Problems with shadows and land pop ins

Deathwing514

Question

When playing Skyrim, I am getting land distance pop ins and also shadows popping in after i walk a couple feet toward anything. (example walking toward the whiterun stables from the nearby gate adds shadows to the fence and building the closer i get.)

Also in the distant mountains outside of whiterun, I am getting flickering shadows while moving in the mountain area.

I am trying my best to figure out the problem, but no solution that I have done seems to have worked.

I am using the vanilla enb, followed the step guide by the letter and only installed up to the texture pack combiner.

Any help from the community or the Step team would have my thanks.

PS: Shadow is on High

looks like the final version was around 8/1 I always use his latest beta so I recommend .119 in any case

I did update to 0.119... but of course don't want to change the entire look/feel of the ENB I'm using (Countervibe atm) which uses different/older fx files and is missing some entries in enbseries.ini.

Right now I'm using the old fx files included with Countervibe + sunsprite from 0.119 and modded the ini to set interiors to nighttime settings (since 0.119 separated out interiors). I have absolutely no idea what has changed inside the fx files so what I'm actually getting for results is unknown but all I've really tested so far was that shadow fix. I was just informed that Countervibe itself won't be updated (who knows if there is another project coming later though) so will have to see what I can come up with.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update my statues on my current situation.

It seems Enhanced Vanilla ENB will no longer be supported and the author is now endorsing Skyrealism as a better version of his.

As I was intrigued, I tried out skyrealism vanilla enb, which now supports 119, and realized the shadow pop ins and land pop ins that I had before disappeared completely.

However, the trade in was that my fps dropped from 60 to 40-50 range after installing this new enb with ssao/depth of field off.

I am now very satisfied with the results, as my main purpose of using enb in the first place was for the shadow fix and the support of project parallax.

PS: I also maxed out all the view distance in skyrim launcher instead of the 50% that STEP recommends. (maybe this could have been the problem for the land pop ins? Not sure)

Hey guys,

It seems Enhanced Vanilla ENB will no longer be supported and the author is now endorsing Skyrealism as a better version of his.

As I was intrigued, I tried out skyrealism vanilla enb, which now supports 119, and realized the shadow pop ins and land pop ins that I had before disappeared completely.

However, the trade in was that my fps dropped from 60 to 40-50 range after installing this new enb with ssao/depth of field off.

I am now very satisfied with the results, as my main purpose of using enb in the first place was for the shadow fix and the support of project parallax.

PS: I also maxed out all the view distance in skyrim launcher instead of the 50% that STEP recommends. (maybe this could have been the problem for the land pop ins? Not sure)

Where does STEP recommend 50% distance?  You should only be moving it down from max if your performance is too low.

Hey guys,

Where does STEP recommend 50% distance?  You should only be moving it down from max if your performance is too low.
Ill copy the instructions from STEP 2.2

Click on the [View Distance] tab. Make sure Object Detail Fade is unchecked and tweak the view distances by adjusting grass to 100% with all other settings around 50%.

Im pretty sure that was to help with stability in earlier versions of skyrim. Its not as needed now, since skyrim's code has been a bit more optimized and stable in recent patches.

That would make sense if it was implemented in earlier versions of STEP.

However previous versions of STEP have never suggested to reduce the distance of each one to 50% (besides grass) until the latest version of STEP 2.2.

I have tried both the 50% distance and the 100% distance setting and did not see any major fps loss or gain from either of those settings.

In truth I actually saw a slight increase of objects popping up that broke the immersion of my gameplay.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is, just increase your distance to 100% for each one unless your hardware cant handle it.

PS: ENB 119 has fixed most of the shadow problems and also implemented a new effect called skylighting that reduces your fps by 12-15%.

If you are confused as to why your fps dropped a good amount from 113 to 119, its because of this effect. Turn it off and it should increase your fps back to 113 range.

Hopefully this has benefited to people who were having similar problems like myself.

Yeah it appears that line completely slipped by the staff and all testers. Just ignore it it will be removed from any future versions.

This line was actually mentioned in the testing threads ^^ But whatever, at least now we know better :D

Yup, I'm fairly sure I mentioned it to Farlo as well.