TES5Edit Backup and .esp

tornocean

Question

Using a combination of forums, guides and videos I was able to piece together mostly what I needed. I now have two files for Dawnguard. GamerPoets states when there are two files for the different cleans and nefftd states I need to clean Dawnguard twice. Do I need to save both for this or just to most recent one?

https://youtu.be/eYg_kl2RrZY?t=1m56s          -        GamerPoets 

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/beginners_guide    -                   nefftd 
Disclaimer: Dawnguard's master file should be cleaned twice. Follow the instructions as per the video, and then go back and clean Dawnguard.esm once more. The issue is benign, but there's no harm in it and LOOT will continue to warn you about dirty edits if you do not.

Dawnguard.esm.backup.2015_04_14_21_36_17
Dawnguard.esm.backup.2015_04_14_21_43_40

Also not 100% sure but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere. Do I have to clean the Official Highrestexturepack.esp files?

Steam - Up to date
Skyrim - Cleaned and up to date
Loot - up to date
IE - up to date
TES5Edit - up to date

2 answers to this question

I think what you are asking is whether you need to keep both of those backup files? If that is what you are asking, then the answer is no.

In fact you don't need to keep either of them. If, for any reason, you need the vanilla files restored, the best method is to just verify them using the Steam client. This is where GamerPoet's suggestion and I differ. What Michael states though is accurate, but in my opinion, unnecessarily cumbersome.

Dawnguard.esm -- cleaned with TES5Edit produces a cleaned version and the first backup = Dawnguard.esm.backup.2015_04_14_21_36_17

Dawnguard.esm (this result of the first clean) -- cleaned a 2nd time results in a new Dawnguard.esm and the 2nd backup = Dawnguard.esm.backup.2015_04_14_21_43_40 which is the same file as the cleaned Dawnguard from the first pass.

The two yellow files are the same.

There should be no need to clean the HiRes plugins as these only call the textures into the game. If you use MO there is also no need to have these plugins active as the BSAs they call can be loaded without them.