Campfire - Complete Camping System (by Chesko)

EssArrBee

Campfire - Complete Camping System (by Chesko)

Can't believe no one made a thread for this right after it launched. Anyways...  Chesko has another mod with ridiculous realism for crafting survival equipment and camping out in Skyrim.

Check out the detailed info for the mod here: https://skyrimsurvival.com/home/campfire/

This mod is not compatible with Frostfall until v3 comes out.

I've been testing out the mod.  It seems pretty good.  Some things I don't like about it though currently are some of the crafting dynamics.  Namely ingredients requirements to craft items using survival skills versus the requirements to craft those same or similar items at professional crafting stations.  As an example: try cooking beef over a campfire, then try cooking beef at a kitchen fire.  Campfire requires 1 raw beef.  Normal kitchen requires 1 raw beef and 1 salt pile.  The resulting cooked beef product is exactly the same.  If anything, crafting using survival skills should be more restrictive ingredients-wise than a crafting at a professional crafting station, or the resulting product from using survival skills should be inferior.  Or how about the mod-added stone arrow that can be crafted in the field - compare it to an iron arrow.  An iron arrow does 8 dmg and costs 1 gp.  The stone arrow does 9 dmg and is considered worthless.  Why would a primitive stone construct be more effective than an iron product - that's not right.

And then Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade should be patched for, as the crafting requirements for items seem to be kind of out of balance with Campfire crafting requirements.

Those issues are keeping me from diving in.

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

I can agree with the arrow.

If there is anything in game that is also in real life, I prefer it to be realistic and match what I'd expect in real life. With that said, on the cooking of the beef, you really don't need salt to cook beef. Sure it'll make it taste better but it's not necessary.

Food is not the only craftable product with this sort of dilemma, but is the one I chose to use as an example.  Regarding the food though, if salt is not used then the cooked beef product should somehow be lower quality.  The weight shouldn't change, but that would leave either lowering the monetary value or the effects it has when consumed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't see the issue of food being cooked while camping without salt, sure it isn't going to taste quite as good with something like beef or venison but nutritionally it is equivalent. Cooking at home or in an inn you're going to want to add salt to the cooking process. By the same token spit roasting a river trout or salmon, stuffed with foraged wild garlic or other herb it is my personal idea of foodie camping heaven. Also roasting mud crabs in their shells...

I will stop now getting hungry.

Maybe Chesko needs to add something like the Hunterborn skill improvement at some point then. You start off cooking venison camping style and you burn half the meet making a filling meal a medium meal and a medium meal a snack. It could also leave the food half cooked. This in turn leads to a chance of food poisoning or disease. Over time your skill improves and you become adpet at campfire cooking making it as sustaining and healthy as home/inn cooked food.

I would really like to see Chesko and Unuroboros work together more as the two mods compliment each other so well and Teabag86 has made a great patch for the two mods.

Edited by paradoxbound

Yes - that could be a possible solution: a rate of failure to properly cook the meat.  Either you overcook the meat and end up with meat that is either less filling (according to needs mods like iNeed) and/or has a lower healing value, or you undercook the meat and end up with meat that could actually harm you (some sort of food poisoning-type effects) - maybe lower your health or stamina or something.

• 3 months later...