Immersive Horses (by sevencards)

Octopuss

Love the new horse shapes and what not. And the auto-loot function of CH will not be missed by me - something I always turned off. I've already made the swap, and for the moment I have no intention of turning back. Followers are of no importance to me - all they ever do is get in the way of my bow shots and tell everyone where I'm sneaking.

Good news Shadriss. 

(Unless I missed something) could you detail whether this is a clean install of IH, or mid-game?  "made the swap" can be read a couple ways, and if possible, I'd like to ditch CH on my current play through since I've experienced some CH script issues.  Was any other special install treatment required, or was it a simple substitution in a STEP install?

I also leave autoloot turned off, but still enjoy the company of a follower on occassion. It somehow makes it less lonely, and there are often hilarious AI moments...  I can also see how it would depend on what kind of character you are role-playing, I haven't played enough to explore them all yet.

Edited by Bandy

I can confirm this mods doesn't "give" your followers a horse from out of nowhere. I have yet to purchase a second horse to see if that works. So far I like the ease-of-use with this mod. I have changed my standing and mount activation to mounting and dismounting the horse and hotkey-ed the default horse menu to the "H" key. So far this has worked very well for me.

Good news Shadriss. 

(Unless I missed something) could you detail whether this is a clean install of IH, or mid-game?  "made the swap" can be read a couple ways, and if possible, I'd like to ditch CH on my current play through since I've experienced some CH script issues.  Was any other special install treatment required, or was it a simple substitution in a STEP install?

It was a clean install, but mostly because I was changing to Vivid Weathers. It replaced a whole bunch of mods in my LO, so a new DynDOLOD run was needed, and there was no way I was going to do that mid-game.

I have always used CH in the past, for many playthroughs - made the switch with my last setup change and will never look back.  It doesn't have as many options for companions' horses, but for a couple key features I will take it any day;  It is noticeably more lightweight, and in a heavily modded setup such as I run, cutting any fat is appreciated;  the KrittaKitty Realistic Primitive Horse Breeds textures that come with, in addition to the variation of strengths and weaknesses among different breeds, and the treatment of unique horses... I mean, this is big.  It adds diversity, realism, and depth to the game;  naming your horse is great;  and finally, the trot/canter/gallop functionality is excellent as well.

The necessity of follower mods for follower horse support is unfortunate, as I don't use EFF... but I will live without it, for the other great features.  Somebody really needs to come along and make a truly lightweight follower mod, something that simply allows for a total of 3 companions, possibly some small functionality tweaks to AI, and horse support... that's all I need, and all I want.

*EDIT - follower mods not needed, thank you Simple Follower Mount! https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70823/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D70823%26preview%3D&pUp=1  use this now and it works great.

Edited by baronaatista
  • +1 1

• 2 weeks later...

My only problem with it was that it never loaded at all.

I double and triple checked to see if it was installed, and it was, but no MCM, no nothing.

I'd go back to CH(I miss that so much) but with my lagging quest scripts I'm leery.

I wonder if it needs an seq file to start the script. Seq can be generated in xedit by right clicking on the plugin and hovering over options or something near the bottom of the list.

I dont recall anyone else on the issue but I had this with another mod I helped out on, the mod just wouldn't start the mcm

There is a very small chance that the lack of seq prevent proper quest initialization, but this shouldn't happen on regular setup.

Not sure what could be causing it. Seq are essentially required for new dialogs to be registered, but scripts should still be processed normally as far as all the testing I did about it go.

• 1 month later...

I've been trying this out as everyone says to use it instead of Convenient Horses but...

I simply cannot get the "talk" function to work, no matter what button its bound to, nothing happens. I particularly want to loot corpses from horseback its really tedious to keep having to get off my horse. Some functions work, whistle, open inventory, but most do not. I'm really not sure why.

CH horses works just fine with everything.

This mod lets you name horses you own, which your followers could use, but something like EFF is needed to actually enable them to use it. I would definitely use this mod over Convenient Horses, but I like Horse Commands by Kuertee because it is lightest script-wise and accomplishes what I need- so it wins for me.

Hi nice suggestion but lack of talk while on horseback rule it out for me unfortunately.

I have only played with the mod a short while so I can't really answer that. I have also not actively played Skyrim for a long time so my memory of CH is somewhat blurred, too.

It, very subjectively, feels more lightweight than CH, the configuration feels better, and the horse management looks awesome.

I guess you'll have to try it yourself :P There are some interesting new features, and it's supposedly much less script intensive.

It definitely feels lighter than CH, but somewhat light on functionality too.

Love the new horse shapes and what not. And the auto-loot function of CH will not be missed by me - something I always turned off. I've already made the swap, and for the moment I have no intention of turning back. Followers are of no importance to me - all they ever do is get in the way of my bow shots and tell everyone where I'm sneaking.

I love the auto loot of CH its one thing this is severely missing, followers horses too. And I honestly have no interest in extra horse breeds if I really wanted those I'd have installed a separate mod for it. I just want the existing horses to be more... convenient.

Edited by soupdragon

• 1 month later...

It definitely feels lighter than CH, but somewhat light on functionality too.

I love the auto loot of CH its one thing this is severely missing, followers horses too. And I honestly have no interest in extra horse breeds if I really wanted those I'd have installed a separate mod for it. I just want the existing horses to be more... convenient.

I am also lazy sometimes, especially if it comes to loot.

For looting on horseback I use Jaxson's Smart Auto Loot continued. This works fine for picking up loose stuff like plants and items, it also mines ore on horseback. The corpse looting and talking to NPC for IH is a little laggy, but this is due to the engine not recognizing the key stroke, if you hit the right moment it works fine.

I do not like imaginary horses for followers out of nowhere, with IH every horse is like a unique NPC. You can equip, assign and customize every horse's behaviour individually.

If the horse runs off during combat, you need to catch it.

You can share a horse with your follower, sometimes I walk and he rides, sometimes I ride it and he walks. This is soooo immerive ;)

You can always whistle for the horse.

OOO.. you like my mod yes? :D  I'm excited to see you guys are testing it out.

I literally decided to call it Immersive Horses because I knew people would talk about it simply for using the term 'immersive'.  Also, it was better than 'Improved Horse Overhaul', which was the original (crappy) name.

I'm actively working on the next major update, which I'm calling version 2.0 for simplicity, though not much will change.  The next release is mostly bug fixes and generic changes for compatibility with other mods.

Followers riding horses or fighting on horseback will never be integrated into Immersive Horses because those features rely heavily on the follower's AI packages and/or scripting and that's out of scope for my mod.  I don't want to be fighting follower mods for control over their followers.  A dedicated follower mod could do a better job with it anyway.

As far as scripting goes, I guess you just have to take a scripter's word for it because it depends entirely on what the scripts are doing, not necessarily how many or how complex they are.  What I can say is that the latest version of my mod doesn't use any OnUpdate loops at all and I don't use the cloaking method to apply scripts to horses dynamically either - instead the scripts attach at the race level for horses.  The entire mod runs on a few thousand lines of code, which is a fraction of the size of the scripts for Convenient Horses and yet it delivers a similar feature set.

I hear from my users that switching from Convenient Horses to Immersive Horses mid-save is possible...  but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you're doing and you feel you absolutely must.  I imagine a script cleaner would be necessary to really nuke out the CH scripts, then you may need to kill some or all of your horses or use console commands to force them to respawn to recycle AI, stats, factions, etc.  Possibly other things I can't think of right now.

Anyhoo... let me know if you guys find any bugs or have any ideas for improvement. :)

• +1 1

FYI, Immersive Horses has been updated to v2.0. Some neat changes.

From the changelog:

Upgrading: After upgrade, go into the MCM and remove and re-add the horse powers to gain the new Horse Ownership power.

Upgrading: Removed the deprecated HorseList array, so upgrading from version 1.5 or older requires reclaiming all horses.

Added a lesser power that can be used to give a horse to a follower, adopt a temporary horse, or change horse ownership.

The three horse powers can now be cast while mounted on a horse due to the PowerInstantRecovery keyword.

Added an MCM toggle to automatically trigger the herd wait command when you dismount your horse.

Added Blackreach, Soul Cairn, Forgotten Vale, Dayspring Canyon to the RidableWorldSpaces in the INI.

Horses with Actor Value WaitingForPlayer = -1 are now ignored by the horse ownership scripts for inter-mod compatibility.

Moved the notification messages to the INI file so they can be customized.

Bugfix: Added all vanilla and DLC worldspaces to the RidableWorldSpaces in the INI in case DLCs are missing.

Bugfix: Horses now only equip saddles (saddle slot 45) or items with keywords listed in HorseArmorKeywords in the INI.

Bugfix: The UnarmedDamage and SpeedMult actor values for horses are now persisted directly from the INI file.

Bugfix: The skooma bandit horse in Whiterun is now a temporary spawn again so she can be adopted and given a new home.

Just saying, I did the upgrade and all the former interfaces are still there. You do not need to use those lesser powers or configure any hotkeys, but can still just call Horse Power Menu and do everything from there. You can also still adopt horses by just going to sneak and click on them.

I am one of those guys, who doesn't need a hotkey for everything ;)

Edited by disi

FYI, Immersive Horses has been updated to v2.0. Some neat changes.

From the changelog:

Interesting, I might check it out.

n.b. how do you get one of those shiny "Mod Author" titles? I have a few mods on Nexus but none of them have been featured here. ;)