSS doesn't work with 295.5 ;) Anyway ofcourse the bashed patch functionality isn't needed for a pure STEP-install, but I also think it will end up really annoying for the people working on WB currently if people here are encouraged to use 295.5, as that will lead to more questions in the WB thread that they wouldn't need to ask if they simply used the latest version. Only reason 296 is still SVN and not on Nexus is because none of the people with access to the nexus-site for WB is currently active (moving etc), it is considered the stable version.Anyway it's not my call obviously, but that's my 2cp!

Are the devs telling everyone to download the SVN?? Is 295.5 not still up on the Nexus?They are only supporting 295.5 right now. Otherwise they would release the SVN as a 296 Beta ;)

Personally I switched over to the Python build (I may well be using Python for other things too ;) ) and installed 296. I've had no issues so far and it was a very easy automatic installation. I don't think it would be too much trouble to recommend that and switch back once evrything gets sorted with Nexus. Those who install the Python version in the mean time can stick with that afterwards, no reason to change - but do mention the seperate Python UNinstall issue.

Added a SVN install section to z92's WB wiki guide. It is under the discussion edit page, and as such is not visible yet in the guide. Ive kept z92s format as much as possible, and still need to add a few pictures and do spelling/ grammar checking. But in principle its done. The install steps should be 100% correct, as it is compiled using the instructions from various posts on the WB thread on nexus and bethesda forums from the WB team. So if anybody could quickly check it out and let me known if i have made any major mistakes that would be great :)

Personally I find it easier to use BOSS with 296 than it is to use BOSS+BUM with 295.5 though, and only using BOSS doesn't work with 295.5 ;) Anyway ofcourse the bashed patch functionality isn't needed for a pure STEP-install, but I also think it will end up really annoying for the people working on WB currently if people here are encouraged to use 295.5, as that will lead to more questions in the WB thread that they wouldn't need to ask if they simply used the latest version. Only reason 296 is still SVN and not on Nexus is because none of the people with access to the nexus-site for WB is currently active (moving etc), it is considered the stable version.Anyway it's not my call obviously, but that's my 2cp!

Are the devs telling everyone to download the SVN?? Is 295.5 not still up on the Nexus?They are only supporting 295.5 right now. Otherwise they would release the SVN as a 296 Beta ;)

They are telling everyone to download 296 yes. They also tell everyone that they don't supply support for 295.5. And as I said about Nexus, the people that are currently actively working on fixing WB don't have access to upload 296 to Nexus, it's been discussed quite a bit in the WB threads on Beth forums. :)

:doh!: Wasn't aware at all (too busy to browse other forums!!). This is bad! What a mass of confusion ... Seems like they need a project manager over there :rolleyes:

OK, I suppose then that the real question is: do we want to follow the WB-team lead (which is altogether confusing) or forge our own way more deliberatively in the interest of getting novice users successfully set up with STEP and properly maintaining it.

Won't it be simpler for these users to graduate to the SVN/Python methodology once they get their feet wet rather than throwing them into the deep end?

Added a SVN install section to z92's WB wiki guide. It is under the discussion edit page, and as such is not visible yet in the guide. Ive kept z92s format as much as possible, and still need to add a few pictures and do spelling/ grammar checking. But in principle its done. The install steps should be 100% correct, as it is compiled using the instructions from various posts on the WB thread on nexus and bethesda forums from the WB team. So if anybody could quickly check it out and let me known if i have made any major mistakes that would be great :)

Well done MW, thanks! (still haven't looked, but I am certain it is good ;) )

:doh!: Wasn't aware at all (too busy to browse other forums!!). This is bad! What a mass of confusion ... Seems like they need a project manager over there :rolleyes: OK, I suppose then that the real question is: do we want to follow the WB-team lead (which is altogether confusing) or forge our own way more deliberatively in the interest of getting novice users successfully set up with STEP and properly maintaining it.

Won't it be simpler for these users to graduate to the SVN/Python methodology once they get their feet wet rather than throwing them into the deep end?

I think a short explanation would help towards this by explaining that this is a unique situation and normally SVN would be left to testers/developers.

OK, as Beald and Monty are not weighing in on this one, I am pretty much alone in the whole "let's deliberate" thing :(

So open the flood gates if you wish :yes: I will do my best to adapt :thumbsup:

EDIT: Found Beald's post (thanks Fri!). Further confirms SVN ...

OK, as Beald and Monty are not weighing in on this one, I am pretty much alone in the hole "let's deliberate" thing :(

So open the flood gates if you wish :yes: I will do my best to adapt :thumbsup:

Beald posted last page. I think we have a solid consensus on SVN until the nexus gets updated.

Go ahead and update the WBG if you want (& thanks again for writing this up). Suggest that we update the SIG to point to this methodology if the consensus agrees that it is clearer and more efficient to do so.

Go ahead and update the WBG if you want (& thanks again for writing this up). Suggest that we update the SIG to point to this methodology if the consensus agrees that it is clearer and more efficient to do so.

Thanks! Just checked it out on the WB wiki, and it looks great. Will update this evening once i get home by adding some more pics. Ill add them to discussion because i dont know much when it comes to good picture formatting/ style for wikis.

Thanks! Just checked it out on the WB wiki' date=' and it looks great. Will update this evening once i get home by adding some more pics. Ill add them to discussion because i dont know much when it comes to good picture formatting/ style for wikis.[/quote']I created a Wiki extension that uses Highslide to put images in a gallery. You can check out the Highslide test page for examples of how to add images and enable the gallery (and you can use it as a sandbox for testing images).