When should I use DDSopt?

Shadowbane1213

Question

So I'm completely new to STEP and am confused about when to use DDSopt.  It says that the utility can be used at any time after a certain step in the guide (forget where I saw that), but that's pretty general.  Should I use it on the vanilla textures right after installation?  Should I go through the entire guide and use it on both vanilla and modded textures afterward?  Can I go through the guide and use it on modded textures only and be okay?  Help?

Edit:  Found it.  This page says that it can be used at any time past step 1.B.

https://wiki.step-project.com/DDSopt#Recommendations

Edited by Shadowbane1213

3 answers to this question

It's correct, but it's likely be updated when 2.2.9.1 is released since STEP has put some optimized vanilla textures on Nexus. You can read the initial parts of the Skyrim DDSopt Quickstart guide which mentions that there are choices including the use of several options for pre-built optimized textures, or optimizing the textures yourself using DDSopt. If you choose to do this yourself (vs. using one of the already optimized versions) it's probably easiest to do after installing all the mods in the STEP guide.