SKSE (Through MO) Yields a Broken Main Menu

CedricVii

Question

So, I've been playing Skyrim on PC for a week or so, and I've been using NMM as my mod loader. Having heard, however, that Mod Organizer was more effective, I decided to bite the bullet and make the switch today. After reinstalling the game (for the sake of starting fresh in MO), I got to reestablishing the mods I'd been using. Or, rather, I tried to. I began by installing SKSE, following the S.T.E.P. Tutorial on the matter (for reference, this was said tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT8fdyzTmiE). 

During the installation, I came across the first issue. In the tutorial, the narrator states (linked here: https://youtu.be/AT8fdyzTmiE?t=3m19s) that, upon restarting MO, the SKSE extension should be automatically detected in the "Run Program" dropdown menu. However, for me, it was not. As such, I simply went through the process of manually configuring the executable for it (copying, exactly, the directory shown in the video). I restarted MO and selected the SKSE extension in the dropdown. Then I clicked "Run."

This is where things get really hairy. Per usual, the game booted up, seemingly normally. There was no immediate CTD. I reached the Bethesda logo, and that played normally. Then I reached the main menu. Except, that's the problem. It was barely a main menu. The image below shows what I was confronted with:

86DgnJh.jpg

Now, naturally, I immediately headed off to Google to try and find a solution. I was, however, only able to find a few instances of this issue in others' posts. A response (https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/950116-skyrim-start-screen-boxessquares-instead-of-menu-options/page-2) to one such post suggested that there was a problem with the "Interface" folder. However, this was not the case. 

After this, I decided to test the SKSE Launcher without launching it via MO. When I launched it via the .exe, it worked perfectly normally. I was able to get to the main menu and into the game. However, when I tested it with MO once more, the previous problem persisted. At this point, I'm at my wits' end trying to figure this out. I really want to be able to use MO, but I can't, because of this. 

[TL;DR]: SKSE doesn't work through MO, but it works fine on its own. 

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. I've got no more ideas.

3 answers to this question

When you start Skyrim from MO does the menu still look corrupted with the missing fonts issue? It should. I can't think of any reason why/how SKSE could cause that problem.

I would create a new profile and install only a bare minimum of mods to check the problem.

Firstly delete the original ini files in your My Documents folder and run the Skyrim launcher to create new ones.

Then create a new profile in MO which will use these new inis as a base.

Any edits that may have corrupted something shouldn't exist in these versions.

Start the game from MO, both with and without skse, and see what the result is.

• +1 1

I'm having a similar issue after a new computer with fresh install of everything. In my case, it recognized SKSE, but it wouldn't launch, saying the file "" wasn't detected. I had to change the parameters (and I'm not sure if I did so correctly) to get it to work. Then, I launched the game, main menu loaded fine, but when I tried to start a new game it just sat there with smoke and the main theme.

Not sure what's up with the new MO. Might have to uninstall everything and go back to 1.2.

When you start Skyrim from MO does the menu still look corrupted with the missing fonts issue? It should. I can't think of any reason why/how SKSE could cause that problem.

I would create a new profile and install only a bare minimum of mods to check the problem.

Firstly delete the original ini files in your My Documents folder and run the Skyrim launcher to create new ones.

Then create a new profile in MO which will use these new inis as a base.

Any edits that may have corrupted something shouldn't exist in these versions.

Start the game from MO, both with and without skse, and see what the result is.

Thank you so much. It took me a little while, having to go back and fix some mistakes I made along the way and all (I wanted to make sure I did exactly as you suggested), but I finally got it. I'm so glad to be able to play now, haha. Thanks again, so much!