Immersive Horses is a lightweight overhaul mod which aims to improve on nearly every aspect of horses in Skyrim while remaining as true as possible to the original game. Immersive Horses also implements a follower system designed specifically for horses and it adds a range of new commands and options for horses far beyond the simple vanilla mount and dismount functionality.
Initially, any horse you acquire will display a horse options menu when activated:
- "Ride" or "Dismount" - Normal activation for mounting or dismounting the horse.
- "Follow Me" or "Wait Here" - Command the horse to follow you or wait where it is.
- "Talk/Search" - Talk to NPCs and search NPC corpses (while mounted).
- "Open Inventory" - Access the horse's inventory and/or change the horse's saddle/barding/etc.
- "Show Stats" - Display the horse's statistics: health, stamina, speed, etc.
- "Dismiss" - Dismiss the horse so it returns to the stable or area where it was found.
- "Manage Horses..." - More options for your horses (see options below).
If you have more than one horse, the "Manage Horses..." option will display a list of all of your horses. Choosing one from the list will display an extended menu for that horse with additional options:
- "Whistle" - Whistle for the horse to come to you (requires Whistle).
- "Change Aggression..." - Set the horse's aggression to: Unaggressive, Aggressive, Very Aggressive, Frenzied.
- "Change Confidence..." - Set the horse's confidence to: Cowardly, Cautious, Average, Brave, Foolhardy.
- "Rename..." - Change the horse's name.
- "Swap Positions..." - Swap the horse's position with that of another horse in the list.
If you'd prefer not to see the horse options menu every time, then you can use the Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) to map certain options hotkeys instead. This includes various commands such as Whistle, Talk/Search, Open Inventory, and display of the horse list menu ([H] by default). The default actions for standing, sneaking, and mounted activation can also be changed in the MCM. There is also an option to protect all horses from death by any source except the player. Additionally, followers can ride any horses you own if you use a follower overhaul mod that supports it, such as Extensible Follower Framework. It is possible to own a total of 40 horses.
It's supposedly much more lightweight than Convenient Horses, which is fairly script heavy.
I've been using this for a while now and it seems to work really well.
It also uses the krittakitty's horse textures.