Looking to make an update to a STEP Guide

SirGarnon

Question

Now that you have an account, you can use it to log into the wiki. From there you edit almost everything except the mod pages and the STEP Guide since they work in conjunction with each other.

Everything else you select the Edit option in the Page Tools dropdown and then edit the pages as you see fit. The syntax for wikis is pretty easy and you'll probably just be editing text anyways.

If you run into an issue, just let us know and we can help get the info up to date.

If it's on the mod page, we'll have to update it for you. Just reply here or PM one of the Staff do we can do it for you.

It looks like it may be protected.  It's the Recommendations blurb here:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Performance_Monitor

It basically contains some incorrect information that I would like to get updated.  If a PM or one of the Staff can update it for me, that's fine. 

I'm not sure if it's preferred to have those details hosted here on STEP, or instead hosted on Nexus where I can maintain the details; maybe a simple link from STEP to an article on Nexus?  I could use some advice on what is typical for the community.

Please let me know, thanks!

Hmmm... looking at what is there, I see that it does look rather incorrect. Don't you let SPM start MO and not the other way around? Haven't opened SPM for awhile :wallbash:

Yes, that's correct.  And this is an area where a lot of SPM users run into trouble; there are two paths in SPM that must be setup correctly.  One for TESV, and one for the launcher app (in this case MO). 

We maintain the mod pages here and they are mainly used for our purposes, only. We could easily provide a link to an article on Nexus that is on your Nexus mod page.

I like the idea of having some detail around this on STEP.  Since it's an ongoing issue though, I feel like I need to provide more information.  For example, step by step screenshots with explanation, etc. 

Maybe something like this to replace what is currently in the Recommendations section, and please feel free to apply any content edits as needed:

"When using an alternate launcher for Skyrim like Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE),  Mod Organizer (MO), or perhaps something else, please see this article on the SPM Nexus site for details:

Using SPM with SKSE, Mod Organizer, and other Launchers"

Edited by SirGarnon

@SirGarnon

Disclaimer before going any further. I haven't used this tool so I haven't seen it's UI 1st hand, Apologies if it is now different.

Question: In that Nexus article the screenshots show the first setting you ask for is the 'Skyrim INI File Path' yet in each shot it is directed to SkyrimPrefs.ini. Do you not find that to be misleading? The logical thing would be to either not show the actual ini file, if you only want to find the 'path', and let the tool decide which ini it needs. Or change the label to ask for the SkyrimPrefs path.

@SirGarnon

Disclaimer before going any further. I haven't used this tool so I haven't seen it's UI 1st hand, Apologies if it is now different.

Question: In that Nexus article the screenshots show the first setting you ask for is the 'Skyrim INI File Path' yet in each shot it is directed to SkyrimPrefs.ini. Do you not find that to be misleading? The logical thing would be to either not show the actual ini file, if you only want to find the 'path', and let the tool decide which ini it needs. Or change the label to ask for the SkyrimPrefs path.

Thanks for the feedback.  There are two INI files, and for SPM, they are only used in the two tabs called "INI Changes" and "INI Settings".  SPM does set a default, however either file can be used, and this does not effect performance at all.  In fact, any .ini file could entered here, and it would have not any impact other than to show non-Bethesda settings.   The SkyrimPrefs.ini shown in the screenshot you mention is probably from my own personal settings, but to your point can lead to questions, so I will add a note to the documentation.

Edited briefly. Better than it was, but we'll have to go back over it to make sure we don't need to apply some of the other settings.

Thanks for making the update.

Based on the current content, what is there is describing two distinct categories:

1) Installation and Basic Setup.

2) Configuring for use with MO.

Also, the screenshot of the setup is from an old version of SPM, and is no longer representative.   I'll write something up tonight and post it here for review.

Here's an updated version; please feel free to tweak any grammar as needed:

Installing Skyrim Performance Monitor:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of .NET for your system:
 Windows XP users should install Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0

Windows Vista or later should install Microsoft .NET Framework v4.5
2. Download the mod from the mod page and extract the zip archive.
3. Install the SlimDX Runtime .NET 2.0 (January 2012).msi included in the archive.
(If you're upgrading to a new version of SPM and already have SlimDX installed, there's no need to uninstall/reinstall SlimDX. You can simply skip this step).
4. Install Skyrim Performance Monitor by running the setup.exe included in the archive. The default install location is in Documents. You may change this according to your preference.
IMPORTANT NOTE! Please remember to completely uninstall any previous versions of SPM first.

Initial Setup of Skyrim Performance Monitor:
1. Launch Skyrim Performance Monitor and click the "Setup..." button at bottom right.
2. Select your Primary Gaming Video Card from the drop-down in the Primary Video Card tab.
3. Click Save.

Configuring Skyrim Performance Monitor for use with Mod Organizer:

1. Launch Skyrim Performance Monitor and click the "Setup..." button at bottom right.
2. Go to the "File Paths" tab and point the Skyrim Launcher File Path to your ModOrganizer.exe:
Example for Mod Organizer, and other launchers:
 https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/articles/49619
3. Click Save.
4. Click the "Launch Skyrim" button at bottom right which will now start Mod Organizer. From there, you can select your desired profile and launch SKSE to run Skyrim and monitor its performance.

Edited by SirGarnon