Star Wars: Battlefront

Neovalen

It should be called a engine "cut-scene" trailer, not gameplay trailer.

You have to scour, but there are short descriptions of the UI and play modes to be found all over the place, to piece together into a mental image.

It would have been much nicer to have an actual game play preview. Probably not close to finalized yet.

• +1 1

One of my students was showing me stuff you could do with UE4. It's all pretty impressive. Dice and Crytek have engines about on par with UE4 and they all seem to be approaching some photorealism. I fully expect the next gen of engines to have ray tracing. Not that fake ray casting stuff either, I mean actual light physics. 

Oh they do... the problem is doing it at 60 FPS stable. Even at 30 FPS. The code is developed and can be put into the engines, like you can change render engine into something much more fancy.. problem is ofc. that they are unstable and as such not suitable for game engines. 

The stuff that even blender can do will make UE4 look like meh. But again the horse power required to do it at any remotely acceptable FPS... 

But it is clear that this gen is all about the lighting. AO, volumetric lights, much better shadow simulations, in general better optimizations that allow a scene to be lit entirely by point lights rather than ambient lighting. 

Ofc. the general increase in texture resolution is also a good and really needed thing, but I somehow still feel that developers are going too slow in this regard. It is weird why they do not juts make the epic 4k and above textures, and then just have options settings to scale them down to what people can actually use. That way everybody would win. That was one thing I liked about the witchers engine.. where they have those silly options for those who can do it. 

Oh they do... the problem is doing it at 60 FPS stable. Even at 30 FPS. The code is developed and can be put into the engines, like you can change render engine into something much more fancy.. problem is ofc. that they are unstable and as such not suitable for game engines. 

The stuff that even blender can do will make UE4 look like meh. But again the horse power required to do it at any remotely acceptable FPS... 

But it is clear that this gen is all about the lighting. AO, volumetric lights, much better shadow simulations, in general better optimizations that allow a scene to be lit entirely by point lights rather than ambient lighting. 

Ofc. the general increase in texture resolution is also a good and really needed thing, but I somehow still feel that developers are going too slow in this regard. It is weird why they do not juts make the epic 4k and above textures, and then just have options settings to scale them down to what people can actually use. That way everybody would win. That was one thing I liked about the witchers engine.. where they have those silly options for those who can do it. 

Partially because if all the textures start at 4k, the game download gets huge.

Actual shot of the first and third person perspectives makes the engine look mucho caliente to me.

dEsyAxc.jpg

Very nice. Yeah people have seen in game demos but can't show footage to the public and said the graphics really are representative from the trailer.

• 1 month later...

Way more excited for DICE's other game which is coming out on my birthday. Gonna be doing awesome building hopping in a red, white, and yellow city while ditching work.  ::):

Going to assume you mean Mirrors Edge: Catalyst?

OP Updated With Co-Op trailer released at the Sony Conference. God I can't wait to get my hands on this game... its going to be a long bunch of months. Luckily I have Witcher 3 to keep me busy. :)

On another note: Mass Effect Andromeda teaser looked really fun. :)