SMAA dll with Fallout NV ENB (v263)?

Adonis_VII

Question

Does the SMAA injector linked on the ENB wiki work with the Fallout versions of ENB?  I set it up as per the instructions, but I don't notice any improvement over vanilla ENB when using ULTRA.  The shimmer is everywhere and it's horrible.  For reference, I normally just run ENBoost with 8xQ [8x Multisampling], Transparency Multisampling Enabled, and Transparency Supersampling at 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling.  When testing with full ENB, I have everything set at default values for the driver, and turn off AA and AF in fallout ini.  This issue occurs when launching with MO, 4GB directly, NVSE directly, or the actual FalloutNV.exe so I'm not sure it is any of those in particular.  Single card or SLI (GTX980) doesn't change anything.  My install is done following F&L.

7 answers to this question

SMAA will never be able to do a quality equal to 8x MSAA, so do not expect that. It might at best be able to compete somewhat with 4x on a good day. The main reason to use it is that it cost not even a fraction of what MSAA does, and allow you to run with other effects that MSAA would prevent. 

If Aliasing is your major concern, either use MSAA and no effects, or downsample at higher resolutions.... if you got a 980 setup you should easily be able to do 1600p and still have a decent framerate. For information about how to do downsampling then do a search on the topic, loads of good sites that explain it in great detail. 

SMAA will never be able to do a quality equal to 8x MSAA, so do not expect that. It might at best be able to compete somewhat with 4x on a good day.

I would say this isn't true. I have super smooth lines and not a jaggy in sight in Skyrim using only ENB's EdgeAA and SMAA @ 1080p. I can disable EdgeAA and still get the same results using just SMAA. I only have EdgeAA enable for assurance of mind. SMAA is customizable as well so it can be as good or as bad as the user wants. Granted, customizing it beyond its default presets isn't for the average user.

For example, I don't remember where I got my version of SMAA but it does have an "uber" option that isn't in the default presets. This option is a card killer though! Mine is set to Medium, if I recall correctly.

If you use both then that is why.. however you will have blurred edges since that is all that edgeAA does. In combination with SMAA it will remove those last jagged bits, at the cost of some clarity for those who go pixel hunting. Some people just cant stand that. 

All SMAA are based on the same base code... just a few who have cranked up the settings to max. Specifically I think it was Oyama or midhras who named his SweetFX settings for Uber back in the day, and those settings files have since propagated around. However it will never be able to compete with MSAA in pure quality.. only in quality/performance ratio. And ofc. being software based it allows other effects to use the specifics that hardware AA normally would. 

Altering the SMAA is (in my opinion) also really easy... it specifically says in the default settings file what range the values go between, and how they alter quality. 

I personally just use 1440p and edgeAA... a few jagged egdes here and there at extreme angles, but that is to be expected... even 8x MSAA would have a hard time removing those. 

I guess part of it is the Fallout environment compared to Skryim.  There are alot of telephone poles, fences, and other objects with straight edges and thin transparent regions that are the worst culprits.  I had tried running it at 4k internal then downsampling but the fps was a bit low for me.  I didn't realize you could do it in increments smaller than x2 easily.  I'll look into that.  I'll do some more testing playing with settings.  Thanks for the advice guys.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head with that remark. In Skyrim I get away with running no AA (except SMAA but it does next to nothing, be it on high or uber) but there are games with straight edges and stuff as you said where the jaggies and flickering get really obnoxious even with SMAA / MSAA (Euro Truck 2 and AC Unity come to mind) and probably only SGSSAA will do a nice job of cleaning up the mess (perhaps TXAA in games which support it but even then...).